Systems & processes making
order out of chaos.
Digitisation Open Day, May 2014
Digital Curator, Wellcome Library
2. Opportunity to buy lots of cameras…?
3. Ohio State, Large Binocular Telescope
4. Lets be clear. Sticking
something under a
camera or onto a
scanner ain’t the issue
5. Digitisation supports the business
• Digitisation supports your users needs.
• Digitisations supports your strategic goals & aims.
• Digitisation aligns with your existing services.
Remember, digitisation shouldn’t be at odds with your collection policy & it
shouldn’t be in conflict with other services that are on offer. Access to
digitised material doesn’t necessarily replace walk-in or other forms of access.
6. Digitisation – process overview
Refine & review processes document & share
Funding, staff, equipment, IT,
storage, data management
Strategy, plans, user services, etc
8. There are simpler models…
9. Digitisation uses three IT systems…
1. Workflow management system – ‘Goobi’ =
2. Digital object repository – ‘Preservica’ =
3. Front end - ‘the player’ = ACCESS.
Remember, this doesn’t include cataloguing or bibliographic systems. Here
we’re just talking about the process of creating, storing & delivering digital
content. You have to assume that those other systems are also in place.
• Manages & tracks the production of content.
• Workflow driven. Highly automated. Project
• Allows us to set very granular access conditions.
• Scalable & highly adaptable to different projects.
Goobi is our workflow tracking & management system for the production of
digital content. Automating as many of Goobi’s processes as possible allows
our work to be both efficient & scalable. Goobi is also the system with which
humans interact the most.
11. How Goobi works – a workflow
12. How Goobi works – METS editing
Pagination as per original
• Workflow based easily ‘talks’ to other systems.
• Content agnostic.
• Creates administrative metadata on ingest.
• Preservation orientated.
14. How Preservica works
15. How Preservica works – out the back
• No direct public access to SDB.
• Little direct staff access to SDB content.
• High levels of automation of ingest, Goobi.
• Platform for dissemination mediated by the player.
A centralised repository of & for digital content is a key part of both
preservation of & access to your content. It’s a single place where we both
store & manage our content.
16. The player
17. How the player works
• Makes HTTP request to SDB for content based on
Preservica PUID (Objects unique & permanent
• Draws & implements access conditions from
• Permitted user actions drawn from METS.
• Draws DMD from live catalogue + from METS.
The player acts as a single point of access to our content, we have a unified
delivery mechanism through which all content is delivered. Aim is to provide
as seamless & as easy as possible access to all digital content. Easy for the
user to understand & an interface with which they can quickly become familiar.
18. So, to wrap up…
• Digitisation supports strategic goals & aims.
• Systems & processes help us manage the end-to
end production & delivery of digitised content.
• Need to think about the whole activity not just one
• Above all else digitisation is an exercise in project
19. Thank you
Questions now, questions later…?
Dave Thompson, Digital Curator
email@example.com - @d_n_t