Instagram CANNOT sell your photos. At one point, they tried to introduce terms of service, but that is long in the past and they will not user your likeness with any paid or sponsored content. (Whew!)Instagram gets over 8,500 likes every second and has 100 million active users every month. You can use Instagram even if you don’t sell visual products. A great way to do this is by posting “behind the scenes,” photos. It gives consumers a personal glimpse of what it is like to work for your company. When you set up your Instagram, be sure to stick with a name you already use. For example, The Net Impact needs to stay as @thenetimpact. It would make it harder to find if we changed our name to @thebestwebdesigncompanyever. (Even though it would be awesome)The most important thing to remember is that your photos need to have a clear purpose. Sean suggested putting them in a category, such as funny, beautiful, or inspiring.
Blend-Tec used to grind up wooden boards to test product toughness. One day, the good people at BlendTec had a fantastic idea to start blend tough things in their blender. Here is their first video of them Blending marbles. Their first video got over 6 million views and they began to see what else they could blend. They took suggestions and eventually ended up blending anything from iPhones to McDonalds Hamburgers.
1. About the SpeakerSteve ThomasPresident, The Net ImpactVice President, UnidevPresident, American Marketing Association-St.LouisPresident, Missouri Venture ForumWith over 18 years of internet strategyexperience, Steve is a nationally recognizedspeaker, author, and entrepreneur.Contact me:Twitter: @TNIMANLinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/stevenrthomas
2. The state of marketing in 2013“We have embarked on the world’slargest and longest cocktailparty, and every issue imaginable is upfor grabs.”--Geoffrey Moore, Mohr Davidow VenturesImage courtesy of Venture Beat
3. The state of marketing in 2013
4. What we are going to talk about1. Marketing plans in a crazy social world2. Making the most of marketing on a budget3. Mobile marketing update4. Using video to drive your business
5. Courtesy of Hubspot
6. SEO is still job oneSEO (Search Engine Optimization) is theprocess of affecting the visibility of a website ina search engine’s natural and unpaid searchresults.The higher ranked and more frequently your siteappear in search results, the more visitors youhave.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_engine_optimization
7. SEO is still job one
8. What Google suggests
9. What Google suggests
10. Local is important• 84% of all users perform local searches (Kelsey Group)• 61% of all local searches result in purchases (comScore)• 57% of online shoppers say they shop online but plan tomake purchases offline (NDP Group)• 82% of local searchers follow up offline with an in-storevisit, phone call or purchase (comScore)
11. Social media has changed SEOSEOtoday means social media. Why?• Helps search indexation– Tweeting cuts index time by 50%• Social activity improves keyword ranking– Creates inbound links– Shares help with freshness• Author authority (rel=”author”) ties authorityto your content• Allows best use of images and videosBeing Your Brand March 3, 2013http://beingyourbrand.com/2013/03/03/how-social-media-impacts-seo-infographic/
12. YES! Why?• Off-site content is as important as on-site• Images have a new LIFE• Popularity matters, which means…..• Great content really really matters• People want to know you which means…• Other voices cry to be heard– Yours, your customers, your teamShould social change your plan
13. The cost of marketingYour call!
14. Why use social media• SM use has grown 712% in the past 7 years.• Over 155 Million Facebook users• 90% of people trust recommendations frompeople they know
24. Should I plan for mobile•Before 2015, it’s projected that mobile internet usage will overtakethe desktop.•Mobile traffic has climbed to more than 16% of overall web traffic.•70% of all mobile searches result in action within 1 hour.•There are 6.8 billion people on the planet. 5.1 billion of them now owna cell phone.
25. Optimizing for mobile
26. Optimizing for mobileTablets are Catalyzing Brand Website Engagement• The share of website visits from tablets grew approximately 10 times faster thanthe rate of smartphones within two years of market introduction• Tablet usage grew more than 300% in the last year• Tablets’ share of website traffic will exceed smartphone traffic by early 2013and reach 10% of total website traffic in early 2014• Near-term developments in the tablet market will erode the advantages of PC-browsing, causing consumers to shift more website visits from PCs to tabletsAdobe Digital Index March 2013http://success.adobe.com/assets/en/downloads/whitepaper/13926.tablets-brand-engagement-v5.pdf“One tablet generates as many website visits as four smartphones”
27. Why use videohttp://capitalpartners.filmannex.com/blog/
28. Creating video content• Over 800 million unique users visitYoutube each month.• In 2011, Youtube had more than 1 trillionviews or 140 views for every person on theEarth• 72 hours of video are uploaded toYouTube every minute.
29. Post free contentWhat you have to say is important to someone!Searching“Hardwood FloorRepair” yields5,130 results
30. Viral Videos: A Marketer’sDreamBlend-tec “Will it Blend?”
31. What went in to “Will ItBlend”Start with $100 in suppliesAdd an in-house videoFlavor with some clever marketing• Increased retail of 700%• 200,000 +subscribers on YouTube• 10 television appearances
32. Optimizing your videos for searchengines.YourVideoWebsitePartnerBlogs
33. Optimizing YoutubeYoutube Video optimization primer• First: know what keywords you want to use• Then write your caption using keywords• Upload transcript in WordPad text format• Write your title using keywords again• Use the title in your description and follow withURL, include a longer description with a call toaction• Tags Think in terms of 3 to 4 primary keywords• Finally select your category• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYrSjSLzho0
34. Measure your resultsTrack your results through Google Analytics.
35. Top digital marketing thoughts for 2013Content iseven morethe kingTest newplatformsContentneedsdistributionEngage in one-on-onex 1Million
36. Thank You!Follow The Net Impact:Facebook: www.facebook.comTheNetImpactTwitter: @thenetimpactLinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/company/the-net-impactDownload this presentation:http://www.slideshare.net/TheNetImpact