1. A presentation given to the WordPressInsider meetup on April 4, 2012 Connect With Me: Email: Michelle@CastilloMediaGroup.com LinkedIn Twitter Facebook ( Feel Free to Like us ) Website: WordPressInsider.orgThis presentation can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/wordpress90
2. Configure Permalinks Permalink the permanent URL to your Individual posts Always make sure to configure your permalink. This is a general WordPress functionality and can be accesses in the WordPress admin area under settings>>permalinks It is recommended to use either “Post Name” or /%category%/%postname%/ Including date may reduce click through rate, use date in news sites when the date is really important
3. Preferred Domain URLDecided what your preferred domain (Aka canonical domain) is. In other words you need to decide if you want the world to use www.MyWebsite.com or MyWebsite.comYou will need to use the same format both in the general settings section as well as in the Google Webmaster tool.
4. Preferred Domain URL Cont. In Google Webmaster tools you will need to add the site twice. Once with the www prefix and once without it. No account yet? Read my How to setup Google Webmaster Tools To verify ownership you may use WordPress SEO Dashboard After you verifying the ownership of both domain names, go to Google Webmaster Tools>>Site Configuration>>settings and select the prefer domain
5. Your site on the web If you type into the Google search box “site:YourDomain.com” you will be able to see:1. What pages of your site are indexed by Google - You will probably find that not all indexed page need to be indexed.2. The way the pages are represented at the search results. Is this the way you want the search results to look? Is the text displayed going to entice potential visitor to click and come visit your site?
6. Sitepages onthesearchresults TitleDescription
7. About TitlesUsed for search engine ranking – must include the key wordsShown on the browser tabIs the first line people see in the search results
8. Controlling titles Define global default rules in WordPress SEO >> Titles menu Overwrite the default at a post, page, category or tag level Guidelines for creating good titles: They should always contain the focus keyword ; preferably be at the beginning of the title. They should always contain your brand, preferably at the end, so people may recognize you in consecutive searches. The title should entice people to click.
9. About Indexation When you install WordPress SEO, your admin pages and search result pages are by default not indexed Disable date based archives indexation – Unless your site is a news site. At a page level , under WordPress SEO >> Advanced you can set a page to be “Nonindex” . Pages such as “Terms and Conditions” , shopping cart and are examples for pages you do not want indexed.
10. Descriptions An accurate description communicates to prospective visitors the make-up and content relevancy of the page, and compels (or not) that visitor to click through and visit your site page. If you fail to include a description of the page, search engines are likely going to fabricate a description of their choosing by returning a snippet of text from your page. You can control the description at the page, post , category and tag level using WordPress SEO interface
11. XML Site maps To enable the creation of XML site maps by WordPress SEO plugin, all you have to is check the box and save the settings The xml sitemap should be submitted to Google Webmaster Tools in the Configuration>>Sitemaps panel. WordPress SEO pings Google and Bing every time you have a new post
12. WordPress SEO –Permalinks menu The only option I use: Strip the category base (usually /category/) from the category URL. Beware - Other options may break some plugins
13. Resources Video - WordPress SEO with Yoast, Joost de Valk Yoast: WordPress SEO Article WordPressInsider – WordPress SEO
14. Connect With Me: Email: Michelle@CastilloMediaGroup.com LinkedIn Twitter Facebook ( Feel Free to Like us ) Website: WordPressInsider.orgThis presentation can be found here: http://tinyurl.com/wordpress90