1. Fast facts aboutWest Bengal Tourism Industry• State formed : 1947• West Bengal Tourism Development Corporation formed : 1974• Tourism declared as an industry in the state : 1996• Tourism policy declared in : 2008• Current Tourism Minister : Shri Krishnendu Narayan Chowdhary
2. The basic objectives of the Tourism Policy, 2008• To improve the market share of West Bengal in the inbound international tourism segment and also to have a dominant share in the domestic tourism market.• To promote responsible and sustainable tourism through the integrated development of the infrastructure and not sporadic, stand alone and fragmented development.• To develop a portfolio of tourism products by utilizing its unique ecological, historical, cultural, religious, wildlife, sports, shopping, health care, educational and human assets.• To facilitate tourism by all segments, particularly the middle and lower income tourists, by making the tourist spots in the State more easily accessible through single-window facility at the State capital and at the district headquarters and on the Internet.• To fully tap the direct and indirect economic benefits of tourism by broad basing tourism activities. This will be done by creating more employment opportunities and by dispersing tourism into the hinterland which will further the socio-economic goals of the Government.• To proactively develop partnership with the governmental and non-governmental agencies including the private sector (Public-Private-Partnership model)(PPP) to take advantage of complementary capital and intellectual assets to promote tourism.• To increase the revenue earnings of the State and the foreign exchange reserves of the country.
3. Major tourism destinations and circuitsThe Government of West Bengal is desirous ofpromoting West Bengal as an ideal touristdestination. It aims at developing specializedtourism products such as…
4. • Pilgrimage tourism - Dakshineswar, Furfura Sharif, Bandel Church, Tarapeeth, Belurmath, Jairambati, Tarakeseshwar, Kali Ghat• Coastal & Beach Tourism - Digha, Sagar Islands• Eco tourism and wild life tourism - Sunderbans & Dooars• Folk Tourism - Centres of Folk dance and drama across the State• Educational Heritage & Culture Tourism - Shantiniketan, Bishnupur (Terracotta Temples)• Adventure Tourism (Darjeeling & surrounding areas) - Trekking, white water rafting• Tea tourism – Darjeeling & Dooars• Cruise tourism – Ganga river• Horticulture tourism – Botanical Garden, Shibpur , Agri- Horticulture Garden – Alipore
5. Consultancies appointed to position West Bengal; as a global tourist destination : • 2007 - Ernst and Young • 2009 - Mott Macdonald • 2010 - Wally Olins Saffron Brand
6. The vision of the current chief minister of the state seeks totransforming Darjeeling into Switzerland, Kolkata into London and Digha into Goa!
7. Initiatives taken to promote West Bengal • "Look East Policy" by Union Ministry • Theme state at World Travel Mart, London (2012) • Kolkata Tourism Festival 2012 • Inbound Tour Operators Council (ITOC) to observe 2013 as "Visit Bengal Year" • Participation in international tourism events like ITB Asia, WTM London, ITB Berlin • The much talked about promotional video film by Shahrukh Khan
8. Thank You! Presentation by: Vandita Hajra Amity Institute of Travel and Tourism Masters in Tourism Admin 2011-2013