An IntroductionUnited Distributors Nepal (P) Ltd. often abbreviated as UDN is a well known pioneer in importing,distributing & promoting international trade in the country. The company was established in early2000 and has been dealing with Top Global Companies such as Procter & Gamble (P&G),GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd. (GSK), Mars, Ferrero, Orion etc. The various brands ofall these companies are distributed and supplied all across Nepal through a comprehensivenetwork of branches,distributors and dealers so as to reach every possible consumer segment.UDN has been there successfully in this business for a long time now. It directly employs about300 people and also has many indirect employees. Its gross annual Turnover is about $35 million.The company has been awarded as the Best Tax Payer, 2010-11 by the Prime Minister and it is amajor contributor to the exchequer.
The brands we distributeProcter & Gamble (P&G)The company has been associated with world’s leading FMCG P&G since its establishment.UDN is the sole distributor of its entire brands all over Nepal. We distribute the followingbrands of P&G :- Category Brand Name/s Hair Care Pantene, H&S, Rejoice Skin Care Olay, Camay Fabric Care Ariel, Tide Oral Care Oral B Batteries Duracell Snacks Pringles Men’s Personal Care Gillette Feminine Care Whisper Baby Care Pampers Health Care VicksGlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd. (GSK)The company has been associated with GSK since year 2010-11. UDN is the major distributorfor most of the brands of GSK in Nepal. We distribute the following brands of GSK:- Category Brand Name/s Horlicks, Junior Horlicks, Women Horlicks, Nutritional Horlicks Lite, Horlicks Biscuits, Viva, Boost OTC Eno
The brands we distributeMarsThe company has been associated with Mars since 2006. UDN is the sole distributor for most of thebrands in the country. We distribute the following brands of Mars. Category Brand Name/s Chocolates Mars, Snickers, Galaxy, Twix, Milky Way Pet Care PedigreeOrionThe company has been associated with Orion since 2012 UDN is the sole distributor of OrionChoco Pie all over Nepal.FerreroThe company has been associated with Ferrero since 2010 UDN is the sole distributor of FerreroChocolates all over Nepal.
The Promotional ActivitiesUDN also works closely with the parent companies like P&G and Mars in designing localizedpromotional activities to ensure the growth of the brand reflecting a positive return in the sales.Localized Marketing & Sales Initiatives of UDNUnited Distributors Nepal with its unparalleled Marketing team & Sales force has been able tojustify the excellence of the brands. UDN is effectively promoting the brands in local market inalignment with the company’s policies and target group.Few of the promotional activities undertaken by UDN are as follows:9.Pantene Pro V – Launch of the Campaign “ 14 days Challenge” In March 2011, “The Pantene 14 days Challenge” campaign was launched in the Nepalimarket. It boosted the product’s claim of reducing split ends by 10 times within 14 days. Manyprint ads were released in selected dailies and magazines. The campaign was complemented byextensive outdoor branding which included branding the most happening place in the country’scapital – City Centre, the mall with the highest footfall. Apart from this many other Modern Retailoutlets were also branded which proved to be highly beneficial to the Product’s Brand Visibility.
Outdoor SupportPantene Pro V – Mall Branding at City CentreCity Centre, located at the heart of the city, isconsidered as the mall with the highest number ofwalk ins. Apart from its number of footfall, thereason to prefer City Centre is the kind of TG thebrand intends.This exclusive branding for Pantene became theTalk of the Town.
• Head & Shoulders – Launch of the campaign “Removes dandruff from first wash.” The campaign “Removes dandruff from first wash” was widely advertised through huge Bill boards at 8 prime locations. Along with this, there were also Shop Frontage brandings at the Points of purchase to further boost the brand visibility and strengthen the product’s claim in the consumer’s mind. Keeping the essentially urban TG in mind, all of these advertisements were done in and around Kathmandu.
3. Pampers Activation : Launching the New PackagingThe baby care brand of Pampers was given a new look to boost its Sales output and market share.To promote the new pack “Pampers Swing Activation” were done at strategically selected ModernRetail outlets. It included interactive elements like swings to make the baby feel at home. Baby stepstickers were stuck on the floor of the outlet, leading to the primary shelf of Pampers. All theprimary shelves in major outlets were branded with the new look of Pampers. Various POS materiallike posters, danglers, streamers, wobblers and informative booklets were printed and distributedacross Nepal.
4. Gillette Activation : Introducing new price of MACH 3The “Mach 3” brand of Gillette was given a new look and its new reduced price was heavilyadvertised through an unique activation and various POP materials like posters, streamers anddanglers. The branding materials communicated the newly reduced price of Mach 3 razors andtried to change the consumer perception of the brand as it was quite expensive earlier. Theactivation involved directly experiencing the Gillette Shave as the consumer sat down to acomfortable shave while an attendant shaved him with Gillette products. This activation took placein 6 places which received higher footfalls of the brand respective Target Audience.
5. PROJECT Nepal 1000A grand project to do the frontage branding covering 1000 retail outlets with P&G’s major brands –Pantene, Head & Shoulders, Olay and Whisper. It was started in December, 2011 and was anoverwhelming success by proving its worth in boosting Brand Visibility for P&G. It was done intowns like Kathmandu, Patan, Bhaktapur, Banepa, Kirtipur, Dharan, Biratnagar, Itahari, Pokharaand Narayanghat.
6. Branding at the Modern TradeModern Trade Outlets are booming all over the country. By contractually renting the mostprominent shelves of the major Departmental stores and shopping marts, we are placing ourproducts in such a way that we always have an advantage over our competitive brands and alwayskeep our brands easily viable and visible to the end customer.
7. Product Sampling of Galaxy ChocolatesThe taste of a quality chocolate is something which cannot be communicated in words. Likewise,UDN launched the Galaxy Brand of chocolates with sampling activities at spots which receivedhigher footfall of the fairer sex. Specially targeted towards women of the age 30 and above thisbrand of chocolates promised to be as smooth as silk and give one a melt in your mouthexperience. The claims were proven and the brand’s success story started.