Position Description: Special Event Volunteer Captain
Recreation Facility Services Volunteer Services Program
Volunteer Position Description
Position Title: Special Event Volunteer Captain
Purpose/Goals of Position: To help ensure that each volunteer has an exceptional leisure experience, to provide
additional support to staff during busy events, to maintain a high safety standard, and to
assist with the delivery additional programs/activities.
Purpose/Goals of Unit: - Citizens report an enjoyment of interactive experiences.
- Citizens are integral to the presentation of the life of the city through quality volunteer
- Citizens report that programs are plentiful and of good quality.
- Citizens have an increased knowledge or Edmonton’s human and cultural history.
Responsibilities: - Provide on-site tour and orientation to new event volunteers prior to the start of the
event (on event day)
- Greet and sign in volunteers
- Communicate any problems that may arise to Event Coordinator
- Ensure volunteers are relieved for breaks
- Assist with stocking/maintaining volunteer greenroom(s)
Training & Supervision - Annual ‘Volunteer Captain’ training session
-Event Coordinator(s) are available on event days for additional support
Requirements: - Past experience volunteering with the Special Event Unit
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities
- Knowledge of the Valley Zoo and/or Fort Edmonton Park sites
- 16 years of age or older
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
Health & Safety: Review the assessment during annual ‘Volunteer Captain’ training session.
Benefits: An opportunity to meet and interact with new people, an opportunity to gain valuable
skills and job experience, the opportunity to work with other volunteers and develop
your leadership skills, work in a team environment, complementary refreshments while
on shift and an invitation to attend the appreciation events for the facilities that you
Time Commitment: Episodic-evenings/weekends/holidays. Shifts begin one hour prior to event start time
and are typically five hours in length.
Length of Appointment: Based on availability of events and positions.
Supervisor Contact: Heather Rae 780-496-8727 / 780-721-1324
Jaclyn Landry 780-496-8789 / 780-554-0593
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9:00 am – 5:00 pm and event days (evenings/holidays/weekends)