You may have read some of the articles I’ve written on workbloom or on the motivational web site that I run called Winning strategies. I’m still flying on an emotional high from receiving a Dallas Business Journal Women in Business Award as one of the top 25 women To watch in Dallas….Today I hope to give you some fuel to inspire your own flight.
Your future is a mystery. But one thing I know is that YOU are in control of it. You are in control of where you go to school, what you study, how well or how poorly you apply yourself to your studies, whether or not you take it seriously, and how hard you try at your first job. You are at the center of how your future will turn out. There is a shifting process going on. Your parents, who have been driving the bus for some time are now having to step back and let you take the driver’s seat. They cannot continue to make all the decisions in your life for you. You will live with the successes and failures, you will live with the decisions that you make. Your future is a mystery just as mine was, or your mothers, or your sponsors was when we were your age. We didn’t know what was around the corner. We had hope and promise for a bright future. This is a story that you are writing. This is your page turner.
(It works just like the goals you’ve set to attain your college education and your position at work) Now you will work to attain goals in the left behind areas of your life
Veer towards jobs and assignments that are centered around what you are good at.
Ashley H- - - - I can’t help but think about her….. WE hesitate to take STRETCH positions. We don’t even think that way. Take a job that we aren’t experienced at doing because we know we will grow into it? Why do we doubt ourselves so much? Why are we so AFRAID of Risk. No risk, no reward. No risk, no payback. One thing I have found is that going backwards is easy. You take something you either don’t like or don’t do well, YOU CAN always go backwards. You pass up on a promotion, and it may not come up again. We are going to empower ourselves. This sounds odd, I think- at first. But we are often our worst enemy. We underestimate our abilities and our male counterparts OVERestimate their abilities. We keep uiet with our ideas and they shout theirs. We need to empower ourselves. You have a great idea? Take it to leadership. Write it up and present it. Take a risk. You think the company could do something better? Speak up. You think you’d make the best choice for the new VP role, then let everyone know exactly why you think that.
YOU WILL DESIGN and create a life that is completely unique to you. Great things can happen in your life. I challenge you to Believe it, dream it , reach for it, and go achieve it.
Young women lead louisville presentation 2013
By Bethany Williams Young Women Lead- LouisvilleMarch 20, 2013
• Wife/Mother of 3• 27 Years in business• Author of four books & a popular motivational blog• Professional Speaker & Blogger• Vice President at a local technology firm- ZirMed• Named by the Dallas Business Journal as one of the top 25 Dallas Business Women in 2010
• Healthcare info technology company in downtown Louisville• Nationally recognized leader in delivering revenue cycle management solutions & pragmatic information exchange• Ranked top in KLAS• Multi year recipient of Inc. Magazine’s 500/5000 fastest growing companies
o Dream Bigo LifeStyle Designo Make it Happeno Find Your Strengths and Use Themo Hoopla over Little Thingso Annual Mid Termso What’s Holding you Back o Fear o Past Failureso Go Put Your Plan to Work
1995- 2005 2013• Traveling too much • Not Traveling so much• Flew 2,000,000 • Working for a miles around the company I love Globe in 14 Years • Speaking to groups• Constantly on airplanes like this one• Had an office in London (Professional Speaker) & one in Seattle • Enjoying my job/life• Not satisfied with life • Have written 4 books• Not using my strengths/gifts • Blogger/Guest writer
• Dream a LOT – Yes- you are seeing this right• We don’t dream enough – Your parents/teachers/coaches often discourage it• Your first goal: Find what you were born to do!• You will need to ‘Try On’ different occupations/jobs to find one that fits• You will know when you’ve found ‘It’ – You will find success – You will like it
• You can design the life you want to live• Why don’t you believe this?• Accept it• Move forward with an Action Plan• Design goals that build for you the Life that YOU want to live (not the one your mom/dad, Grandma, boyfriend or _____ wants you to live)
• Prioritize Life’s Areas – 1 God – 2 Family – 3 School/Job – 4 Relationships – 5 Fitness – 6 Hobbies• Regardless of priority, Each One Should have some attention in your life• Revisit these annually to see how you are doing and reset your focus
• What is your reality? – 1 Work/School/Career – 2 Family – 3 Relationships – 4 Fitness – 5 Interests – 6 God• It’s no wonder we grow into lives where we don’t feel satisfied with where we got to OR we don’t get where we want to be
• Start by Creating Your Plan• Write Down Your Goals• Create STRETCH Goals – BHAGs (Big Hairy Audacious Goals)• Start moving towards those goals – Walk towards the goals• Goals are ‘lofty’, they only get you ½ way there
