In terms of the level of investment activity, I’ve got good news to report…..If we look at the NATIONAL NUMBERS, investments in early stage companies is up across the board and the THREE MAIN METROSEARLY STAGE VENTURE DOLLARS in 2011 reached a 10 year high (exceeding 2001 levels)…and we BELIEVEwill continue to increase to support the burgeoning incubator ecosystem.
Turning to the investment activity here in Southern California – the trends are also heading in the right directions. As the headlines notes, we’re bucking the latest trends and showing positive growthAccording to the recent PwC MoneyTreeReport, $925MM was invested in Southern California in Q1 of 2012, up from $600MM invested in the region in Q1 of 2011. The amount was also more than in Q4 of 2011, when $775MM was invested in the region.In terms of dollars, San Diego led the region with $350MM in investments across 21 deals, boosted significantly by a $140M investment in Sapphire Energy; Los Angeles was second with $320MM in 48 deals; Orange County had $250MM in 13 deals. The largest deal was Sapphire Energy's $139M funding, followed by Fisker Automotive, which raised $129.72M, and Sientra, which raised $65.0M in the quarter.Otherwise generally consistent trend over the last two+ years of growing investments.
In addition to the institutional VCs, the LA tech scene has been aided in the last year by the explosive growth in the number of local incubators / accelerators“Heat map” ofthese groups ---- clear clustering on the West Side, Hollywood and out in PasadenaSome you’ll HEAR FROM ON THE PANELS later this eveningWest Side - many are within walking distance of where we are tonight and you’ll see some of the companies present in the competition Hollywood – I/O ventures launched with 200 seat campus in the heart of HollywoodPasadena - Idealab created the incubator model!Universities – Last but not least, also seeing the major universities here, who also in effect incubate and spin-out technology and companies.Ecosystem is growing!
I think we can all feel it
Whether or not you like the moniker “Silicon Beach”…..Love it or hate it….better embrace it….it’s on the map and increasingly talked about and referred to in the popular tech pressWe’ve got an action packed evening ahead….with that I’ll turn it back to Bambi
1. “State of the Union” Summer 2012
2. Stage Set for Success “Los Angeles is an entrepreneurial powerhouse” The Kauffman Index of Entrepreneurial Activity shows Los Angeles had the highest entrepreneurial activity rate of any one region in USA at 580 per 100,000 adults. According to a recent study, the Startup Genome, LA is listed #6 in the world for startup ecosystems, based on average “throughput” and active ecosystem, behind #2 New York, and #1 Silicon Valley. Page 2
3. Our “Power Alleys” Direct Clean Digital Media eCommerce Gaming Marketing Tech Confluence of Marriage of Gaming Lead generation and Defense, creative industry content, commerce & > Music or Film performance based manufacturing, with technology. fashion. advertising. university research. Ideally poised Rise of subscription Majors like Bring direct response Natural extension and for online services & celebrity Activision, EA, expertise from trad’l evolution to clean video boom. endorsed properties. THQ. arenas of TV and mail tech applications. to online. Page 3
6. Rising Tide of SoCal Venture Fundings“Southern California Bucks VC Trend, As Firms Raise $925 million In Q1” 60+ Deals Source: PwC MoneyTree Survey Page 6
7. SoCal Venture Capital Landscape“The Locals” Most Active “Out of Towners” Page 7
8. Incubators & Accelerators Landscape Page 8
9. Local Co-working Spaces Page 9
10. In Conclusion….Just the Beginning • Undisputed national hotbed for entrepreneurial activity • Leveraging unique strengths across multiple industry verticals • Ecosystem and support network growing stronger, broader and maturing every day • Funding available and seeking the next wave of winners and industry leaders to come out of City of Angels! Page 10