SFSU ISYS 363 Group Project Part 1 - Packers Fall 2013Presentation Transcript
SFSU ISYS 363-1 Fall
5 Group Collaborations:
1. Google Docs-Live Collaboration in Time
3. iLearn-Instant Connectivity & notification &
4. GroupMe Test-For Availability & Scheduling via
5. DropBox-Uploading & Sharing Files
- Skype has multiple packages one of them being a free video,
chat, and audio/phone service with other Skype users. Free
video with one other person. Free chat and audio/phone call for
2. Availability on platforms
- Skype is an application that can be used on most devices with a
screen and internet connection; computers, tablets, and phones.
3. Relationship building
- If not able to see each other in person, seeing another team
member via video allows for an interpersonal connection to
form. Putting a face/voice to a name/text creates a connection
to a person and not just another internet stranger.
- For this class, any Skype-use will be from the free package.
This means shoddy video connection and call quality.
2. Conference calls
- Video or audio calls with more than one person at a time is
3. Most features for computer only
- Calls cannot be made via phone (There is a Skype app
downloadable for iPhones – but is not very efficient)
1. Works on every platform
- On any phones (even you 1990s brick phone), tablets, laptops,
and computers as well. You don’t even need the app to use it,
you can chat with the group via SMS. If you don’t have
unlimited SMS, you can charge your setting to push
notifications and use your data instead.
2. Ease of use and quick contact
- If you're using the app, it is super user-friendly, and easy to sue
and navigate! Everything is simple and straightforward. You
can create group chats or send private messages to people.
Who doesn't’t have a cellphone nowadays – a quick and easy
to get in touch with a person/group.
3. Little perks that no other texting app/service have together
- Conference calls, photo sharing, location sharing, mute button (to
4. Free & limitless
- The app to download/use is completely free, every function. You
can add people to groups whenever you like, and also remove
people as well! You can be in as many groups as you like. (No
annoying advertisements! Hooray!)
1. Message delay
- Not everyone in a group chat will receive your message at the
same time. You’re also unable to send or receive messages when
your phone doesn’t have service connection, or when your phone
2. Message read or not
- There is no way of telling if a message that got sent has been read
by a person or not. Also no way of knowing whether the person
has muted the group/chat.
3. Needless alert (for people without unlimited text message)
- You’ll get alerts/text when someone joins or leaves a group
4. Ever-changing features
- GroupMe updates its contents often, you'll need to figure out
yourself: what has been added, taken away, or changed
(Not necessarily a con if it updates regularly right ;))
1. Ability to share documents with multiple users.
2. You can access the documents from any computer or mobile
3. It uses cloud storage technology, allowing the users to save
online and not use up their own storage space.
4. Saves periodically, to minimize data loss.
5. Real-time collaboration can be conducting at anytime with
any amount of users.
1. You can’t work offline unless you download ‘Gear;
available on Google Apps.
2. The threat of data loss or threat is heightened because
of the use of cloud storage.
3. Ownership of all documents uploaded and shared on
Google Docs stands subject to Google’s own use due
to the permission agreement they have with all the
users upon sign-up.
4. Some web browsers might not support Google Docs.
5. Storage is not unlimited.
Easy to access and download documents from any
computer, even smartphones.
Easy Back up Option for desktops.
Simple to set up and share among others.
Costs: first 2GB is free. Otherwise, $10 per month.
Minimal privacy: confidential documents should
not be stored here.
No sense of control on ownership: once one person
is connected, that person can share whatever they
want and connect that account to another person
without permission of original owner of account.
Accessibility: iLearn and other learning
management systems allows access from anywhere
with internet connection, and usually at anytime.
Supports many different types of data, e.g. video,
Easy and secure exchange of data: allows teachers
to upload and store resources for students to
Some teachers and students may have poor
computer and information literacy skills.
It is very easy to translate existing poor teaching
practices to an LMS.
It may be difficult for teachers to design and
organize a mix of learning activities to their
teaching skills/ style.