Presented by: Hena Prasun, Life Skills Teacher
A,B,Cs of Life Skills
Life skills are behaviours used appropriately and
responsibly in the management of personal
affairs. They are a set of human skills acquired
via teaching or direct experience that are used
to handle problems and questions commonly
encountered in daily human life. The subject
varies greatly depending on societal norms and
The world is your mirror
and your mind is a magnet.
• Life will give you what you
attract with your thoughts.
• Think, act and talk negatively
and your world will be negative.
• Think, act and talk with
enthusiasm and you will
attract positive results.
• To be positive is natural.
• Happiness is a state of mind. Be
• If you think you are in heaven,
• Use bright & positive language in
everything you do.
• Think positive. It is good for you.
• Expect the best. You will get it.
“Not doing good is evil.”
• Even if you cannot do good, refrain
from evil at least– is it enough? The
answer is, No.
• Not doing good results in evil.
• Try to help in every little way,
whenever & wherever it is possible.
• Every time something good happens
to you, make sure something good
happens to someone else.
• Free your mind from prejudices.
• Have an open mind. “Emptied, you
• Be receptive to ideas.
• Be quick to listen. Be slow to
• Perceptions differ. What is right in
your view may not be that.
• Don‟t jump to conclusions. See the
other person‟s point of view.
Be balanced!• Have a sound sense of
• See the things as they are. See
the big as big and the petty as
• Wisdom is knowing what to
• Seeing negative is not being
• Those who see the negative
are as important as those who
see the positive. (Plane &
Think right towards people.
• Have a positive attitude towards
people. Find qualities in them to like.
• Everyone’s, just everyone’s, life is
littered with compromises, morally
questionable decisions & inconsistent
behaviour. Keep this in mind.
• People can only be as perfect as
you are. Accept differences &
• Judge them less harshly. Don’t be
hostile when they slip up in tiny ways.
“Rudeness is a weak person’s attempt
• Be considerate, friendly &
• Practise courtesy. Say - please.
• Tell the truth by all means, but
with tact & kindness.
• Explain. Do it patiently.
• Accommodate the other
• Allow criticism. It is often
• Know what to be angry about.
• One cannot be neutral between
the right and the wrong. One so
neutral is on the side of injustice.
• Evil multiplies when good people
don‟t champion what is right.
• “Injustice anywhere is a threat to
• Not to be angry at injustice is to
Learn the correct way to get angry
But, manage that anger.
• Attack the thing rather than the
• If you must say unpleasant things,
say them in a pleasant way.
• Sugar-coat your criticisms.
• It is easy to say a few mean words in
the heat of the moment. Refrain.
• Don‟t drag out issues from the past.
• Don‟t make any personality digs or
• Avoid being embroiled in a
“ You can be young just once.
But you can be immature anytime! ”
• Resist the temptation to be
• Be a grown up. Be mature.
• Be liberal in outlook & considerate
• Be understanding & forgiving.
Refrain from mischief.
• “An eye for an eye will leave the
whole world blind.”
• „Inna seitharai oruthal ….‟ Do
good to the person who has done
you wrong. Let this be his
But retain the child in you.
• Dream (but be wakeful). What is
life without impossible dreams?
• Be lively, not half-dead. Be alive to
• View the world in wonderment. Be
• Be playful. Import fun into all things
(“We don‟t stop playing because
we grow old; we grow old
because we stop playing.” – G B
• Discover the joy in simple things &
deeds. Relish them.
Is there anything impossible?
• It‟s all in your mind. Believe
you can, you will.
• If you use the right
instruments and choose the
right time, that is.
• Progress has always come
from those who said it could
Have a winning attitude.
• „I‟ll come up with
• „We have the opportunity
to be the first.‟
• „There‟s room for
• „We shall learn
• „Let‟s try it a few more
• Let no horizon be too
large for you to gaze at.
• “In the long run you hit
only what you aim at.”
• “It is not failure but low
aim which is crime.”
No one can cheat you
out of ultimate success but you.
• Life is full of beginnings.
• Have belief in yourself. Never sell
• Invest in yourself. Grow. Keep
• There is always some good in every
situation. Look out.
• Sharpen your awareness to the
opportunities that lie around.you try
The secret to success is never to give up.
• Failures are but stepping stones to success.
• There are no mistakes in life, only lessons.
• Every failure is a lesson in learning.
• There is no failure except in no longer trying.
• Failing is not bad. Staying down is.
• No failure is final.
“Failure is a noun. The only fear it holds for us
is in the meaning we give it. Define failure as
giving up. Take control of it. ”
- David Taylor
One who feels bound remains bound.
Only those who dare reach
Opportunity exists only
when you can see it.
Opportunity is no accident.
It must be attracted.
Opportunity of a lifetime
should be seized within the
lifetime of the opportunity.
Don’t be weighed down by knowledge!
• You are what you know.
• Knowledge is power. But, left
unused, it has no power in it.
• Little is ever achieved by
persons who are bookish.
Indifference and unconcern
make a superior &
“One is never too old to learn
• To read is to grow.
• To read is also to lead.
• Learn something every day.
• Listen. Discussions make you
• Grow every day. Overtake yourself.
• Practice Kaizen. Make incremental
improvements, every day.
Practice Makes a Man Perfect
• Aim at perfection. Achieve
• Develop an instinct for
quality. It pays.
• If it is worth doing, it is worth
• Try to do it right at the very
first instance. A work done
poorly must be done again.
Belief & Behaviour
• Accept your limitations.
• But be aware of your qualities &
• Change your beliefs, and you
change your behaviour.
• Change your behaviour, and you
change your results, and your life
• Self-limiting beliefs are learnt
behaviours. Anything that is learnt
can be unlearnt as well.
