Green Vehicles Workshop - Dual Fuel Systems Presentation
Dual Fuel Technologies
Craig A. Fischer
Director of Sales
Dual Fuel Systems
What Are You Trying to Do?
• How many vehicles
• What types of vehicles
• What is your fuel usage
• Where will you fuel
• What is your planning cycle
• What are your short and long term goals
Questions For Your Converter
• Are your kits EPA approved?
• Are your company/installers certified by the
• Are your installers ASE certified?
• How many kits have you installed?
• CNG kit referrals?
• What about follow up service and
CNG Kit Challenges
• CNG kits limited
– EPA certification process is cumbersome and
• Kit manufacturers are good at selling systems
• Tank/Bracket manufacturers have a mindset to
– However, we are starting to see kit manufacturers
bundle tanks with their kits
What are the Vehicle Trends
• We believe the driving force for the industry will be
medium duty (local/regional) and heavy duty (18
wheeler) over the road trucks
– New trucks with CNG engines are becoming more common
– After many years of development, retrofitted dual fuel
truck kits seem to be coming into their own
• Not everyone buys new trucks, they overhaul and rebuild
• Typically run up to 60% CNG over the road safely
– Do not have to rely on LNG
– Typically can run 600 to 700 miles on CNG, switch to diesel if you run low
– High fueling rates of 12-15 DGE needed for the future
stations are a challenge to engineers and CNG equipment
What is the current CNG Environment
• More and more of the opportunities we see
are driven by business decisions rather than
waiting for grant money.
• Grant money, in this environment, would add
fuel to the “CNG fire”
– Need longer term grant programs as many CNG
decisions are multi-year budgeting situations.