Following the University’s success as finalists for the University of the Year in the last Times Higher Education magazine Awards, its popularity has seen massive growth. It has received almost 17 percent more applicants applying this year than last which is more than 7 percent higher than the national average increase in the fight for student places across all UK universities. In addition, the University was recognised for its outstanding and world-leading research in the Government’s Research Assessment Exercise conducted every seven years to assess the quality of research in UK universities.
1. Open Day WelcomeRoss Renton, Head of Department (UKRA)<br />www.herts.ac.uk<br />
2. Thinking about going to University? <br />Which University?<br />Which Course?<br />
3. Do your homework<br />Research - course and institution<br />Prospectus and website<br />Reference sources: :<br />The “Times” Good University Guide 2009<br />Virgin Alternative Guide to British Universities 2008<br />“What Next after School?” (The Times)<br />The Guardian University Guide 2009<br />Careers staff, teachers, admissions tutors<br />Open Days<br />
4. The Independent - The Complete University Guide <br />“Hertfordshire makes a powerful showing – scoring highly in research and facilities to outperform institutions such as Aberdeen and Stirling”. .”<br />(2009)<br />
5. Guardian University Guide<br />“The purpose-built <br />De Havilland campus is barely five years old, which accounts for the excellent facilities for sport, 24/7 learning and stylish undergraduate accommodation. “<br />(2009)<br />
6. Year of Excellence<br />Applications increased by more than 17%<br />One of only 6 Universities short-listed for University of the Year 2008 (THES)<br />Independent Newspaper describes us as “the leading post-1992 university”<br />In the top 500 universities - Shanghai Jiao Tong league table (~60,000 in total)<br />
7. Independent Information About UH<br /> www.unistats.com <br /> www.rae.ac.uk<br />
8. About UH<br />Highly respected - shortlisted for University of the Year<br />Teaching and Research<br />Excellent links with Business, the<br /> Professions and the Public Sector<br />High quality programmes, offering <br /> flexibility and choice<br />First Class learning and living environment<br />
9. About UH<br />Campuses<br />The College Lane Campus<br />The de Havilland Campus<br />The St Albans Campus<br />Local and international partner colleges<br />Placements with employers, national and international<br />
10. UH Core Values<br />Student-centred, our students are at the heart of UH<br />Diverse staff and student<br />Inclusive and caring <br />Ambitious for your future<br />
11. UH Learning<br />High quality and up to date programmes<br />High calibre teachers and support staff<br />Learning resources second<br /> to none<br />
12. UH Research<br />The University of Hertfordshire rose 35 places in the Times Higher Education Table of Excellence<br />85% of the University’s submitted research was judged of international standard in terms of originality, significance and rigour<br />
13. UH Investing in Students<br />Continuous investment<br />21st century facilities<br />New law building planned<br />Sports and leisure <br />Commuting services<br />
14. The Forum<br />New for 2009<br />Includes: A live venue, three bars, a club, restaurant, shop and nursery<br />Tours leave from the café below the main reception on the College Lane Campus throughout the day.<br />
15. Student Forum 2009<br /> The Forum Development<br />
18. <ul><li> A unique personal development programme: preparing you for better academic results, less stress and success with life after graduation.
19. There are 3 online modules that can be completed at anytime during your time at Hertfordshire.
20. Completion of each module leads to a University Certificate, over and above your degree course that lets employers know you’re the one to recruit!</li></ul>‘I feel I have developed further in terms of confidence and my approach to life has changed dramatically. ‘ UH Student 08/09<br />
21. UH is Business-Facing <br />Leading ‘business-facing’ University in UK<br />Close links with employers with professional/statutory body accreditation<br />Skills in the curriculum<br />Entrepreneurship<br />Placements and work-based learning<br />
22. Graduate Futures<br />Employability Skills<br />Match skills with employer needs<br />Teach ‘career skills’<br />Help find first employment<br />Support in first job - Alumni<br />
23. Achievements<br />90 per cent of our students secure full-time employment shortly after graduation<br />Over 160,000 alumni<br />The largest number of externally funded scholarships of any UK University<br />Nominated for THES ‘Entrepreneurial University of the Year’ award 2009<br />
29. Thank You Ross Renton, Head of Department (UKRA) <br />www.herts.ac.uk<br />