• Limited domestic resources
• Deprecated technologies
• Environmental pollution
• Moral aspects
- 60.7% of energy is produced using imported
- Up to 93 percent of energy production in Ukraine
is based on non-renewable resources.
- During past decade GDP energy content
increased by 30%.
- 14.3% of produced energy is lost during
- 4.6 millions of hectares are
polluted with radionuclides.
- 6.85 million tons emissions in
the atmosphere in 2005.
- Lack of environmental friendly
- Landfill remains main method
of waste utilization.
- Government pays too little
attention to environmental
- People are used to
- Problem of pollution is
far from being prior
for most people.
- Working conditions in
leaves much to be
Renewable energy sources
• The potential for wind power in
Ukraine is 70 million MWh per
• Hydro potential has been estimated
to be 17 TWh/a for large and 3.7
TWh/a for small hydro power
• Nationwide, there appear to be
about 40 solar thermal installations
with a total installed solar collector
surface of perhaps 10,000 m2 and
an installed capacity of about 5-8
Problems with renewable energy sources in
• Huge capital investments are needed to switch from non-
renewable energy sources.
• Ukrainian government does virtually nothing to develop
energy system based on renewables. Instead they
promote the development of nuclear energy sources.
• The development of renewable resources in Eastern
Europe and the former Soviet Union remains limited
primarily to expansion or refurbishment of existing
• Problems of corruption and excessive bureaucracy.
Everything will be alright !
At least we hope so…