1. The Seven Challengesof VMware ManagementBy Eric Siebert
2. What’s in?Virtualization adds very much efficiency to but it alsocreates new challenges. Enterprise monitoring Storage Business management view Monitoring & Reporting VM sprawl Change management Capacity planning
3. Challenge 1. VM Sprawl
4. VM SprawlVirtual Machine Sprawl to virtual environment is whaturban sprawl is to cities It contributes to:  uncontrolled growth of virtual machines  over-allocation of resources.
5. Why VM Sprawl is the thing to happen? Virtualization changes the approach to server provisioning. It took weeks (if not months) with physical servers, it takes 2 Minutes now with VMs Creating a new VM is way too simple: ● Tell the VMware admin your requirements (CPU, memory, disk); ● VMware admin selects a host and completes a wizard to create the VM.
6. Why is VM Sprawl BAD?VM Sprawl makes the management of your virtualenvironment more difficult and can even cost youreal money: Every VM in an environment consumes resources >> has a cost associated with it. So, while VMs may seem free, they are actually not!
7. How to avoid VM Sprawl? implement approval process that requires justification and tracking of requests to create new VMs. implement chargeback by monitoring metrics on host resource usage so you can help the business understand the real cost of VMs. document any new VMs and monitor their lifecycles; delete VMs if they are no longer needed. monitor VM resource usage to identify VMs are no longer active and VMs that no longer need the assigned resources.
8. Best Solution to Prevent VM Sprawl Veeam ONE™ provides tools that can help you identify and stop VM sprawl so your virtual environment doesn’t become a virtual junkyard.
9. Challenge 2. Storage Management
10. Storage Management Managing storage is always a challenge; You have to ensure storage performs well and has enough capacity for your VMs; One of the biggest challenges with storage management lies in VM snapshots and thin disks as they can over time exhaust disk capacity! Insufficient disk space may result in VMs being suspended or even data corruption!
11. Input-Output BottlenecksThe path between a VM and storage is complicated,the I/O has to go through many different componentsand queues. The following factors may also cause I/Obottlenecks and affect storage performance: Disk alignment; Multi-pathing; Improper configuration and settings; Excessive I/O; Improper architecture/design; Too many snapshots.
12. How to avoid I/O bottlenecks?To avoid I/O bottlenecks you need the right tool that can monitor yourstorage resources and alert you when performance is degrading.Veeam ONE provides full storage monitoring capabilitiesto help you prevent I/O bottlenecks, including: Disk space monitoring; I/O latency monitoring; Disk issues monitoring; Datastore monitoring.Veeam ONE also helps you keep an eye on over-provisioned datastores, provides utilization trend analysisand assists in optimizing VM placement on datastores.
13. Challenge 3. Business Views
14. Structuring your environmentThe number of virtual machines that can run on a host isincreasing at a rapid pace.This can pose a problem when VMs with different functionsand from different departments and business groups getlumped together on the same host.It makes chargeback and reporting quite a challenge.
15. What your business needsFor more efficient VM management your environmentshould be categorized with your business needs in mind,such as: Service level agreements (SLAs); Departments (sales, marketing, R&D, IT); Company or business unit; Geographic location; Server role (database, email, web, authentication); Operating system (Windows versions, Linux Distros).
16. A better way to do thisYou can do this manually using standard VM folders, butthere is an easier and more comprehensive way to do this!Veeam ONE: Provides an automated, flexible and dynamic way to group objects of your infrastructure in different categories; Allows you to edit attributes both individually and in mass; Do it all with ease!
17. Challenge 4. Change Management
18. Why should changes be a challenge?Virtualization is all about the sharing of commoninfrastructure components and resources betweenmany VMs.This is why seemingly innocent changes can have reallybig impact on entire virtual environment.Changes can have ripple effects across all the hostsand have large scale consequences.
19. “It’s been working fine, what’s happened?”This is the first question to arise when a problem occurs.To know the answer, one should know exactly what haschanged in the infrastructure.That’s why change tracking can play a big rolein troubleshooting.
20. Keep an eye on all the changesVeeam ONE automatically captures all changes that occuracross all the hosts in your infrastructure.With Veeam ONE you will always know the “who, what,where, when and how” of every change.Veeam ONE also provides instant visibility of changesallowing you to easily isolate the root cause ofperformance slowdowns and availability issues and getyour environment back on tracks within minutes.
21. Challenge 5. Monitoring & Reporting
22. Performance monitoringMonitoring performance in a virtual environment is muchmore complicated than with physical servers becausephysical resources are shared by many VMs. In a virtualized environment there is more to monitor >> interpreting the statistics and results can be difficult.
23. Performance Statistics TornadoThere is an overwhelming number of performance statisticsfor VMs. Don’t try to analyze and understand them all –most of them you don’t even need to bother with!Not to get lost in this “statistics tornado” you should focus onthose of them that really matter:  CPU Ready  Mem Swapped  Disk GAVG  Disk Commands  Net Usage
24. Pro-active, not re-activeWhen it comes to performance of your whole virtualinfrastructure you can’t afford being reactive, you shouldbe pro-active!Veeam ONE not only monitors at the virtualization layerbut it also provides visibility into the guest OS and providescapabilities for managing processes there so that you canprevent any performance problem to occur!
25. Challenge 6. Capacity Planning
26. Keep the resources well-balancedBalance of resources is critical for virtual infrastructure!If resources are not balanced, it can lead to wastedresources that cannot be used:E.g., if a host with plenty of other resources available runs out ofphysical memory, it limits the number of VMs that can run on it.
27. Wasted resourcesHaving wasted resources reduces your ROI anddecreases efficiency!This is why proper capacity planning is very essential.
28. Calculating capacity needsTrying to calculate your capacity needs is also complicatedby the need to have sufficient spare capacity available tobe used to support features like VMware High Availability(HA) admission control.In order for HA to work properly, you have to leave enoughspare capacity to support the loss of one or more hosts sothat VMs can be started on other hosts when needed.
29. Identify your needs & plan for futureVeeam ONE makes it easier to: plan future capacity needs Identify resource optimizations.It tracks your virtual environment’s configuration as well astrends based on past and current resource utilization.Veeam ONE indeed makes capacity planning easyand efficient!
30. Challenge 7. Enterprise Monitoring
31. Different Management SilosEvery data center has many separate management silosfor all the various technologies/products/applications.Trying to manage all these silos can be particularlychallenging, and using multiple tools to manage multiplesystems can result in multiple headaches.Having fewer panes of glass to look through makesmanagement much easier.
32. VMware monitoring with SCOM? Most data centers that use VMware as their virtualization platform also use Microsoft for the operating system and applications running within their VMs. If you are already using SCOM and SCVMM, why not use these to manage VMware as well? You will get a single management pane of glass that allows for centralized management and monitoring of multiple layers within your environment. All you need is the right tool to integrate VMware with SCOM.
33. Veeam Management PackVeeam Management Pack is a unique software packagethat provides seamless integration of VMware intoSCOM environment.With Veeam Management Packyou can use all the capabilities of Microsoft SCOM forefficient VMware monitoring and management fromone console!
34. More questions? If you have any more questions on this or any relatedtopic, don’t forget to visit our treasury of free educational content at www.veeam.com/whitepapers
35. Thank you!And don’t forget to add your feedback!