2. Jean-Jacques Rousseau <br />Profile:<br /><ul><li>A French philosopher-novelist-composer-music theorist-language theorist-etc.
3. Born June 28, 1712 in Geneva, Switzerland
4. Died 1778.
5. Wrote famous works like The Social Contract and Discourse on Inequality.
6. Believed people naturally good,butare corrupted by society.
7. If government did not support the majorities rights, they hadthe right to do way with that government</li></li></ul><li>‘Man is born free but everywhere is in chains’<br />- Rousseau from “The Social Contract”.<br />
8. According to Rousseau the ‘only reason human beings were willing to give up individual freedom and be ruled by others was that they saw that their rights, happiness, and property would be better protected under a formal government rather than an every-person-for-themselves type of society’. <br />
9. He proposed ‘rather than have a government, which largely protects the wealth and the rights of the powerful few, the government should be fundamentally based on the rights and equality of everyone’<br />
10. He argued that ‘we have rights and individual liberties because the rest of society agrees that you have those rights and liberties’.<br />
11. His political philosophy centers on developing political institutions that facilitate discovery of and adherence to the general will.<br />The general will is that policy or action which will be to the greatest benefit of the society as a whole.<br />