Concept of sustainable
development in built environment
• Highlighting problems
• On the way to sustainability
- solutions and scenarios
• The phrase built environment refers to the
manmade surroundings that provide the setting
for human activity, ranging from the large-scale
civic surroundings to the personal places.
• The layers of civil infrastructures are typically
designed for minimum first cost, and constructed
and maintained at least cost, with little regard for
the negative impact on other layers of service.
• Due to existing trend of young people
migration from country side to cities, we
observe increase in building intensity in
• Obsolete technologies and extensive way
of building sector development results into
ineffective energy consumption.
• Huge lack of
mechanisms on the
land and real estate
• Corruption and
• Almost all
construction waste is
utilized by landfill or
• According to road development program to 2011
almost all money will be used for keeping road in
current state and as a payment for loans.
• Urbanization rate (growth of cities
• Percentage of houses and buildings,
which are in emergency condition.
• Quantity of energy losses during
• Percentage of ecologically clean building
• Equally developed regions considering
their geographical and resource potential.
• By 2030 the usage of renewable energy
sources will be near 15 %.
• Substantial growth in usage of energy
saving technologies and contemporary
• Building industry using mainly ecologically
safe and effective materials.
• Government provides support for
introduction of new sustainable
• Effective legislative mechanisms for real
estate and land markets.
Solutions and scenarios
• Government program for developing country
side (subsidies, loans etc) plus investment.
• Introduction of strict ecological control on
building process and construction wastes
• Encouragement of usage clean materials for
• Mixed-use of community planning for support of
continuous pedestrian linkages among the
residential, institutional, commercial, and
recreational places that support our daily lives.
• Starting from the 2005 new law about
Ecosystem of Ukraine had come into effect.
• Government program of improving national
ecological network 2006-2015 is already
• In September 2006 Open meeting of business,
NGO and government concerning ecology and
sustainable development was held.
• Company “Konty-stroy-Ukraine” is going to build
a plant for utilization of construction wastes on
• Many investment projects for building
ecologically safe and efficient houses are
developed. They don’t have proper financing
• New wasteless technology was introduced on
Zaporozhsky ferroalloy factory.