Lead the Way
Community Leadership & Major
Individual Giving Campaigns
1. United Way York Region
2. Community Leadership & Major Individual Giving
3. Key Statistics
4. Community Leadership Campaigns
5. The Robert Kidd 2012 Community Leadership
6. Why Leaders Give
• UWYR is the 11th largest out of 112 United Ways in Canada
• Independent Board of Directors
• Leadership & Major Individual Giving Cabinet is a sub committee of the
Campaign Cabinet, one of four standing Board committees
• Driven by strategic directions 2010-2013:
• 7% annual increase in campaign, with focus on Leadership and
• Leadership & Major Individual Gifts represent no less than 25% of
total achievement by 2013 with no less than 20% annual increase in
donations from leaders and major donors
• Addressing community priorities:
Helping people move from poverty to possibility
Helping kids be all they can be
Building healthy people and strong communities
Our emerging reality
• York Region’s low income population is growing 2.5X faster then our
• In a recent Nielsen survey of York Region
residents, employment, affordable housing and poverty were
identified as the most critical social issues - and top investment
priorities for United Way.
• In 2009/2010, United Way funded programs experienced a 40%
increase in the number of net new individuals knocking on their door
for help – the majority, individuals and families struggling with recent
job loss and transition.
What is Community Leadership Giving?
• Individual annual donations of $1,000 or more to United Way York
Region Community Fund are considered Community Leadership
• Community Leadership is a key driver of United Way’s success and
• These donations do not only come from senior management, but
individuals at all levels of an organization
• A small number of Community Leadership donors typically represent a
very large percentage of an employee pledge campaign
• Community Leadership donors receive targeted touch points and a
higher level of interaction with UWYR
What is Major Individual Giving?
• Individual annual donations of $5,000 or more to United Way York
Region Community Fund are considered Major Individual Gifts
• Providing a Major Gift represents a very high level of commitment to
United Way. Major Individual Gift donors receive the highest level of
interaction with UWYR, including communication with UWYR’s
Leadership & Major Individual Giving Cabinet and Officer.
Sources of Revenue, 2011
Workplace campaigns are the key drivers of success with a much higher return
on investment than other fundraising methods.
Workplace Campaign Growth – by Revenue Stream
Corporate donations dropped by $207k (vs. growth of $246k in 2010), accounting
for the workplace losses – other rates of growth remained steady.
as a % of
2011 755 $1,260,175 $8,180,000 15%
2010 732 $1,204,727 $8,100,000 15%
2009 630 $1,038,788 $7,667,050 14%
*NOTE: This also includes non-workplace/community donors
and donors designated in from other UW’s
Employee Donations are critical to workplace campaign success. Corporate
donations may not be sustainable and special events are very resource intensive.
Workplace Campaign Revenue Breakdown, 2011
Leadership and Major Donors ($1,000+)
Leadership Giving continued to experience growth. MIG remained flat.
Major Individual Giving
What is a Community Leadership Campaign?
A Community Leadership Campaign is a series of activities that
run parallel to the overall campaign, specifically targeted at
increasing the number of donors giving at the Community
Leadership Level, and retaining and growing the donations of
existing Community Leaders. It should follow the same steps as
the overall employee campaign:
• Educate and Inform
Please refer to the Leadership Chair Checklist for additional
• Senior Management Support: Showing visible support of United Way
and Community Leadership Giving conveys a clear message to everyone
at the organization of the importance of the campaign and becoming a
• Community Leadership Canvassing: The Leadership Chair and
Leadership Canvassers should approach each potential Community
Leader to provide information, ask them to consider a Community
Leadership donation and follow up on the pledge form.
• Broad Leadership Ask: Given that anyone has the potential to become a
Community Leader, the Community Leadership ask should be made to all
employees, ideally at the campaign kick-off. The ask can be centered
around raising awareness about this level of giving, and encouraging folks
to consider become a Community Leader.
• Pre-Leadership Strategy: Your new Community Leaders are most likely to
come from the $500 - $999 donation group. A strategy should be set in
place to assist with moving these individuals to the Community Leadership
• Timing of a Community Leadership Campaign: Ideally, the Community
Leadership Campaign should take place before the overall campaign – when
the campaign starts, you will have a strong initial boost of pledges and
create momentum for the campaign.
