1. New Tech in Libraries Winifred S. King, MSLIS Web Services Librarian D. Samuel Gottesman Library Albert Einstein College of Medicine @simplywinifred Winifred.firstname.lastname@example.org http://www.slideshare.net/WinifredKing/library-tech-13842314
2. Getting Started Mobile websites versus apps Patrons and resources on the move Social networking Text and SMS Working in the cloud
3. Mobile websites vs. Apps The realities of apps: developers needed – coding for appsis not the same as coding for websites not everyone has an iPhone no one app to rule them all The realities of mobile websites: developers needed but likely youalready have a website developer on staff open source (free) tools such asDrupal can help limited number of mobile browsersmakes the code upkeep easier
4. Library content on the move Databases available via apps and mobile websites PubMed on Tap vs. Medline in uCentral vs. PubMed on the web. Licensing issues – institution versus individual EBSCO databases
5. Social networking: Twitter for library promotionLearning to write for the web.Building an audience.Tweets are a two way street.Taking the time.
6. Social Networking: Twitter among librarians Personal twitter feeds? Professional crowdsourcing Surfing hashtags for ideas Associations: #cilip, #sla, #ala, #ifla, Subject librarians: #medlibs (medical librarians) Topic specific: #mhealth (mobile health) Application specific: #mendeley (Mendeley)
7. Chat and Text Reference How to choose a service provider? Where to go after Meebo for chat? Priorities? Compatibility? Cost?
8. Cloud ComputingFor patrons, advantage is access todata from any internet-connecteddevice. example: Mendeley(reference manager)Implications for librarians: Some free resources can bejust as valuable as paid subscriberresources. Include free resources inlibrarian toolkit as well as in classesfor patrons. Professional collaborationjust became easier!
9. Keeping Up to Speed Metro Webinars http://metro.org/ Local library associations – ACRL, SLA,NYTSL etc. http://acrlny.org/ http://newyork.sla.org/ http://nytsl.org/nytsl/ Tech section of the Times App index for for mobile app coverage Blogs Librarian in Black (http://librarianinblack.net/librarianinblack/) The Shifted Librarian (http://www.theshiftedlibrarian.com/) The Handheld Librarian (http://handheldlib.blogspot.com/) Embedded Librarian (http://embeddedlibrarian.blogspot.com/)