As of 1st
King George 6th
Nehru (PM-India) Liyakat(PM-Pak)
Maj.Gen Kalwant Singh(Srinagar)
Status of Control
(As of April 1st
• The State of Jammu & Kashmir Total Area 2,22,236 sq. km.
• 1. Area occupied by Pakistan 78,114 sq.km.
• (Pakistan had occupied 83,294 sq. km. in 1947 & 1948,
• which includes 72,971 sq.km. handed over by Major Brown of Gilgit Scouts;
• out of which Pakistan has given 5,180 sq. km. to China in 1960)
• 2. Area occupied by China 42,735 sq.km.
• 37,555 sq. km. of the State of J & K was forcibly occupied
• - by China in 1959. (Ladakh region)
• 5,180 sq. km. given by Pakistan to China.
• 3. Total area of the State of J & K occupied
• - by Pakistan & China in 1963 1,20,859 sq.km.
• 4. Remaining area of the State of J & K 1,02,307 sq.km.
• Instrument of Accession
• October 26th
• United Nations
• August 13th
• J&K Assembly
• February 6th
• February 22nd
• J & K Total districts 22
• Districts in Kashmir Valley 10
• Disturbed Districts(14% Area) 05
Religious, Ethnic and
Geographical based Population
• Jammu = 1800 Thousands Muslims (Gujjar, Rajput and Pahadis)
3800 Thousands million Hindu (Sikh, Dogra, etc.) out
• of which 500 Thousands Indian citizens, who are not -
• considered residents of Jammu – Kashmir state.
• valley = 4700 Thousands (Shia, Kashmiri, Pahadis & Gujjars)
70 Thousands Sikhs, Kashmiri Pandits, Dogra & etc.
300 Thousands Kashmiri Pandit families
• displaced in Jammu and other region of India.
• Ladakh = 160 Thousands (Buddhist).
10 Thousands (Dogra, Sikh, kashmiri Pandits, etc.)
• - Leh District.
130 Thousands (Shia Muslims) Kargil District.
Regions Jammu Valley Ladakh
26293 15853 59241
10 10 02
Population 56,00,000 50,00,000 3,00,000
Lok Sabha 02 03 01
Assembly 37 46 04
POSITION OF INDIA
• WORLD COMMUNITY
History of Kashmir
• The history of Kashmir is traceable as far back as 4000
years B.C. Twenty-one dynasties of Hindus, Buddhists,
Jains, have ruled from time to time.
• 3rd century BC Ashoka (296-232 BC) the grandson of
Chandra Gupta, the Mauryan King made Srinagar the
capital of his huge empire. The Ujjan empire took control
in 530 AD. The Hindu king Lalitya Dityas' rule ( 724-761)
marked an era of literature and learning. Kashmir as his
base he led his armies deep into South India, Turkistan
and Tibet. He built temples at Martand , Avantipor and
Pandrethan which still remain. He set an example for
Kashmir as an independent country.
History of Kashmir
• 1752 to 1819: Tyrannical Afghan Rule: It was
the Afghans who saw an opportunity and
invaded Kashmir. Ahmad Shah Abdali ruled in a
ruthless manner, he ordered public executions
and people drowned in the Jehlem river.
Afghans built Amira Kadal, Hari Parbat forte.
One ruler 18 year old Azad Khan plundered ,
killed and raped like a lunatic. He slit the
stomach of his doctor for not curing his eye
ailment. Abdali died in Kabul in 1818 , the sons
fought and lost Kashmir to Sikhs.
JAMMU AND KASHMIR – HISTORICAL FACTS
A few years back, an opinion poll conducted under the patronage of Lord
Avebury, a known British protagonist of Pakistan, found that only 6%
Kashmiris wanted to join Pakistan, 61% wanted to remain in India and 33%
were undecided! More recently, in May 2010, King's College of London
University, at the instance of the son of Col. Gaddafi of Libya, carried out
another similar survey in Kashmir. This survey found that only 2% of the
people of Kashmir wanted to join Pakistan.
In 1986 - In one of the most shameful acts of religious massacre, several
ancient historical Hindu temples are destroyed and scores of Hindus were
killed in the city of Anantnag. Chief Minister G. M. Shah looses power to his
brother-in-law Farooq Abdullah.
During 1990 – 2007: In a spate of terrorist violence, 35000 minority kashmiri
Hindus have been killed by Islamic fundamentalists and 700,000 Kashmiri
Hindus have been driven out of their homes. Pakistan’s involvement in this
carnage of violence is beyond doubt.
In Jan 26, 2011 – Constitutional right to hoist Indian Flag in Lalchowk was
denied by the elected government of Jammu and Kashmir, thereby
supporting the cause of separatists.