• Put an action list together• Write down the steps to get you further down the paths that you’d like to go down• These ‘actions’ will get you closer to the life you want to live• Translate those actions into progressive steps
• Start plotting the action lists into calendar entries• Schedule personal time• Block out vacation time/workout time and time with friends that you’d like to take• Schedule hobby/special interest time• Book planning time for your ‘dreaming’ and scheduling….do it now
• Annual Mid Terms – Get away from it all Take a day in the country or a day ‘away’ – Rethink, Re-measure & Re-evaluate – Discuss/evaluate where you are in each area of your life – Discuss/evaluate the progress and needs for your life – Make a plan to move forward in the areas that you’ve neglected• Recommit to your goals and your life plan
• Fear – Failure – Fear of the unknown• No time• You’ve given up• You don’t believe it can be any better• Past failures have soured you
• #1 Thing that HOLDS us back• We are critical of ourselves by nature• Others see more in us than we see in ourselves• Sometimes we only see our weaknesses• Need= DEVELOP A BOLD BELIEF IN YOURSELF• Fake Confidence Until you Feel It From Within
• Learn to ‘SEE’ your capabilities and strengths• Develop a positive self image• Stop ‘seeing’ the bad• Listen to how others view you
• Each of you have unique gifts/talents• Rare combination• Everyone has strengths they were born with• You will stand out in your strength area• Find your strengths by identifying areas that you are drawn to• Your strengths will energize you• Using Strengths = Satisfaction
• Finding strengths – www.strengthsfinder.com• Great books on the subject – Now, Discover your Strengths – The Truth About You• You will STAND OUT• You should move towards a career/ vocation that uses your strengths• This will help you to develop self esteem/confidence
• Celebrate the little events in your life – Promotions – Good grades – Achievements at school/work – Special events for your family/friends/parents/grandparents• Celebration over the tiniest events – First mid term• Try desperately to LIVE IN THE MOMENT
• Failure knocks us down• We give up on our goals too easily• We let others tell us what we cannot do• We stop trying• We don’t persevere• Failures are our stepping stones to success
• No one gets anywhere without a roadmap• Biggest mistake I see? Targeting too low• This is easy to do- but we let our fears drive us – Behind every successful person is a long string of failures• Map out a plan that lays out YOUR TRUE DESIRES (BHAGS)• Visualize the path and move in that direction
Great things can happen in your life: Believe it Dream it Reach for it and Go Achieve it!Start with a plan and head down the path, one step at a time….
Brandon , Heather Caleb MichaelAge 18 Age 25 Age 14 spouse
• Secrets to business success for women• Tips and Advice to improve your salary and to advance at the office• Written when GE acquired the company I was working for• Published in April 2008
• Written as a mentoring guidebook to aid parents with the tumultuous teenage years• How do you find peace in a household of hormones?• Introduces rights and responsibilities grids• Released in 2010
• Create a Brand that Sells YOU to a Market with Stiff Competition• Simple steps to define your unique brand• Advice on marketing your brand• Package & Market Yourself better than you ever have• Written when the economy forced many out of work• Hit #1 on Amazon’s Hot new releases the first week of its release• Released in Oct 2011
• Get up, and get going!• Live the life you were born to live• Start dreaming and creating the action plan to get you closer to living the life you’ve always dreamed of• Just released Jan 3, 2013
• Cell 502-551-1871• Email: Bethany@bethanywilliams.org• Questions: Feel free to submit questionsConnect to me on LinkedIn, Twitter or Facebook Facebook: Winforwomen, Twitter: WinLifeStrategy & BethanyZirMed Email me what steps you’ve taken! Work Web Page: www.ZirMed.com – Personal Web Page: www.bethanywilliams.org – Blog: www.bethanywilliams.info
• 1998- Jamaica • 2003- Turks & Caicos Islands• 1999 • Paris, France • 2004 – Hawaii • Mykonos & Athens Greece & – Antigua, West Indies London• 2000 • Virgin Islands – Niagara Falls, Canada •2005 – Snoqualmie Falls, Washington •Belize, Central America• 2001 •Aruba – Lake Taho, Nevada & Las Vegas •2006• 2002 •Phuket & Bangkok, Thailand – Tour of Italy •Tokyo, Japan – Paris, France •Acapulco, Mexico – Scottsdale, Arizona •Denari, Alaska – Seattle, Washington •2007 – Ghana, Africa Mission Trip •Great Wall, China – Nasau Bahamas •Playa Del Carmen, Mexico •Kona, Hawaii
• 2008 • Rio De Janero, Brazil Couples Trip • Dominican Republic Family Trip• 2009 • St Kitts Couples Trip • Grand Canyon Family Trip• 2010 • Tahiti and Bora Bora Couples Trip • Costa Rica Family Trip• 2011 • Singapore & Malysia Couples Trip • Barbados Family Trip• 2012 • Machu Picchu & Galapagos Couples Trip • France & tour of Italy Family Trip
• Set Goals!• Make an action plan• Define the steps• Schedule activities into your calendar• Go make it happen