By: Vaibhav D. Sawant
New Roll No : 19
Old Roll No: 35
˚ What is green computing?
˚ Why green computing and why go green?
˚ Reasons for adopting green solution.
˚ Approaches to Green Computing
Approaches to Green
What is Virtualization?
• Virtualization allows one computer to do the job of
• Virtual environments let one computer host multiple
operating systems at the same time
Computer virtualization is the process of running two or more
logical computer system on one set of physical hardware.
Background and Evolution
• Virtualization arose from a need in the 1960’s to
partition large mainframe hardware.
• Improved in the 1990s to allow mainframes to
• First implemented by IBM more than 30 years ago.
How does it work?
• Virtualization transforms hardware into software.
• It is the creation of a fully functional virtual computer
that can run its own applications and operating
• Creates virtual elements of the CPU, RAM, and hard
• Virtualization one of the most effective tools for cost effective,
• Reduce the cost of power and cooling through the consolidation
and virtualization of the IT server infrastructure.
• $300 -$600 per year in energy savings for every server removed
through virtualization based consolidation.
• Virtualization helps a company/enterprise lower power and
cooling consumption, by reducing the machines and servers it
Establish phased approach for quick wins
Migrate initial servers from ‘early adopter’ teams
Comprehensive project plan and management system in place
– Integrated business priorities with transformational objectives
– ‘Work in progress’ approach to maximize server migrations
–Pipeline, process, technical, finance and communications support
Developed internal business case and cash flow analysis using
specific server costs, detailed labor analysis, migration expense
Virtualize- Data Centers
Improve IT equipment utilization
Reduce IT hardware requirements
Advanced POWER Virtualization (APV)
Reduced number of physical servers
– Wintel from 11,000 to 1,500
– UNIX from 8,500 to 1,500
Three times improvement in server
Formed a Virtualization Center of
Excellence to implement best practices
Operational savings of up to 70%
–Space, power and cooling, maintenance,
software support and personnel costs
IT Cost Savings powered by z/VM
Virtualization on z10 EC
Scope of Virtualization
will foster virtualization
˚ Benefits include freedom in choice of operating
˚ It saves time , money and energy.
˚ Consolidates server and infrastructure.
˚ Makes it easier to manage and secure desktop
˚ Only powerful computers can successfully create
˚ Requires training to operate.
˚ Virtualization is an optimization technique that
rationalizes the usage of computing resources thus
reducing the harmful effects on the environment.
˚ With more and more vendors offering various
virtualization solutions today, the price point is no
longer a deterrent to adopt virtualization as an
enterprise wide strategy.
More and more companies and organizations are
realizing the green IT benefits associated with
virtualization and this is leading to better adoption of