VA Filing Tutorial A Product of the Virginia State Board of Elections Suite 101, 200 North 9th Street Richmond, Virginia 23219-3485 Telephone: 804 864-8901 Toll Free: 800 552-9745 FAX: 804 371-0194 The Campaign Finance Division Staff wishes to express Special Thanks to Michael Kelly, Governors Fellow, Office of the Governor, Timothy M. Kaine for his help on this project.
David Allen, Manager [email_address] Rise’ Miller, Service Specialist [email_address] Marian Mines, Candidate Specialist [email_address] Tina Edmonds, Compliance Specialist [email_address] Campaign Finance Division Staff:
Part 1 VA Filing Download/Install To Download Go to www.sbe.virginia.gov
SBE is dedicated to providing information to the Citizens of the Commonwealth
Click on “Campaign Finance Disclosure”
Virginia is a Full Disclosure State. Our website is interactive in that our pages are viewable by the public and useable by the filers. These are the options available.
Jump Right In!
1. Click on Download VAFiling
2. Then click on the link to download the Setup Program 3. On the File Download Window click Save to download VAFilingProd.exe
4. Click on the “Desktop” icon then click the “Save” button. (Important information regarding Download Time)
5. Go to your desktop and you will see the “VAFilingProd.exe” file. Double Click this file then click “Run”.
6. You have successfully downloaded the program.
Close this window.
7. The files are self extracting – Click “Unzip”.
8. You will see 3 files unzipped successfully. Click “OK”. Installing the Software
9. Go to “My Computer” then “Local Disk C:” Click on the folder VAFilingSetupFiles. Double Click on “setup.exe” or the computer icon.
10. You will see the “Copying Files” screen for a moment.
11. Then you will see the setup screen. Click “OK” and you will see a larger identical screen. Click on the box with the computer icon
12. Choose your program group- “Virginia Electronic Filing”. Click “Continue”.
13. You may get this screen. Click the “Yes” button
… You are now ready to begin using VAFiling!
14. When you get the message “Setup was completed successfully”…
Part 2. Using VAFiling
3. You will see the map of Virginia.
Click the “Start Menu”, then select “All Programs”
2. Go to “Virginia Electronic Filing” and click.
4. Click on the “File” tab at the top left corner. Click “New”. ( You will click New ONE TIME ONLY) hit the backspace key and name your file.
5. Click “Save”.
6. Welcome, you are now ready to set up your profile. Click “OK”
7. Complete all information. It is required by the Campaign Finance Disclosure Act. It is also important to have your committee ID and Security Code (if you do not have these codes please call SBE at 1-800-552-9745 for the Campaign Finance Division 8. This date is when you opened your bank account, filed your Statement of Organization, or the January after the date of the previous election. PACs cycle changes January 1 yearly.
TYPE OF COMMITTEE 9. Click on the arrow at the end of the file name line and select your type of committee. Changing Type of Committee
10. Choose your filing period according the schedule for your committee type. Go to this link for the Candidate Schedule http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/cms/Campaign_Finance/2007_Cidate_Filing_Schedule.pdf 11. Go to this link for the PAC Schedule http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/cms/Campaign_Finance/2007_PAC_Filing_Schedule.pdf 12. Click “Update and Close”.
13. Once the profile is completed, you will get this window. Click “OK” to open the Preset Values screen.
14. If you have never filed for your campaign or committee, all entries in “PreSet Values” will be zero. If you have filed previously using a paper form, go to your “Schedule H” of the last report and manually key in the figures. It is imperative that the “Previous Filing Period” be completed by using the drop down menu. 15. Click “OK”.
16. You will get this message if they have saved successfully. Click “OK” to close it.
17. Click “OK”. Go to “Jump” at the top of your screen to open the “Jump Screen”. This is a universal screen. It takes you anywhere in the program to key information.
Click “Add” to post receipts which include cash, checks, and in-kind (A good or service of any value or any loan you have received), a rebate, refund or Interest payment. Voided Checks are entered under Rebates, Refunds and Interest.
All receipts are to be entered individually. It is not recommended to “Add Unitemized” receipt.
When entering information into the schedules, the program stores the core information (name, contact, etc). Click the name in the highlighted area and the form will pre-fill this core information. You only need to fill in the date received, dollar amount, and information unique to each schedule.
Click “Add” to post expenditures.
Adding Expenditures All monies must be disclosed. Loans repaid are reported separately and do not go under the normal expenditures. Any outstanding debts owed must be reported until paid in full. Surplus funds are reported only if the committee is closing and filing a final report. Click the appropriate “View/Edit” to view or edit information previously entered.
Schedules G & H (summary pages) pre-fill based on the posted receipts and expenditures entered. These schedules cannot be manually edited.
The information below (lines 21-29) comes from the amounts listed in the PreSet Values Screen under “Jump”. Summary Pages These numbers are current totals and include totals from the beginning of the election cycle. If these figures require an adjustment, they can be manually edited in the PreSet Values screen.
View/Edit Click within the cell to change any information previously entered. If you wish to delete an entry click the arrow on the left side of the line to highlight the line then press “Control” and “Delete” at the same time. Confirm “Yes” or “No”.
Data Management Click the “View/Edit” tab, then click “Filter/Sort”. Once you have decided how you want the records sorted click “OK”. This is a useful tool if your receipts, expenditures, or ending balances conflict. You can filter and sort information by name, date transacted, or by the date the information was entered.
PREPARING YOUR REPORT Click on “Prepare Report” tab in the program menu, then click “Prepare Electronic File”. Click the selection button for “Regular Filing” or “Amended Filing” as appropriate. Be sure to include the amended report number. Click the “…” box at the end of the “File Name” field.
12. Filing Preparation- Click on the “…” box at the end of the “File Name” field.
Press “Backspace” to delete the default “File Name” entry. Save your entry as “(CommitteeID)_(Month,Day,Year of Due Date)” and click “Save”. Example- CC012345_07162007 Clicking save will bring you back to the Filing Preparation window.
If you are CLOSING your committee If this is a Final Report, check the “Final Report” box. You must have no outstanding debts including penalties owed for late or unfiled reports. You must have a zero balance. Click “Create File” and you will get this message: Click OK .
Uploading Your Reports
Click on this Link http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/dotnet/vafiling/Loadfile.aspx This will bring you to the Login Page
The “Login” screen should look like this: Step 1: Key in your Committee Code and Security Code and Click “Login”
Step 2. Click “Browse”
Once you click browse, you will see the “Choose File” window.
3. Select “Local Disk C:” from the drop down menu
4. Double Click “Program Files” from the resulting list below the the pull down menu.
5. Once you have selected “Program Files”, select “vafiling” from the resulting list below the drop down menu. Click once on your report (.txt file) to be uploaded, then click “Upload File”.
6. You will see this screen and the file you created will be at the end of the path name
7. Enter your e-mail address. 8. Click “SUBMIT ”
9. If you have successfully uploaded your report you should see this screen. It is recommended that you print your receipt for your records. Click “Load Another Report” if necessary.
10. Your emailed receipt will look like this. Please keep the receipt for your records.