2. What is Web Search Engine ?• A web search engine is designed to search for information on the World Wide Web and FTP servers. (wikipedia)• are an essential part of the world wide web. They automatically index all websites they learn about, and maintain a database of keywords.
3. What(2)• To crawl your website to collect data and index it. Search engines look at meta data and content as well as other information about web pages using robot technology.• Giant indices of the Internet, these companies use roving "spider" programs to follow links and index URLs, keywords, and content of web pages. People can type in search words and find web pages containing relevant material. ...
4. Why does it exists ?• http://www.w3.org/History/19921103- hypertext/hypertext/DataSources/WWW/Servers.html WWW in 1992• In 1992, WWW is gone online• Growth of WWW• Web Directories based on Human decisions• Exponential growth of WWW• Impossible to track via human based effort• Computer based web directories -> Search Engines
5. Ultimate Goals of Search EnginesUsing Keywords you shoud retrieve• Most Relevant Content• Offline perception -> Search Result• Fair Search Result Listing• Reliable Content
6. What can search engines bring us ?• Webpages ( ofcourse)• Images• Videos• PDF files• DOC files• Definitions• Security Cams (?)Check it : slide google search features
7. Where do they make money ?%97 of Google’s revenue is Advertising
8. How Does it work ?• Check Slide / How does search engine work ?
9. A bit History of Search Engines• 1993 World Wide Wanderer• 1995 Yahoo , AltaVista• 1996 Dogpile• 1997 Yandex (Russia)• 1998 Google , MSN Search ( Now Bing )• 2000 Baidu (China)• 2004 Yahoo Search!• 2010 Yandex Global
10. Search Engines in 2011 October• There are 69 Search Engines• Main Search engines in the world – Google – Yahoo – Bing – Yandex – Baidu• Others are under %1 usageAccording to http://marketshare.hitslink.com/search-engine-market-share.aspx?qprid=4
11. Search Engine Market Share World Wide
12. Search Engine Market Share : Turkey
13. In Turkey• GOOGLE = INTERNET – Many people thinks that google is the Internet• GOOGLE = SEARCH ENGINE• GOOGLE = SEARCH ENGINE MARKETING – Adwords only vendor for search engine marketers• GOOGLE = SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION – Google Rules !
14. Power of (Search Engines) Google• Tens of Billions of search; every month• Control of Perception – Google bomb – Google washing• Biggest advertising Channel – Google make 32.2 billion U.S. Dolar revenue last four quarter
15. Future is near !• Semantic search seeks to improve search accuracy by understanding searcher intent and the contextual meaning of terms as they appear in the searchable dataspace, whether on the Web or within a closed system, to generate more relevant results.
16. Thanks to this guy we have WWW• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Berners-Lee