FOSS stands for Free and Open Source software.
Satisfy 4 degrees of freedom as stated by FSF-
• Freedom to run the program for any purpose
• Freedom to study how the program works, change it to
make it to do what you wish.
• Freedom to redistribute copies to help others.
• Freedom to distribute copies of your modified versions
Why use FOSS?
• The availability of the source code.
• The right of code modification,
improvement and redistribution.
• Large base of developers and users.
• Have an alternative.
• Free marketing and support.
Why FOSS is not yet popular?
• General lack of awareness about the Free
Software and its existence.
• Hardware vendors usually bundle
Windows with their systems and do not
offer choice to the customer!
• False thinking of less user friendliness in
Benefits of Using FOSS
• Reducing total cost of Ownership.
• Piracy, IPR
FOSS tools for CS academics
Proprietary Software Free Software* Download
Oracle 11g Database MySQL http://dev.mysql.com/dow
Xylinx GNU Electrical-
IIS Apache httpd.apache.org/downlo
MS VB Gambas- Development
environment based on a
Basic interpreter with
FOSS alternatives for everyday use
Application area Proprietary Free Software* Download
Operating system MS Windows Fedora GNU/Linux www.fedoraprojec
Office Suite MS Office Openoffice.org or
Email client Microsoft Outlook Mozilla
Internet Browser Microsoft Internet
Mozilla Firefox http://www.mozill
Media Windows Media
VLC Player http://www.videol
Graphics Adobe Photoshop GIMP http://www.gimp.
Several distributions(distros) available to
First things First
Know about your PC/Laptop/Notebook-
• Processor type and model(Intel family/AMD)
• Processor speed(normally in Ghz)
• RAM size(Physical Memory)
• Hard disk drive size
• Graphics Memory
BIOS settings to Boot from media
• Go to BIOS by pressing del key before
• Go to Advanced BIOS features.
• Select your first boot device.
• If you prefer to boot from CD/DVD media,
select it as your first boot device followed
by HDD or Removable disk.
• Save and reboot by pressing F10
P.S : This setting vary from machine to machine depending upon your vendor.
Insert and boot from your media to get this
Now simply press
Enter to proceed.
Two ways for RedHat based systems-
• RPM(RedHat Package Manager)
• YUM(Yellowdog Updater, Modified)
• Know about your kernel and architecture
type. (Use “uname – a” command)
• Download the required rpm file from
internet(rpm.pbone.net , rpmfind.net)
• Install using command-
$su – c “rpm –ivh filename.rpm”
• Press Enter and give your root password and
wait until the prompt returns.
• Sometimes this may result in dependency
problems if they’re not resolved.
• More easier way to install any
• No need to worry about type of kernel and
• But you need internet connection during
• Command is-
# yum install pkgname
You can use virtualization software to install an
Operating system inside an existing Operating
Limitations: Some devices are not detected and
there must be minimum of 2Gb RAM.
Available virtualization software are-
• Virtual Box
• VMware Player
Installing Virtual Box is as simple as installing any simple
But while installing Operating system inside Virtual box, be
sure to save your virtual drive outside host machine drive.
You can install as many Operating systems as you wish
unless you run out of memory.!
Only .iso image of the OS is enough to install it and no need
of external cd/dvd while installing in virtual box.
Creating new virtual machine in VB:
Click on “New” in the main window.
Select your OS from top down menu and
give some name to the virtual machine.
File system check error
Give root password for maintenance (or type
Ctrl D to Reboot)
Enter root password to get the prompt
Now simply type “fsck” and press Enter
Press y when it asks-
Type “reboot” when the prompt returns
Now fedora boots normally if the errors are fixed by
Rescue the lost Fedora
• This works only if the partition of Fedora is
not formatted or deleted while installing
• Need original type of fedora media to
• Boot your media to get the following
screen and select “Rescue installed
Select “Rescue installed system”
and press Enter
• Start the Grub shell with the grub command:
• This will show the grub shell like this-
• Use the find command to locate the partition
containing the boot files by searching
for /boot/grub/grub.conf . Grub will report
the partition using its own syntax:
grub> find /grub/grub.conf
• Use the root command to configure the
partition from which the boot files are to be
loaded (use the partition ID from last step):
grub> root (hd0,0)
Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
• Use the setup command with this drive ID to
install the Grub bootloader code:
grub> setup (hd0)
• Quit the Grub shell with quit:
• Type reboot to get back your Fedora-
• Now fedora boots along side with
Windows like it was before.
If there’s any problem with the use of GNU/Linux
and FOSS, then feel free to ask..
We’re on Facebook-