1. Strategic Planning in an era ofGlobalization Nat Yogachandra October 11, 2008
2. Book TitlesTo be published: Globalization and Cultural Competency www.natyogachandra.blogspot.com www.hopeislife.org Nat Yogachandra - www.google.com
3. What is the Nationality
4. What is the Nationality
5. What is the Nationality
6. What is the Nationality
7. The Big THREE factors China has drove down the cost of manufacturing Major Retailers are driving down the cost of retailing India/other developing countries are driving down cost in services - outsourcing
8. Medical Tourists A clinic recently opened in MumbaiPrivate heart surgery in England is $50,000The same cost applies to joint replacement,neurosurgery and cancer treatmentHospitals in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia,India are competing to get foreign patients
9. Business Today Business are operated across cultures today Deﬁnition of success now travel beyond national boundaries Modern business has become more competitive World on the edge US ﬁnancial crisis - running out of options India, China and Russia gaining power West is losing control - UN
10. What is a Business Plan It is the blueprint that sets you going towards your goals. Look upon it as the roadmap that tells you and the world how you expect your company (organisation) to achieve its stated objectives. A business plan is an important communication tool that details the ﬁnancial strategy and goals of the organisation.
11. Planning is about…Planning is about learningPlanning is about increasing thepossibilities for the organisationPlanning is about discovering how ﬁt theorganisation is for its environmentPlanning is about discovering and tellingcompelling stories about the future
12. Value Proposition Value proposition is what an organization does, that will cause their clients to realize tangible benefits through the use of their product or service. Value proposition is more than just the service you provide; or how you sell, service, or distribute it. It’s how you string all those components together, to best serve your clients and deliver them real value. Value proposition can be both a description of how your organization adds value today, and also a concrete statement of your vision for the future.
13. Basic Business Planning Process Where are we nowHow do we Where doknow when we want towe get there go How do we get there
14. Where are PEST analysis we now SWOT analysis How do we Where do know when we want to we get there go What needs to be done(Source: Glasgow Social Economy Partnership)
15. PEST Analysis Scan the external macro-environment Political Economic Social Technological
16. PEST Analysis Political Technological Factors Tax policy Automation employment laws Technology incentives environmental Technological change regulations Political stability Economic Factors Economic Growth Interest rates Exchange rates Inﬂation rates Social Factors Health consciousness Age distribution Emphasis on safety
17. SWOT analysis OUR STRENGTH OUR WEAKNESS For the past three months, great Fuzzy line of authorityprogress observed (parents responseto our communications, quality of Responsibility to individuals – noprogram and implementation of our authoritypromises) Process & Procedures – Infrastructure- facilities implementation is weak Great show at the ICSE Board Exam Difficulty in sustaining programsResults in 2006 Quality of students joined last New members added to the faculty three months not promising OUR OPPORTUNITIES THREATS More schools are coming in the Rising income for middle area with similar or better facilities class families IB is gaining popularity Government’s willingness to Lack of a unique positioning of issue more student visas our School (except for the location) More housing estates in the Positioning of the School – neighboring area School for students with learning disability or disciplinary problems
18. Where are PEST analysis we now SWOT analysisHow do we Where doknow when we want towe get there go What needs to be done
19. Where do we want to goTool Purpose BeneﬁtVision Statement of the Future Motivation and InspirationMission Describes how you will Communication and achieve the vision understanding. Part of belonging.Values An organizations’ way Underpins all that you of doing things doAims Describe a desired end Milestones between the result present and the future
20. Vision and Mission Statements A vision statement: what the company wants to be. It concentrates on future; it is a source of inspirations and courage. A mission statement: tell you what the company is now. It concentrates on present; it deﬁnes the customers. The mission statement describes what a foundation plans to do today to make the world a better place for tomorrow.
21. Vision:Increase and nurture parentpartnerships and collaborations thatwill strengthen the educational,cultural, economic and environmentalassets of the school and thecommunities we serve.
22. Strategic AIMS Strategic aims are statements of the results requiredin order to ensure the survival, future viability andprogress of the organization They are statements of results and not activities. Strategic Aims have a number of qualities withoutwhich they become vague and unattainable. Therefore good objectives are SMART S specific M measurable A agreed R realistic T imebound
23. Where are PEST analysis we now SWOT analysisHow do we Where doknow when we want towe get there go What needs to be done
24. What Needs to be Done Branding Business (personality) model Team. People Differentiation make a Difference What needs to be done Customer Facilities LoyaltyWord of Mouth, Database, Alumni Product & Communication Governance Services participatory, consensus oriented, accountable, transparent, responsive, effective and efficient, equitable and inclusive and follows the rule of law.
25. Where are PEST analysis we now SWOT analysisHow do we Where doknow when we want towe get there go What needs to be done
26. How do we know when we get there?Tool Purpose BeneﬁtMeasures Provide a graduated Guide to progress for scale for measuring achievement size, quantity or qualityTargets A measured level of - Stretch performance which an - Assist change organisation can achieve using the - Transferrable resources it possessesMeasurement Gather data on - DelegationTools performance against - Evidence measures - Responsiveness
27. Targets Academic Achievement Students Caring Citizens Life-Long Learner Common GoalAdministrators Strong Communications EmpowermentParents/ PartnershipsCommunity Communication Student Expectation
28. Strategic Business Plan Bring All Together Where are PEST analysis we now SWOT analysisHow do we Where doknow when we want towe get there go What needs to be done
29. The Strategic Planning Process - A Global View Research - Ext & Internal Environments Formulate Vision/Mission Overarching Goals Strategy Formulation Strategy Implementation - Tactics Evaluation & Control
30. The Process of Organizational Change Changing world/TechnologyClarify the Establishing a sense of urgencyneed to change Understand markets and competitive realities Discussing crises and opportunitiesDeﬁne the Forming a powerful guiding coalitionvision of the Creating a clear vision about how the future might be differentfuture Communicating the visionImplement the Modeling the new behaviors Creating short-term winschange process Changing the team Institutionalizing the new behaviors