1. Making creative people and innovative ideas easier to find.
2. 1999 - Web 1.0 experts wonder who will pay for it? It’ll never work! We’re doomed! Power of People
3. Kevin Kelly Wired Magazine, 2005 <ul><li>What we all failed to see was how much of this new world would be manufactured by users , not corporate interests. </li></ul><ul><li>40 percent of the Web is commercial. The rest runs on duty or passion. </li></ul>The experts were wrong…
4. 2009 – Web 2.0 Social media = Cliché advertising term Media = connector Are you the platform or a participant? You don’t need to own the group to benefit from it Social = people
5. Social media ≠ advertising It’s all about connecting – and empowering - people
6. Wants vs. Needs Mass Media can’t stop the bleeding…
7. Rethink your advertising If your only tool is a hammer… How can you get people to promote you? We need a new metaphor
8. Facebook Grows as ads shrink 0ver 200 Million Facebook users today
9. Facebook getting older, wider Facebook’s 35-54 year old demographic segment not only continued to grow the fastest, but it accelerated to a 276.4% growth rate over the past 6 months.
10. Teens don’t Tweet?
11. Social graph is powerful Mass media Social Media ( Word of mouth ) Time $$$ Or impact
12. Could social media bolster Indiana economic development? I got to thinking…
13. … discovering two degrees of separation! Genesis of Smaller Indiana…
14. Becoming Smaller Indiana …
15. Launched January 2008 7,000 + members 500 + Groups 5,000+ Forums 5,000+ Blogs 2,000 Events
16. Quite an attraction! 40,000+ Unique visitors per month 2,000+ visits per day Over 500 new members per month 50% of visitors come from outside Indiana Past 30 Days
17. Keys to Smaller Indiana success <ul><li>Plausible promise – make people findable </li></ul><ul><li>Rules / governance – use real names </li></ul><ul><li>Hyper local – Indiana focus </li></ul><ul><li>Offline activity – for example… </li></ul>
20. Twitter effect Bigger Ideas Event
21. Indy Fringe example: Sustainable Media: shared experience Former audience is more engaged
22. Indy Fringe Traffic Spike
23. Healthcare Debate: right or privilege?
24. Quaker Oats example: Participation Media Partner with the people!
25. Indy Partnership - in China: http://smallerindiana.com/forum/topics/business-contacts-in-shanghai
26. How do Smoosiers use social? What is your primary use of each social networking service?