1. THE SUCCESS FACTORS OFVIVEL,LIFEBUOY AND REXONAPREPARED BYVIDHYA PURUSHOTHAMANS2 MBA-AVISHKARMACFAST
2. VIVELAs per Euromonitor, in 2010, Vivel had a market share of1.6 per cent in the bath and shower category, vis-à-vis 0.9per cent in 2008 (the year it was launched). Within threeyears it has doubled its market share in a category with morethan 40 brands.This is impressive considering the fact that 80-year-oldbrand Lux (the market leader) has 13.7 per cent marketshare in the category. Also, reportedly, Vivel’s market sharein the mid-segment soap category (which is where the brandoperates) is currently around six per cent.
3. Vivel soaps are one of the fastest growing for ITC with a growthrate of 75-80 per cent. Sandeep Kaul, Chief Executive, PersonalCare Products Business, ITC says, “Within a short span, Vivelhas been able to carve a space in the consumer mind space andis growing steadily amongst its contemporaries”.Vivel is targeting young consumers who are ready to flirt withnew brands.As Jag deep Kapoor, Chairman and Managing Director,Samsika Marketing Consultant, says, “Vivel seems to befocusing on young consumers who are looking for a change andpeople who are not necessarily tied to a brand for many years.The strategy has helped the company gain some market sharequite early in the product lifecycle.
4. THE SUCCESS PATH While ITC has Essenza Di Wills and Fiama Di Willstoo in its portfolio, Vivel is targeted at the mid-segment Has adopted the strategy of capturing differentconsumers through its different variants within themid segment; e.g. Vivel-di-Wills is targeted at thecreamy layer of the mid-segment Is targeted at young consumers who are ready to flirtwith new brands
5. Has nine variants in the soap categorylike Sandal Sparkle, SheerCrème besides others• The range is competitively pricedwith HUL’s Lux and as an alternativeto consumers who would like to upgradefrom the lower price segment• Has a push-pull strategy for promotionand distribution. While push isthe powerful distribution clout, pullis the advertising strategy
6. RESULTWHAT THE BRAND ACHIEVED Vivel soaps are one of the fastest growing forITC with a growth rate of 75-80 per cent Has managed to garner a market share of 1.6per cent in the bath and shower category, vis-à-vis 0.9 per cent in 2008 (the year it waslaunched) Within three years it has doubled its marketshare in a category with more than 40 brands
7. LIFEBUOYLifebuoy is a brand that is truly “global” before the term“global brand” was invented. Lifebuoy soap is found across theworld, in some countries such as India where it is the marketleading brand. Lifebuoy is Unilever’s oldest brand launched in 1894 asdisinfectant soap in the UK to support people in their questfor better personal hygiene. Lifebuoy is the world’s number one soap which comes upwith an idea of the health and hygiene.
8. SUCCESS FACTORS Improved health and hygiene. ‘Swathya Chetana’ programmes. Sensitivity of changing market. Understanding of how and why customers buy Product line coverage Identification and positioning to fullfil customer needs. Prevention of price wars Distribution coverage and delivery speed.
9. REXONALaunched as early as 1947, Rexona is a natural skin caresoap that gives you silky soft skin. It is an indigenous brandcreated by HUL and has been an integral part of the Indianmarket ever since. Rexona’s irresistibly silky soft skin andlingering aromatic fragrance proposition has been an ally tothe Indian women to keep those compliments flowing infrom their loved ones.
10. Success factors The Rexona Soap which offers to the customers in themarket is very effective and the company is a well knownand established brand. These products are high on demand in the market due tothe excellent cleaning properties they have. They supply and export these products which have beenprocured from reliable vendors on the market. The products are supplied to the customers on time in asafe manner and they are available at very reasonablerates. Good quality Effective Cost effective
11. BRAND POSITIONING MAPHygienic and health(LIFEBUOY)Natural skin care(REXONA)Fragrant, refreshing (VIVEL)