1. ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGAMartins MenniksRiga City Council City Development DepartmentBoard of Economics Head of International Projects DivisionPhone: +371 67026143 RIGAFax.: +371 67012872E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org ENVIRONMENT
2. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGA City size: The territory of Riga - 304.05 km2 Inhabitants: 703 581 (year 2011) Assessed direct climate risks: ↗The possibilities of flood in lower areas; ↗The possibility of washing away the shore and the area near the links zone; ↗Erosion of the shore line in strong storms of North Western breezes. Participation in any international climate/energy initiatives: ↗Aalborg Charter (since 1994); ↗Aalborg +10 (since 2004); ↗Local Agenda 21; ↗Covenant of Mayors (2009);Current situation with 0,5%, 1%, 5%, ↗European Green Cities (participated in 2006).10%, 20% un 50% flood probability.
3. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGA City targets are set in: Riga Long Term Development Strategy 2025 Riga Development Program 2006-2012 Riga Spatial Plan 2006-2018 Riga Environmental Programme 2011-2017 Riga Air Quality Improvement Action Programme 2011-2015 Long term Energy action plan 2010 - 2020 Mitigation and adaptation achievements to date (e.g. CO2 avoided, improvements in energy efficiency, etc.”): Since the early 90ies significantly decreased industrial production; Low CO2 emissions public and private transport; House renovation and insulation measures. Approaches used: Awareness raising, planning, insulation, project Relief of Daugava valley managenet (possible green procurement).
4. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGAEnvironmental projects in RIGA City Council:↗ More than 20 EU co financed projects directly related toenvironmental issues;↗ Mainly referring to the energy and energoeficiency issues;↗ Approximately 10 investment projects and 10 cooperationprojects (“soft” projects);↗ in end of 2010 and beginning of 2011 started large scale brownfield regeneration projects;↗ Keeping on with the heat insulation of public buildings – mainlyschools and kindergartens (Some of the social houses arerenovated)↗ Different strategic environmental projects are in implementation
5. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGAThe Ecoregion projectEcoRegion aims at developing the Baltic Sea Region into the worlds firstEcoRegion, where economical growth goes hand in hand with environmentalintegrity and social justiceLead partner: Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation andNuclear Safety (Germany)Project partners: 22 from all BSR countriesDuration of the project: 36 month (Jan 2009 – Jan 2012)Project budget: 2 983 056 EUR
6. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGAThe Ecoregion project’s specific objective at the local level is to develop RigaEnvironmental programme 2011.- 2017. and as integral part Riga air qualityprogramme 2011.- 2015. thus ensuring sustainable development againstenvironmental and climate change.The actions and the measures within Riga Environmental programme 2011.-2017. and Riga air quality programme 2011.- 2015. :↗ Assessed summary of the implementation of Riga Environmental strategy2000-2010 and analyzed current situation;↗ Identified qualitative and quantitative hindrances of environment in definedareas;↗ Set environmental objectives and tasks for city of Riga;↗ Developed sustainable implementation plan linked with relevant long-termstrategies;
7. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGA Baseline review (up-date) Core document: Sustainability report Target setting Evaluating and reporting Core Document: Evaluation Report Sustainability targets Implementation and Political comitment Monitoring Core Document: Council Sustainabuility report Aprovement
8. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGA TĀD UZS MA OG ĪJU PR RA MI M STime scale of the Program 2011. 2013. 2015. 2017. 2018. 2020. 2012. 2014. 2016. 2019. 2011 2012 2013 2017 2014 2015 2016 2018 2019 2020
9. RIGAStructure of the Program The AIM of the Program (Directly linked with the strategic planning documents of Riga) Task of the program Nr.1 Task of the program Nr.2 Task of the program Nr.3 Criterias Criterias Criterias Criterias Criterias Criterias CriteriasProject Project Project Project Project Project Project Project Project Project Project Project Project Project Project Project Projects Finance Finance Finance Finance Finance Finance Finance source source source source source source source 9
10. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGA„Integrated Strategy for Riga City to Adapt to the HydrologicalProcesses Intensified by Climate Change Phenomena”↗ Part of the territory of Riga oftensuffers from flooding. It causessignificant economic and moral loss tothe owners of these territories.↗ Due to the effects of global warmingthe likelihood of flooding and coastalerosion processes in the territory ofRiga increases even to a greater scale.
11. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGA Questions that we would like to discuss in project:↗ Development of flood management in your city - a brief look back in history;↗ Types of flooding that your cities face;↗ Mitigation of flood impact – solutions, techniques, instruments, methods etc.;↗ Legislation of flood management;↗ Distribution of liability in flood management;↗ Impact of flood management on territorial planning;↗ Flood management funding arrangements;↗ Other negative impacts of hydrological processes (such as coastal erosion etc.) on the city territory;↗ Impact of climate changes on flood management;↗ Communication with the society;↗ Recommendations for Riga City.
12. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGAThe main project actions: ↗ Detailed studies of hydrological processes affecting territory of Riga City and their current and potential impacts; ↗ Getting acquainted with the experience and best practices in identifying, planning and managing flood risk zones in 3 European cities; ↗ Development of Flood Risk Management Plan for Riga City; ↗ Development of Methodological guidelines for territorial planning of different flood risk zones.
13. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGACity Environment projects in Riga:Reconstruction of Red warehouse block in Riga by creating revitalization theterritory and the Daugava river bank (Bicycle road, bank protection, traffic safety,more green sections)
14. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGAComplex Grizinkalna neighborhood revitalization project:Reconstruction of parks and gardens (4 parks and gardens);Reconstruction of lighting system in neighborhood – 16 streets (energyconsumption, safety);Reconstruction of streets, water-supply and sewerage – 7 streets (environmentalproblems, , water-supply safety);Reconstruction of oldest wooden house in Riga.
15. ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGA Partners in Environmental issues:RIGA
16. RIGA ENVIRONMENTAL AND CLIMATE CHANGE CHALLENGES IN RIGA THANK YOU Martins Menniks Riga City Council City Development Department Board of Economics Head of International Projects Division Phone: +371 67026143 Fax.: +371 67012872 E-mail: email@example.com