1. WORLD YOUNG READER ROUND TABLE Title: The power of youth Speaker: Jawa Pos Mark your calendar64th WORLD NEWsPAPER CONGREss19th WORLD EDITORs FORUM Vienna, Reed Messe Wien www.wan-ifra.org/kiev2012
3. Jawa Pos is a Surabaya-based newspaper, withcirculation over 400,000daily. According to NielsenMedia Research, Jawa Posis the number onenewspaper in Indonesia interms of readership.
4. Jawa Pos Group is Indonesia’s biggest newspapernetwork, currently consists of 199 newspapers, tabloids,magazines, and local television stations. The network istruly nation-wide, from Aceh in the far west to Papua in thefar east.
5. How? The Jawa Pos Group Happened Early in the 1990’s, Former CEO of Jawa Pos realized that there is no such thing as a national newspaper in Indonesia. The country is too big, separated by too many islands, and consists of too many different cultures. To grow,Katim Post Manado Post CendrawasihBiggest Biggest Newspaper Pos Jawa Pos mustNewspaper inEast Kalimantan in North Sulawesi Biggest Newspaper publish regional in West Papua newspapers in every province.
6. Later, eachregionalnewspaper grewsigniﬁcantly. Eachthen had its own“children” withinit’s region, andso the number ofnewspapers grewexponentially.Today, there arearound 170newspapers in theJawa Pos Group.Each linked toeach other and tothe mainnewspaper in Riau Pos Sumatera FAJAR Biggest Ekspres BiggestSurabaya. By far Newspaper in Biggest Newspaper Newspaper inthe biggest in Pekanbaru in South Sumatera South SulawesiIndonesia.
7. Jawa Pos Regional Edition Jawa Pos, the main newspaper, also realized that it needed to evolveto reach and satisfy more readers within it’s own region. So in late 1990’s Jawa Pos decided to publish seven regional editions. They are basically the same newspaper everywhere, but with different “regional sections” within the newspaper.Today, there are 12 different Jawa Pos regional editions in the province of East Java, Central Java, Jogjakarta, and Bali.
8. Initiating theLocal TV Eraand OtherBusinessesIn the past ten years,Jawa Pos started toinvest in the televisionbusiness. But insteadof building a nationalterrestrial station, JawaPos decided to start alot of local televisionstations. Again, thegoal is to reach andsatisfy local/regionalneeds. Today, therearea about 20 local TVstations under the JawaPos Group.
9. Jawa Pos also invested in a paper millin nearby Surabaya. Today, the papermill produces around 400 tonnes ofnewsprint daily. Around 70 percentfor Jawa Pos Group, 20 percent forexport, and 10 percent forcompeting newspaper groups. Tocomplement the paper mill, Jawa Posalso built a power plant nearby.
10. NEW people always bring new ideas. Jawa Pos is not afraid to “refresh” its personnel. Most chief editors of Jawa Pos are under 40 years old.With its youth policy, Jawa Pos is more open to new ideas. Always “running” while other newspaper might be “slowing down.”
11. Daily Youth Page JAWA POS is the ﬁrstnewspaper in Indonesia,perhaps in the world, to havespecial pages dedicated for theyouthEVERYDAY. Since 26 February2000, Jawa Pos publishedDetEksi section. Everyday.Three pages a day. Consistentlyfor the past nine years (and stillgoing…) This is a young sectionrun by young people. Theaverage age of DetEksi Crew is20 years old. From reporters,photographers, designers, upto the editors are young. Mostarepart-time college student.
12. NOUVELLENew section for ”New Family” EVERYDAY, for one full year (2006),Jawa Pos dedicated three full pages for“new family.” Meaning new lyweds orfamilies with children under ten yearsOld. Instead of “preaching” how to live,the page is full of gamesmanship. It isthe newspaper version of Shop Till YouDrop or Supermarket Sweep.Everyday, one “new family” wins a prizeto go shopping in a supermarket. Howthey spend the money and what they Life!buy becomes the story. Readers can Begins at 50…learn from their stories, and compare LIFE is Jawa Pos’ newest specialwith their own. section.Started in 2007 as “Evergreen,” It is dedicated for readers 50 and older, which is currently the fastest growing part of the overall population. Instead of “preaching” how to live, the mission of the page is “to celebrate life after ﬁfty.” Everyday, a person over 50 is proﬁled in the page, sharing life experiences and health secrets.
