Consumer market drivers & inhibitorsDrivers Inhibitors• Increase in paid & free made for tablet content • Current lack of discrete, made for tablet content (eBooks & short digital video) or services• Push from major print media organisation • Increased adoption of smart phones negating the (newspapers & magazine) to drive readership to need for some consumers tablet apps. (eg. News Limited, Fairfax) • Low cost laptops & computers with long battery life, quick boot up and built in 3G• Greater familiarity with devices • End user concerns about battery life, weight,• Adoption of segments of the market that are not carrying a second device, etc. as comfortable with laptops/PCs (devices with keyboards) such as the elderly (over 65 year olds).• Parents buying devices as ‘child minding devices’ or ‘toys’• Increase in range of available devices (particularly Android)• Decrease in price points & reductions in mobile broadband fees• Use of tablets for gaming applications
Consumer use of mobile & applications• Tablets are an experiential device which is often shared by households – More users than devices• 50/50 split over consumer preference between web & apps
1. Mobile entertains us 75% 125 use smartphones in off-time at work. years of Angry Birds are played every day. 60% 200 million playbacks a day on use smartphones YouTube. on their commute to work.
1. Mobile entertains us 37% of Australia’s mobile data traffic Predicted to be is related to video. 69% by 2015.
2. Mobile is immediate 11% of all travel enquiries are made via mobile. 82% of people booked within 1 day of departure vs 45% on desktop. 58% were within 35km of their hotel.
3. Mobile connects us locally 66% of local searches are from a mobile. Half of these result in an action. Smartphones enable communication & connect us.
4. Search• In contrast to desktop, mobile search peaks at night, weekends & in the period leading into holidays.
5. Mobile makes shopping easier 72% 1 in 5 changed their of people use mind in a retail their mobile store as a result for comparison shopping. of their mobile. 25% have bought using their mobile phone.
5. Mobile is a part of our lives #1 usage location is in the home. 44% of us go to bed with our phones in arms reach. nearly HALF of users are ‘dual-screening.’ - Integrated messaging across multiple platforms is extremely important.
What can we do to keep up?• Create a mobile specific site – Having a mobile site puts WiTH & our clients ahead of 79% of the competition• Think about local consumers in local markets – How can we create relevant & memorable experiences?• Get personal – Mobile is an extra chance to engage with our audiences
What can we do to keep up?• Learn from our progress and change our process – Constantly reflect, review and amend our strategy – Every learning is an opportunity for improvement
What about our clients?Where are the opportunities?• Consume content• mCommerce• mHealth• Mobile wallet / online banking• Engagement via SM• Personalised advertising