1. The Extended Self : Indian Market PerspectiveSubmitted to:-Mr.Ajay Kumar Submitted By:- Veeraj Vashishtha Asst. Professor FMG 061 NIIT University NU-MBA
2. Possession and Self• When knowingly or unknowingly, intentionally or unintentionally, we regard our possessions as parts of ourselves.• “A mans Self is the sum total of all that he CAN call his, not only his body and his psychic powers, but his clothes and his house, his wife and children, his ancestors and friends, his reputation and works, his lands, and yacht and bank-account. All these things give him the same emotions. If they wax and prosper, he feels triumphant; if they dwindle and die away, he feels cast down,-not necessarily in the same degree for each thing, but in much the same way for all.” William James (1890).
3. Possessions• The extended includes external objects, personal possessions, persons, places, and group possession, body parts, vital organs... (which as “me” and also which as “mine”).• Between what a man calls me and what he calls mine the line is difficult to draw. We feel and act about certain things that are ours very much as we feel and act about ourselves. Our fame, our children, the work of our hands, may be as dear to us as our bodies are (James – 1890).• External objects become viewed as part of self when we are able to exercise power or control over them, just as we might control an arm or a leg. The greater the control we exercise, the more closely allied with self the object should become. (McClelland - 1951).
4. Extended Self• Cannot differentiate between me and mine.• A product or a thing becomes a part of personal well being and it gets attached to emotions, sentiments, later becoming the part of one’s personality.
5. 3 ways of incorporating Possessions into the Extended Self Appropriating or controlling an object for personal use. Having an object and incorporating it into self by creating it, buying an object. Make objects become a part of self is by knowing them by inspiring the desire to have the object: object can be a person, place, or thing. – Ownership: house, car, land… is also a part of extended self. – Life style: clothes, accent, grooming, and jewelry express the person belong to which group.
6. Vintage Cars & Vintage car Rally. Doing Everything for Vintage
7. Lambretta Scooter Preserved for 41 Years
8. Craze for Roadies.
9. Yezdi Lovers Unite @ Bangalore
10. Old isGold
11. Pets as extended self.
12. Tendulkar wearing 10 number Jersey
13. Salman Khan and His Bracelet.
14. Narendra Modi – Famous Kurta The kurta is famous by the name of Modi Kurta and is also being sold in countries like U.K.