An average solid waste production in Ukraine per capita (tons).
1980 1990 1995 2 00 3
Only about 3% of solid waste are recycled.
97% are in landfill.
Monopoly of Russia as a supplier of energy
resources is a threat to national safety of
• Gas is 43% of energy resources consumed in Ukraine
• In 2005 Ukraine consumed 76,64 billion of cubic
meters of natural gas (France: 48; Spain: 30; Poland:
• 20 billion cubic meters of gas is produced in Ukraine
• Consumption of gas per dollar of GNP is over 3 times
of that in Europe
• Over 70% of Gas comes from Russia and even gas
from other sources comes trough Russia too, which
allows Russia to influence Ukraine and threaten
Insufficient production of gas
• Since 2000 the production of gas has increased
from 18.5 billions of cubic meters to 20.9
• There are not enough explored resources (600
billions of cubic meters of gas and 100 millions
tons of oil) to continue this growth though.
Therefore, exploring new deposits of fossil fuels
is a strategic goal for Ukraine.
• Unexplored resources of Ukraine are estimated
at 3650 billions of cubic meters of gas and 910
millions of tons of oil.
Inefficient electricity transfer &
• Old equipment at Ukrainian heat power
stations and decrease of government investing
• Fuel prices increase faster then tariffs for heat
• Many users do not pay for heat and power
they have already consumed
• Research and development is not financed at
• Over 14% of electricity is lost during transport.
This figure reaches 40% in some areas.
Dynamics of the fossil fuels’ industry
till the 2030
CO2 CH4 NOx
Ø Industry used to work on cheap fossil fuel.
Ø Such situation acceptable for businesses because they
don’t have to invest capital in new manufacturing
Ø The government does not stimulate businesses to
improve their processes.
Ø Businesses influence politicians and everything remains