Gamification in Training
By: Sharon Spencer, Alice Yang, Lillian Arredondo
● What is gamification and why it important for training?
● How is gamification being used in training and who is
● What should we expect to see in the future?
...the integration of game mechanics into non-game
environment or context to increase audience engagement,
loyalty, and fun...
What is Gamification?
Why is Gamification Important to
● Millennials are entering the workforce.
● Social media makes gamification efficient
● Gamification of education
● Focus on what people need to
DO, not what they need to
● Design experience, not
● Immediate feedback cycle
● Engagement due to rewards and
Pros and Cons of Gamification
● May lack strategic connection
● May be more expensive
● May create tension if too
● Still not same as the actual work
Who Uses Gamification in Training
Cisco Systems - The Cisco Mind
Hilton Garden Inn - Ultimate Team
U.S. Department of Justice - Incident
Examples of Gamification
1. Exposition that defines a pretend situation
2. Sequence of goal-oriented activities
3. Surprising challenges as the sequence unfolds
4. Consequences at each turn
5. Rewards obtained through competence, intuition, persistence or luck
6. Competition for rewards
7. Punishment for failures
8. Rules that govern play
9. Limited duration of play
10. A conclusion that resolves the situation
10 Essential Pieces to
Points to Keep in Mind About
● Always make sure your training game fits the needs of your company
● Keep in mind who your audience is
○ Current and new employees
● Cost vs. Value
○ In the end, figure out your return on investment
● Make sure to include tech support
● Keep evaluating and updating
● By 2015, more than 50% of businesses that manage innovation processes
will use gamification
● The gamification market is predicted to grow to 2.6 Billion by 2016 !
● Gamification will not only be used for training but will also be used in every
aspect we can think of
- commerce,education,healthcare etc.
Gamification in the Future
● There will be a LOT of bad gamification
-It will be “exploitationware” to simply squeeze more out of the worker
● Gamification can take competitiveness to a whole new level between co-
● It is important to create the right environment for a game to succeed.
-You need to know the behavioral patterns and demographics of your
-Knowing the right type of rewards to use in the game
● In this day and age, technology is the motivating force that drives
● Gamification in the workplace is fun whilst the employee is learning and
● Gamification can instill company values and policies in the process
● It encourages behavior and has measurable feedback
● Gamification in training can save money and time for the company
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.