1. CONFIDENTIAL Boosting Innovation in Large Companies by Acting like Startups Nicolas Verellen Idealabs email@example.com Cédric Deweeck Idealabs Cedric.firstname.lastname@example.orgOctober 26th 2012
2. Shape, build, and launch tomarket in three months#stoptalkingstartbuilding
3. With idealabs wehave the ambitionto build a strongand sustainableentrepreneurialcommunity inAntwerp
5. Principles of aEntrepreneurialecosystem1. Entrepreneurs must lead the startup community2. The leaders must have a long-term commitment3. The start up community must be inclusive of anyone who wants to participate in it4. The startup community must have continual activities that engage the entire entrepreneurial stack
6. Participants of aEntrepreneurialecosystemEntrepreneursGovernmentUniversitiesInvestorsMentorsService providersLarge companies
9. Stripped building 3 month set upPrivate fund validation of needCore team validation of interestStrong Backers validation of ideas? MVP
10. shape build launchMONTH 1 MONTH 2 MONTH 3
11. philosophy whatwe believe in Be more innovative. Stop wasting peoples time. Be more successful. eric ries the lean startup movement
12. philosophy MVP Minimum set of features Learn from early adopters Avoid building a product nobody wants Learn from testing eric ries the lean startup movement
13. philosophy whatwe believe in
14. no technical developmentvalidate assumptions3 min introduction videoSign Up Button
15. idea business selection program demo follow-up support procedure kick-off day investment for growth MONTH MONTH MONTH 6-9 1 2 3 M O NTH S seed funding office space mentoring education product central services and IT lab
16. From 70 applications we chose 3 startups
17. They are working very hard!
18. Second step: Turnthat stripped buildingin to a entrepreneurialHUB
19. THE SPACE HUB EVENTSCAMPUS COFFEELABS
20. A space where people, technology,materials, philosophies and ideas mix,collide and collaborate to produceground breaking innovations
21. Center of Antwerp / 2000 sqm /Workshops/ Speaker Series / NetworkingEvents / Building prototypes / Breakoutoffice / Private meetings
22. Third Step: BlendingCompanies and Startups atidealabs
23. Stodgy. Slow. Bureaucratic.Big companies get a bad rapwhen it comes to innovation.
24. Big companies are applying startupstrategies and tools to jump-startinnovation. It’s not about pontificatingon the innovation process. It’s aboutbeing lean, focused, and maniacally
25. FIRST STEPSIntuit organizes multi-day“lean start-ins” that gather“intrapreneurs” togetherfrom across the companyto teach them how to applyrapid experimentation tocreate new products,services, and businessmodels.Kimberly-Clark promotes one-day “expert accelerationsessions” that bring hand-picked outside “thoughtleaders” face to face withbusiness teams to bust mentalmodels and create game-changing strategies.Whirlpool uses a network of innovationmentors (also called i-mentors), who areloaded with innovation tools andguidance to help business teamsfocused on challenging market“orthodoxies.”
26. BIG STEPSBBC Worldwide officially launched Volkswagen Group of AmericaBBC Worldwide Labs. The initiative is Electronics Research Laboratoryaimed at supporting the creative and (ERL) has teamed up withPlugdigital industries in the UK by and Play to accelerate andoffering them insight and expertise collaborate with startups tointo the industry.  transfer technology from many industries into the automotive domain.Pepsi Co wants to get in on theground level with companies thatcould become the next Twitter via itsDigital Labs program.
27. Big companies that behave like small startupsfocus on two things:First, they Second, they giveaccelerate the internal businessesspeed of and teams aninnovation, outside-injust like a perspective, similarSilicon Valley to the type ofincubator. reality-checking that comes from advisory boards or venture capitalists.
28. LBi improves collaborationwith clients after HyperIsland experience
29. General Assembly partnerswith General Electric
30. We are blendingcompanies andstartups at idealabs1. Business model 3. ‘Lean Startup’innovation classes: methodology applied tochallenge the status-quo corportations. Shape,and identify the business build, launch approachand revenue models of workshop:the future •Incubation of2. Classes for intrapreneurs/intrapreneurs: rapid corporate venturingexperimentationtechniques to create new •Corporate innovationproducts, services and labsbusiness models.
31. Last Step: Experimentingourselves, and opening a miniProduct Lab
32. Product Lab: offer people theopportunity to do some rapidprototyping right behind thecoffeebar
33. Thanks for listening!Got any questions?www.idealabs.be@idealabs_beNicolas Verellennicolas.email@example.com
34. CONFIDENTIAL VERHAERT MASTERS IN INNOVATION® Headquarters Hogenakkerhoekstraat 21 9150 Kruibeke (B) tel +32 (0)3 250 19 00 fax +32 (0)3 254 10 08 firstname.lastname@example.org More at www.verhaert.com VERHAERT MASTERS IN INNOVATION® Netherlands European Space Innovation Centre Kapteynstraat 1 VERHAERT MASTERS IN INNOVATION® helps companies and governments to innovate. 2201 BB Noordwijk (NL) We design products and systems for organizations looking for new ways to provide value Tel: +31 (0)633 666 828 for their customers. email@example.com We are a leading integrated product innovation center; creating technology platforms, More at www.verhaert.com developing new products and business in parallel, hence facilitating new-growth strategies for our clients.October 26th 2012