• Encourage Community Leaders to attend UWYR events:
* Annual General Meeting * Toromont CAT Dragon Boat Kick-off
* WomenUnited Annual Luncheon * Women’s Leadership Council
* Agency Tours * Celebration Dinner
• Encourage Community Leaders to volunteer with UWYR:
* Day of Caring® * Board of Directors/Committees
* Community Review Panel * Community Leadership Resources
What is a Major Individual Giving
Once Community Leadership giving matures, you can
supplement the campaign with a MIG
campaign, specifically focused on donations of $5,000 or
more. All practices used for Community Leadership are
applied to the MIG campaign. A MIG Chair is assigned to
manage this campaign.
The Robert Kidd 2012
This year, United Way York Region is excited to offer donors of $1,000 or
more the chance to increase the impact of their donations through The
Robert Kidd Community Leadership Challenge.
New Community Leadership Donors
By becoming a new Community Leadership donor, you double the
impact of your gift.
• Each first-time donation of $1,000 or more to United Way will be matched
dollar-for-dollar thanks to The Robert Kidd Community Leadership
• Increase your gift to $1,000 or more this year and The Robert Kidd
Community Leadership Challenge will match your $1,000 donation
Renewing Community Leadership Donors
• If you are already a Community Leader and you increase your gift by 10%
or more this year, The Robert Kidd Community Leadership Challenge
will match the increase.
Why Community Leaders Give
Voting member at the UWYR Annual General Meeting
Recognition in United Way York Region materials
Invitation to the WomenUnited Annual Luncheon
Invitation to join the Women’s Leadership Council (min.
$2,500 giving level)
Charitable Donations Make Good Financial Sense
Charitable donation tax receipts will reduce your federal and provincial
income tax. For example:
Actual Cost to
Actual Cost per
$1,000 $361 $639 36% $12.28
$1,500 $562 $938 37% $18.04
$2,000 $763 $1,237 38% $23.79
$5,000 $1,968 $3,032 39% $58.31
$7,500 $2,972 $4,528 40% $87.08
$10,000 $3,976 $6,024 40% $115.85
$25,000 $10,000 $15,000 40% $288.47
A Community Leadership donation works out to $639 after tax
benefits are factored in – that’s about $1.75 a day!
Impact of Donations
$1,000 provides 1 year of social support for 20 isolated seniors to
reduce loneliness and help keep them living at home safely.
$1,600 provides 1 year of literacy training for 2 young adults with
intellectual disabilities, helping them earn their high school diploma
$2,100 provides 10 weeks of counselling for 6 children who have
been sexually abused - the first step to rebuilding their self esteem
and managing anxiety.
$3,300 provides 6 weeks of safe shelter to an abused mom and her
children, giving them a chance to find new housing and hope.
$5,000 provides 6 weeks of food, shelter, employment and life skills
coaching for a homeless family of four, helping them achievement
independent and stability.
Levels of Giving
United Way York Region is truly grateful for the generous
support of all donors. Leaders represent a dynamic group
of individuals who advocate our work and lead the way to
create opportunities for a better life for everyone.
• Community Leaders ($1,000 - $1,499)
• Sponsors ($1,500 - $1,999)
• Patrons ($2,000 - $4,999)
• Builders ($5,000 - $7,499)
• Pathfinders ($7,500 - $9,999)
• Benefactors ($10,000 - $24,999)
• Trailblazers ($25,000+)
• Community Leadership and Major Individual Giving is critical
for United Way York Region’s campaign, and can be a large
driver of growth in your own campaign
• There are many strategies that can help to boost a
Community Leadership Campaign
• Potential Community Leaders may have many motivations
that influence their decision to give, and there are just as
many reasons to give to United Way
• Employee Campaign Chairs:
• If a Leadership Chair has not been assigned through United Way’s
corporate visit process take the opportunity to speak with your senior
management team about assigning a senior individual to act as the
• Ensure Leadership giving is a standing item on your campaign
• Work with your Leadership Chair to integrate the Community
Leadership Campaign activities into the employee campaign
• Leadership Chairs:
• Contact your United Way staff partner for support with setting up your
Community Leadership Campaign
• Begin planning your Community Leadership Campaign
• Determine who your Community Leadership Giving prospects are
($500+ donors, individuals in management)
• Recruit Leadership Canvassers.
• Confirm your Leadership presentation date and book your Corporate
Leadership & Major Gifts Officer
905-474-9974 x 240