Your SlideShare is downloading. ×
Genetics part 2
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in...5
×

Thanks for flagging this SlideShare!

Oops! An error has occurred.

×

Saving this for later?

Get the SlideShare app to save on your phone or tablet. Read anywhere, anytime - even offline.

Text the download link to your phone

Standard text messaging rates apply

Genetics part 2

167
views

Published on


0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
167
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
1
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
1
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

Report content
Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
No notes for slide

Transcript

  • 1. InheritanceMendel – Found that alleles show up inpredictable patterns and that some allelesshow up more often than others • Homozygous (Pure-Breeds) - both alleles are the same (PP or pp) • Heterozygous (Hybrids) - both alleles are different (Pp) • Carriers – heterozygotes for a recessive trait
  • 2. HomozygousPure-Breed Crosses result in:100% chance dominant phenotype
  • 3. HeterozygousHybrid Crosses result in:75% chance dominant phenotype25% chance recessive phenotype
  • 4. CompareWhat makes the difference between a 100%chance of the dominant phenotype and only17% chance of the dominant phenotype ? Pure-Breed Crosses result in: Hybrid Crosses result in: 100% chance dominant phenotype 75% chance dominant phenotype 25% chance recessive phenotype
  • 5. GenerationsParents: P1generation First Generation: First Filial (F1) Second Generation: Second Filial (F2) Third Generation: Third Filial (F3)
  • 6. Chance of Inheritance100% chance 75% chance 75% chance 0% chance
  • 7. Alleles can be tracked through multiple generations and probabilities determined Parents: P1 generation First Generation: First Filial (F1) 100% chance dominant phenotype Second Generation: Second Filial (F2) 75% chance dominant phenotype Third Generation: Third Filial (F3) 63% chance dominant phenotype
  • 8. Inheritance Alleles can be tracked through multiple generations and probabilities determined Parents: P1 generation First Generation: First Filial (F1) 100% chance dominant phenotype Second Generation: Second Filial (F2) 75% chance dominant phenotype Third Generation: Third Filial (F3) 63% chance dominant phenotype100% chance 75% chance 75% chance 0% chance
  • 9. Practice• Video on making punnett squares• In your notebook complete the Probability (Long vs Short Big Toe) Lab.
  • 10. Summary of Mendel’s PrinciplesGregor Mendel’s work forms the basis of modern genetics: • Genes are passed from parent to offspring • Some forms of genes (alleles) are dominant while others are recessive • Genes randomly segregate (independent assortment) when gametes are formed • The alleles for different genes usually segregate independently of one another Linked genes (genes that occur very close to one another on a chromosome) are the exception Write these 4 ideas from Mendel in your notebook
  • 11. DNA  Chromosomes• From Chromosome to DNA• How DNA is packaged animation• Meiosis is how DNA is copied and sepereted to make gametes (sperm and egg)• Complete cornell notes for the Meiosis video and glue onto page ___ of your notebook – What is the purpose of Meiosis and Mitosis?
  • 12. • Complete the lab “Why don’t we look like our siblings” and glue in your notebook
  • 13. Solving Punnett SquaresIf a round pea plant (AA) is crossedwith a wrinkled pea plant (aa), whatpercent of the offspring will be: • Round? Solve • Wrinkled?If two heterozygous round pea these inplants are crossed, what percent ofthe offspring will be: • Round? your • Wrinkled? notebook.If a heterozygous round pea plant is crossedwith a homozygous wrinkled pea plant, whatpercent of the offspring will be: • Round? • Wrinkled?