• List all negative beliefs. Replace
them with the positive.
Annihilate these assumptions:
• Inefficiency is normal.
• Delays are inbuilt & cannot be
• Performance will not be
• Only manipulators will get
• We are made this way & things
just won’t improve.
• Things will get only worse.
• Nothing can be done.
Don’t give in.
• Tough times don’t last. What comes
after them is bound to be good.
• “The harder you fall, the higher you
bounce.” – American proverb
• Learn to make the best of a
situation. Optimism is a duty cast
• Have hope. Things may change in a
day, and for the better.
“No pressure, no diamonds.”
“Experience is what you get when you don‟t
get what you want.”- Dan Stanford
• Dare! Innovate!
• Don‟t be risk-averse. Only those
who dare reach new heights.
• Dare to be different. Discovery
• Challenge the givens & the „un-
• Be ready: planned destruction
may be necessary before
• Never mind that you didn‟t
“May you not enjoy the work you do!”
The worst possible
curse. That one is, in
Learn to like and enjoy
Any work, just any work,
can be made
There is always a better
way of doing things.
Do your work creatively.
Import fun into it.
Every problem has a lifespan..
Know the stage at which it is .
Recognize the minor hassles from the major
ones. Know what to worry about & what to take
Take one step at a time. Deal with them in
No knee-jerk reactions. No short-term patches.
The real obstacles are not the pbms
themselves, but the wrong approaches to
finding the solutions.
Think solution, not problem.
See a solution, where others see a
pbm. There is a solution to every
Try to solve, not prolong.
Ascertain the facts.
Have an uncluttered mind. Cut out
the extraneous. Identify the core.
Face the issue head on. Take it on
without breaking step.
While with major pbm, stay
Intractable? Sleep over it . Let it
Don’t be in self-doubt.
• Feel & act confident. Stand by
• Be positively assertive, when
you are in the right.
• Where speech is due, silence
may be betrayal.
• Insist on your right to be
heard & reckoned.
• “Don’t say ‘yes’ when you
want to say ‘no’ .
Think on your feet
• Thinking first, action only
• Act by all means, but only
after considering all
• Don‟t make decisions
based on just one or two
• Don‟t act impulsively.
• If you have to act, act fast
Integrity signifies wholeness
„Integrity‟ means absence of
It gives extra energy & clarity of
It means –
living up to the best in oneself.
having a developed sense of honour.
having a conscience & listening to it.
having the courage of one’s
obedience to the unenforceable.
“If one desires a change, one must be that
change before it can take place.”
• Anticipate change. Things can change
in a day.
• Be alert to the first signs of change.
• Feel obligated to effect the change.
• Look at opportunities that change
• Keep renewing yourself. Don’t allow
routines to become chains.
• Keep managing the present while
managing the change.
Be physical. Be dynamic.
• Take care of the body. It takes
care of the mind.
• Physical well-being gives you
stamina, both physical &
• It makes you focussed.
• It makes you optimistic &
confident to face the challenges
Learn from the past. Focus on the future.
Be in the present. Enjoy.
• The past is finished. Learn from it &
let it go.
• The future is not even here yet. Plan
for it, but do not waste time
worrying about it.
• Live in the present. Enjoy its joys.
Relish the journey!
• There is more to life than running non-stop.
• Happiness is all along, not merely at the destination.
The joys along the route are perhaps more
• If you are enjoying the journey, you are not upset by
a delayed arrival.
• Count your blessings. One rarely appreciates one‟s
blessings as much as when they are gone.
“We don’t laugh because we are happy.
We are happy because we laugh.” (William
• Control your emotions by your actions.
• Be cheerful, in order to feel cheerful.
• Act brave, in order to be brave.
• Want a facelift? Smile. It’s the duty you owe others.
• Strenuous application of
effort anywhere - even on
hobbies or games - provides
the bonus of energy.
• Make as many of your
actions automatic as
possible. The more actions
we make automatic, the
more energy we have left for
creative work & pbm-
WJ, again: • Constantly redesign your habits.
Switch hobbies & interests.
• You habitually use only a small part
of the powers you actually possess.
• Push back your fatigue point. It is far
below the stage of real exhaustion.
• Continue working on thro’ deep
fatigue, you get ‘2nd, 3rd, even 4th
winds’, the bursts of new energy.
Thus, you don’t need to warm up
again & again.
Pleasantness is the duty
we owe others.
• Never allow things to
• Practise liking people.
• Never miss the
or express sorrow.
• Be a comfortable person
to be with.
Be a big boss without seeming to be so.
• Be affable. Be light to lift.
• Develop zero tolerance of
inertia, indifference &
• Motivate, guide, enable, lead.
• Don‟t appropriate credit. But,
• Settling personal scores
through official means is
• „Walk a mile in others‟ shoes
before you say „no‟ to their
request for new shoes.‟
• Absent order & regulation,
what remains is chaos.
Chaos is the enemy of
• Enforce order to ensure
• Enforcement is education.
• Organise. Set the right thing
(or person) in the right place.
• Put in place proper systems.
• What gets measured gets
As the leader, challenge the status quo!
Motivate. Create enthusiasm &
Plant seeds of thinking. Let
people think in a breakthrough
Institutionalize imbibing ideas
Acknowledge & reward good
Honour errors resulting out of
Create a dream & make the
team go towards it.
“I receive & I must give back.”
And this is the pay back time.
• Life is not about how much you
make but how you live it.
• How you make a difference is what
• Each one of us is a debtor. We have
taken so much from the system.
• It is but fair that we pay back the
debt, with interest and do it fast.
• Perhaps it is already late. Better hurry
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.