"How to create an educational game on tablet for kids" by Emmanuel Rouiller (Mosquito) and Arnaud Waels (Dévocité) for the Palace of Fontainebleau (FR)
• The domain
• A 600 years long history
• A complex architecture
• Very rich collections
• The parc and its gardens
451 975 visitors
61,9 % foreigners
38,1 % French
10 % less than 18 years old
10 % scholars
• VISITORS' TOOLS : CURRENT OFFER
• IN-SITU EXPLANATIONS
• VISIT PAPER SHEETS
• PAPER SHEETS GAME FOR KIDS
• VISIOGUIDE (JULY 2013)
VISITORS' TOOLS : CURRENT OFFER
• No real suitable offer for Kids and teenagers.
Audioguide doesn't really suit their expectations
• The need for a specific offer
• The idea of challenging kids with a "treasure hunt"
• Introduce some fiction in a history museum ?
• What pedagogic messages : what to focus on ?, what
highlights can't be missed?
• How long is the tour?
• How to please and keep kids focused?
• Where to start the project?
• How to distribute the app locally?
• What graphical universe ? Illustration, 3D?
• How to challenge kids?
• How to avoid kids beeing lost since the castle is so
• What knowledge of kings' history do kids already have
• How to avoid the feeling of failure, or being a looser ?
WHAT COMES TO MIND ?
• An autonomous and suitable itinerary mode
• Transmit knowledge and understanding of the place
• Create pleasure of the visit and curiosity
• Get familiar with this Heritage
• Attract new visitors not necesseraly interested in
• Promote the visit experience on social networks
PROJECT'S GOALS ASKED BY THE MUSEUM AT
THE EARLY STAGE
• Find an original narrative base line
• Target young crowd between 8 and 12 years old
• Create interaction on the spot with the
THE CHOICE OF A SERIOUS GAME
«The Kings' real estate,
the House of the Centuries»
Napoleon, about the Castle of Fontainebleau.
FIND A TRANSVERSE THEME
Kings’power symbols and iconography
Connexions between building's history and
Locate in space and time
Discover and identify kings’highlights room by
FIND A TRANSVERSE THEME
Identify work ahead:
1. General design: graphics, interactivity, ui
2. Gather and sort important scientific /
3. Define a scenario and write it
4. Game design
Define project and goals (2012). Project submission
to the grant of the French Ministry of Culture called
'Innovative cultural services'
Conception (February to April 2013)
Wrting of the scenario (May to September 2013)
Production and programming (July – October)
Artistic and technological choices
Evaluation (22nd to 25th of September, 2013)
Technical installation (WIFI) into the reception
of the castle Project's stages
Public availability (December 2013)
Local logistic and security agents training
Quantitative Evaluation (2014 ?)
• Decrease fiction
• Technical: ergonomy of the target platform in kids
hands (no hands left), manipulation details (quit
button etc), wifi
• Multiuser mode canceled because of audio
• Too much scientific content « Less is more »
• Deal with family split : serious game and traditionnal
have different rythms
• Beeing viral
WHAT DID NOT WORK IN OUR CASE
• Allow adaptability to content : skipping scientifc
content, difficult games
• People can't easily locate on a map
• Use the space as a starting point : adapt content
and rythm to the space
• Anticipate with local agents, associate everyone to
the project from
• Modify the traditionnal visit path : open closed gates
• Working with different companies for audio-guides
and serious games
TAKE CARE OF