13. JAWA POS slogan is“Selalu Ada yang Baru”(We always have somethingnew).Jawa Pos is a newspaperdriven by ideas. Tryingnew ways of presentingpages,new ways of using anewspaper.Every year, Jawa Pos has anewbig section for specialsegments of the population,but have appealfor all readers.
14. A NEWSPAPER page dedicated towomen is not new. In fact, almostevery newspaper has tried to caterwomen. However, not many weresuccess ful. Jawa Pos For Her waspublished beginning at the end of2010. With the special section,Jawa Pos tries something that hasneverbeen done before with newspaperin Indonesia: To treat women notjust as a segment of thepopulation.Every day, four pages werepublished dedicated to women ofall ages.Everyday, more news and topicsare dedicated to women and tosupport women, in all pages ofJawa Pos.Not only with special pages, JawaPos also creates numerous offprintprograms to support womencauses. From simple seminars,
16. ONE of the most important factor in Jawa Pos success is its “Part of the Show” philosophy. Jawa Pos have always been involved in the community,, driving the community towards better things. Thisphilosophy creates a strong bond between Jawa Pos and its readers. A bond that is very hard to break. Youth events (DetEksi Convention, basketball) Social and environment programs (Surabaya Green & Clean, Jawa Pos Pro-Otonomi Institute, Road Safety Programs, Public Safety Campaigns, etc).
17. Growing ReadershipSharePos can maintain or The Enciety Business ConsultPos’ readershipthatBecause of DetEksi, after severalyears, Jawa after around ten years, Jawa survey shows sharegrow its readership and circulation in Surabaya and surrounding area is growing fromwhile other newspaper are dominant to very dominant. From 76 per cent instruggling. 2000 to 93,5 per cent in 2009.Getting Strongerin Surabaya(Readershare in Surabaya) Source: Enciety Business Consult – Media Habits 2009 Source: ENCIETY Business Consult, Published 2010 Source: Nielsen Media Index W4 2010
18. In 2010, 51% of Jawa PosReadersEnciety and Nielsen Media Research also of 30arethat Jawa Pos’ readers areAge Under theshowsessentially younger than other leadingnewspapers in the country. Muchstronger in the age group of 10-29,which are DetEksi readers or was Media Preference in Indonesia:DetEksi readers. Surabaya, Jawa Pos’ Hometown, Have Younger Newspaper Readers than Other Readers By Age Major Cities All People age 10-29, Jawa Pos vs Kompas in 9 Big Cities, in % Source: ENCIETY Business Consult, Published 2010 Source: Nielsen Media Index W4 2010
19. The First Number One from OutsideJakarta number one newspaper in From 2008-2011, Jawa Pos consistentlyNielsen Media Research shows, that Jawa Pos Jawa Pos ﬁrst surpassed Kompas in 2006.have become theIndonesia in terms of readership. The ﬁrst positioned itself above Kompas in terms ofnumber one newspaper that is not based in readership. In fact, Jawa Pos is the onlythe capital city of Jakarta. newspaper in Indonesia with readership easily over 1 million people. Top Newspaper Jawa Pos is 2010 Dominating Greater All People age 10+, in 9 Big Surabaya Cities, in million All People age 10+, in million, In Greater Surabaya (8.665.000)Source: Nielsen Media Index W4 2010 Source: Nielsen Media Index W4 2010
20. Winning Numerous Awards Jawa Pos won numerous awards in the past few years, relating to readership and its relationship with young readers. 2005 20092010 2010 2011 2011
21. What’s next?• For the future, Jawa Pos will continue to grow its network. Both newspaper and televisionstations.• For online business, Jawa Pos will enter when the time is right. In 1994, before other mediacompanies are thinking about the internet, Jawa Pos have already invested in internet/provider business.• When the time comes, Jawa Pos will be the strongest force in the online media business. Providing unrivalled contents and access from every single region in Indonesia.