Perhaps the most astounding number is that recently we crossed 238 million members on LinkedIn from around the world. In fact, people are signing up to join LinkedIn at a rate of more than two new members per secondOllie Sharp Slideshare
Henry Clifford Jones
Cherie Dargan CWW2013
D Kennedy, Business of Law “The Chain”
Koka Sexton Marketing Director and Social Media Strategist at Internet at LinkedIn
LinkedIn - Just the Basics
LinkedIn – Just the Basics
Wendy R. Novak and Susan Franconi-Salmon
to the Rhode Island Paralegal Association
October 30, 2013
LinkedIn - The Basics
What is LinkedIn?
Setting Up a Basic Account
Creating Your Profile
Navigating the User Interface
Best Practices for Using LinkedIn
The Business of Social Media
• The history of social media dates back more
than 30 years, when two computer hobbyists
created a computerized “bulletin board”
system (BBS) to share information with
• This pre-dates the Internet as we know it
today by about 15 years!
What is Social Media?
• Social Media is the future of communication, a
countless array of internet based tools and
platforms that increase and enhance the
sharing of information.
• Forms of electronic communication (as Web
sites for social networking and microblogging)
through which users create online
communities to share information, ideas,
personal messages, and other content.
Examples of Social Media
(Silveira, 2013, p.3)
How Linkedin Fits into Social Media
Q: What is LinkedIn?
A: LinkedIn is the world’s largest
professional network. It can be used to
connect with those you already know or
to broaden your professional outreach
and meet others in your profession.
Read more: http://learn.linkedin.com/what-is-linkedin/
2013 LinkedIn Stats - Growing
• LinkedIn Has Over 200 Million Members
• Average user has 240 “Connections”
• One degree from over 35,000 “Trusted Connections”
• Two degrees from over 3,200,000 “Trusted Connections”
160 Million unique visitors a month
• 1 million new members added per week
• 17.8 million members belong to groups
• 1.2 million comments and posts to groups weekly
• 2 billion people searches annually
• 1 million companies have a company page
LinkedIn’s global footprint is expanding:
Registered members as
of Sept 2013
Of LinkedIn members are
outside of the US
Countries and territories
(Sharp, 2013, p.9)
Social Networks – Where do you stand?
(DeLisle, 2013, p. 6)
1 of every 3
on the planet is LinkedIn
(Clifford Jones, 2013, p.22) 12
for Not Using LinkedIn
• The site seems complicated.
• It takes so much time to do the profile.
• I can't keep up with all of the email from the site.
• I'm busy.
• I'm already employed.
• I don't need this extra work.
• It's like doing homework.
• I don't have a lot of experience.
LinkedIn - Top 10 Features
Via: PowerFormula for LinkedIn Success
Three Core Features of LinkedIn
What you Need to Set Up
Your LinkedIn Profile:
• Email Address
• Zip code
• Job Title and Company (if employed)
• Education, personal info, skills
• Employment, past and present
• Photo of yourself
4 Key Elements to a Good Profile
• Excellent, descriptive headline
• The number of contacts you have and
• Content within your profile
• Keywords within your profile
• Use your summary to tell your
story in a friendly
• Focus on what you are doing
now, how you can help the
reader and what you plan to
be doing in the future
• If you only have a few
minutes to share your
professional story with a
potential client, business
partner or referrer, what
would you say?
You can invite people to connect from the
following areas (click the Connect button):
• A Member's Profile
• Search results
• The Add Connections page
• People You May Know.
You have 6 options responding to an invitation:
- 1st degree connection
- Send message w/out adding to
- Request goes into trash
- Consider accepting at a later time
- Invitation will be archived
- To 1st level connections for info
Key to Social Media / Networking is Freely
Sharing your Knowledge & Expertise
• Builds trust, once they trust you, want to do
business with you
• Box.net files – upload Word, PDF, Excel,
articles, firm brochures
• Google Presentation / Slideshare
• Video increasingly important as part of many
companies branding efforts
Keys To LinkedIn Success
Determine Your Goals
Build a Complete Profile
Endorse and Recommend
Engage with Your Network
Find and Share Valuable Information
Keep up with Changes
• The LinkedIn mobile app makes LinkedIn
more useable and provides a good way to
use LinkedIn more frequently.
• (for ios, Android & BlackBerry platforms)
• (and FREE!)
LinkedIn Learning Webinars
Last Reviewed Oct 08 2013
The Value of LinkedIn – LinkedIn Overview Video
Last Reviewed Sept 26 2013
How to Use LinkedIn – about.com
Breitbarth, W. (2012, March 4). Portrait of a linkedin user. [Infographic]. Retrieved from
Clifford-Jones, Henry. (2013). LinkedIn: Building relationships with the world’s professionals. Firefly Communications. [PowerPoint
slides]. Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/FireflyComms/linkedin-building-relationships-with-the-worldsprofessionals
Dargan, Cherie. (2013). Linked with linkedIn. Hawkeye Community College. [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from
DeLisle, Dean. (2013). LinkedIn: Three easy steps to start your linkedIn referral machine. Forward Progress. [PowerPoint slides].
Retrieved from http://www.slideshare.net/forwardprogress/linked-in-three-easy-steps-to-start-your-linkedin-referralmachine-forward-progress-dean-delisle?
Fairley, S. (2013, February 18). Social media marketing for attorneys: A history of social media. [Blog post]. Retrieved from
Fairley, S. (2013, July 20). 8 Steps to get you connected on linkedIn. [Blog]. Retrieved from
Kennedy, Dennis (2012, April). The chain: LinkedIn is more than social media for lawyers. ABA Journal, n. pag. Retrieved from
Livingston, Becky. (2013). Using linkedIn for your job search. Penheel Marketing. [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from
Schneider, Hilary. (2011). LinkedIn the basics. Brown Wright Stein Lawyers. [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from
Sexton, Koka. (2013). The value of your linkedIn network. LinkedIn. [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from
Sharp, Ollie. (2013). LinkedIn and the changing face of recruitment. TheJobPost. [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from
Siltala, M. (2013, February 22). Social meowdia explained [Infographic]. Avalaunch Media. Retrieved from
Silveira, Diana. (2013). Managing social media. Novare Library Services. [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from
Social media. (n.d.). In Mirriam Webster Dictionary online. Retrieved fromhttp://www.merriamwebster.com/dictionary/social%20media
Solomon, Holly. (2013). LinkedIn training. Expand Socially, LLC. [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from
Wenger, Leora. (2012). Achieving linkedIn success. Leora Wenger Web Design LLC. [PowerPoint slides]. Retrieved from
What is social media? (2013). Retrieved October 29, 2013 from http://www.socialmediadefined.com/what-is-social-media/
LinkedIn – Just the Basics
Prepared by Wendy R. Novak
October 30, 2013
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.