Pixels at an Exhibition: Creating A Museum In Second Life
Pixels at an Exhibition:
Creating a Museum
in Second Life ®
Presented March 5 & 6, 2010 Poster Session at
The Future is Now: Libraries and Museums in Virtual Worlds
By Bibi Bayliss (Vicki Küng), Curator & co-founder Museum of Robots
Linden Lab and Second Life are trademarks of Linden Research, Inc. This presentation is not affiliated with or sponsored by Linden Research.
a virtual museum has the same
goals and challenges as a
physical world museum:
• The Big Idea: what is this museum
about? Who is our audience?
• What are the core elements the
collection should contain?
• What is our criteria for content that is
relevant, cohesive & tells a story?
Museum of Robots’ approach
• Curate a central collection and add exhibits
that are engaging and thematic
• Continuously engage the Second Life and
real life creative communities
• Remember the audience: broaden the base,
respect the core
• Promote, support, partner, collaborate and
advocate for the arts in both worlds
have goals and plans for the future
Ours is to gain recognition for virtual museums, their role
and value as educational and aesthetic institutions, and
their place in museum advocacy organizations
where you can find us