1. Yomayra Martinó Visitor Scholar Payson Center for International Development Tulane UniversityMarch 28, 2012Multipurpose Room – LawSchool Tulane UniversityNew Orleans, LA
2.  Relational overview: Energy, Environment and Sustainable Development. Energy Sector and Regulation Environmental Dispositions related to Energy Final Considerations
3. http://www.green-the- http://www.green-the-world.net/definition_of_energy.htm world.net/definition_of_energy.html l
4.  Natural resources as raw material of energy production Water use in the energy generation process Hydrocarbons: international market -- delivered through maritime transportation Energy generation produce pollution, by definition Climate changes due to increased energy consumption
7.  Energy is illumination, transportation, production, health, education, economic growth… Directly related to economic and human development worldwide. Affects the sustainability of the natural resources, the biodiversity and the future of the human kind.
8. Production chain activitiesPower Generation and ClimateChangePro-environmental Policies
9. PricesQuality of SupplyMarket Performance
10.  Requirement of environmental licenses or permits as a condition of industrial activity in the energy sector Water quality and discharge control Air quality and carbon emissions Periodical reports demonstrating compliance with terms of licenses or permits
11.  Fuel oil dependency Año: 2010 Electric system Hidroelectricida d Biomasa 4% transmission losses 5% Carbón 7% Increase of consumption Gas Natural 11% patterns Petroleo y Lack of knowledge Derivados 73% Absence of an Energetic Efficiency Legal Framework
13.  Principle of Permanent Sovereignty over Natural Resources: Foreign investment vs. national development and interest. Rio Earth Summit – Rio de Janeiro, 1992 - Agenda 21 and the Rio Declaration - Climate Change Convention/Kyoto Protocol and Biological Diversity Convention Millennium Summit - Millennium Declaration - Millennium Development Goals : Goal #7 and #8
14. Rio + 20: (84 days) UNDPs efforts in energy for SD to support the achievement of: Transition to Green Economy and Poverty  Universal access to Eradication modern energy for the poor Institutional Framework  Enhanced quality, security and affordability of modern energyhttp://www.green-the- http://www.undp.org/content/undp/enworld.net/definition_of_energy.html /home/ourwork/environmentandenergy /focus_areas/sustainable-energy.html
15.  Climate Change vs. Economic development Power consumption = development stages New job sources or pollution sources? Water access and development Environmental responsibility, energy and economic growth, among others.
16. How do you contribute to the sustainable development? Can current energy patterns and environmental protection coexist?
17. Yomayra J. Martinóymartino@email@example.com @Ymartino