1. ICT – The Answer to Everything (well almost) Topic 6 – What ICT can provide
2. "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." — Thomas Watson , chairman of IBM, 1943.
4. What would Thomas Watson want to know about computers now?
5. Section One What Makes ICT So Useful? (or take a look at this Mr Watson!)
6. Fast, repetitive processing
7. Vast storage capacity
8. <ul><li>Searching and combining data in many different ways </li></ul>
9. Improved presentation
10. Increased accessibility
11. Improved security
12. Section Two Is Using ICT Always The Answer? (or Thomas fights back)
13. Hardware limitations
14. Software limitations
15. Communication limitations
17. Poor systems
18. Operational procedures
19. Poor control mechanisms
20. Human choice
21. Section Three The Best Way To Harness Computer Power? (or ‘sucks to you Mr Watson’)
22. "I have travelled the length and breadth of this country and talked with the best people, and I can assure you that data processing is a fad that won't last out the year." — The editor in charge of business books for Prentice Hall, 1957.
23. Batch processing
24. Transaction processing
25. Real-time processing
26. “ Good design is good business” — Thomas J Watson , chairman of IBM.