Deans Executive Council Notes 2009


Published on

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total Views
On Slideshare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Deans Executive Council Notes 2009

  1. 1. College of Sciences (COS) Meeting of Dean’s Executive Council 20 January 2009Present:Dean - George PerryDepartment Chairs - Edwin Barea-Rodriguez, Alan Dutton, Waldek Gorski, Miguel Jose-Yacaman, Sandy Norman, Kleanthis PsarrisAssociate Deans - Raymond Baird, Neal Guentzel, Craig Jordan, George Negrete, EdwardTiekink, Andy TsinCenter/Institute/Program Directors - Aaron Cassill, Joe Lazor, Ravi SandhuAssistant Dean - Garry CastellanosCOS Undergraduate Advising Director - Patti GonzalezCOS Retention and Graduation Analyst - Diane ElizondoSummary NotesDoctoral FacultyStatus of department policies: Biology Dr. Barea-Rodriguez met with the Department Faculty Review Advisory Committee to discuss policy Chemistry Department has adopted a policy Computer Science Department has a policy Geological Sciences No action since last meeting Physics and Astronomy Department is working on a policyStudent Health Insurance/Grant Buyouts Dr. Tiekink stated that for the coming year student health insurance coverage provided to Ph.D.students would remain status quo. This means that Ph.D. students who are appointed in positionsat 20 hours (research assistants/teaching assistants) are entitled to receive the proportionateamount of premium assistance and access to the employee insurance options.Dr. Barea commented that the coverage would remain the same for the BIO Ph.D. students andthe department would cover the cost. He informed of the limitations in the ability to appointstudents in positions at 20 hours due to the department’s need to rely on a large number ofstudents to assist in the instructional delivery and student assistance efforts in his department.Dr. Norman indicated that fewer students are hired in the 20 hour per week positions to meetinstructional delivery and student assistance needs for mathematics.After a discussion, it was agreed that Garry will meet with Terry Wilson to discuss allowingacademic funds released back to the departments from grant buyouts to be allowed to rollforward at fiscal year end and accrue for future use by department chairs and/or individual
  2. 2. faculty who exercised the buyout. [Terry Wilson will be attending the February 16, 2009meeting of the Dean’s Executive Council.]Meeting with the Provost - Strategic PlanDr. Barea-Rodriguez and Dr. Yacaman indicated that they were working on scheduling ameeting with Dr. Frederick. After a discussion, Dr. Perry requested that Mary Alice contact theProvost’s office to see if he would be able to attend the meeting of the College Faculty Forum onFebruary 5, 2009. [Dr. Frederick will be out of town and unable to attend the meeting.Department chairs should follow up with meetings.]College Budget CommitteeDr. Perry informed the forum that the committee did not meet last year. A meeting of thecommittee will be scheduled.College Faculty ForumDr. Perry reported that the College Faculty Forum meeting is scheduled for 3:30 p.m., Thursday,February 5, 2009 in Room 2.110 BSE.Regents’ Outstanding Teaching AwardsA copy of the e-mail from the Office of the Vice Provost for Academic and Faculty Supportdated January 12, 2009 was provided. Dr. Baird reported that Vice Provost Johnsons office wasreviewing the nomination process. With the information we have at this time, the deadline fornominations to the Deans office is Friday, February 13. Documentation required fornominations is provided in the "Nomination contents" section in the letter sent from the UTSystem.Provost’s UTSA Core Values InitiativeAn informational page was provided on this topic. Proposals can be submitted to the Provost’soffice and the deadline is February 2, 2009. Dr. Frederick has indicated that he is available toattend department functions and talk about core values.Deadline for Annual Faculty Performance AppraisalsAfter a discussion, it was agreed that the deadline for completion of annual faculty performanceappraisal would be April 15. [Since the meeting, Dr. Baird sent e-mail to department chairsindicating a deadline date of April 1.]Staff appraisals are to be sent to Human Resources by Monday, March 2. 2
  3. 3. COS Outreach Efforts for Current and Prospective UndergraduatesPatti distributed and reviewed a faculty advising proposal for advising students with a GPA ofless than 1.0 and “Step Up” students (GPA 2.0-2.2). Group sessions are recommended forsophomore “Step Up” students. The <1.0 faculty advising will be discontinued. Instead, theundergraduate advisors of record (UGARs) will meet with Sophomore Step Up students (BIO ingroup sessions, all others one-on-one). Students will have two holds placed: SC (scienceadvising) until they meet with the UGAR and SG (science GPA until they meet with KathlynnWray, Step Up advisor).There was a discussion about students lacking awareness of the college experience. Dr. Barea-Rodriguez stated that he has given lectures to high school students so that students could hearwhat it is like to be in college. Because of time constraints he is limited to the number of schoolshe can visit. Dr. Baird suggested putting the lecture in a DVD format and make it available toschools.Several handouts on COS outreach efforts to current and future students were distributed. Dianespoke about the upcoming outreach efforts listed in the handout and stated she wants tocollaborate with the departments. She requested department chairs submit information abouttheir outreach efforts to Patti and her by January 30, 2009.Diane mentioned the new events listed in the handout: Admissions Reception, UGAR-COSUndergraduate Advising Center Meeting, UGAR Sessions and COS Monthly Sessions.Diane also mentioned having activities to provide students a richer experience. She suggestedsome kind of ceremony where we celebrate COS, perhaps a barbeque.Patti suggested forming a strategic planning committee. Names of individuals who could serveon a committee can be sent to Patti.Diane is scheduling meetings with departments to discuss graduation and retention rates. 3
  4. 4. College of Sciences (C0S) Meeting of Dean’s Executive Council 2 February 2009Present:Dean - George PerryDepartment Chairs - Alan Dutton, Waldek Gorski, Miguel Jose-Yacaman, Sandy Norman, KleanthisPsarrisAssociate Deans - Raymond Baird, Craig Jordan, George Negrete, Andy TsinCenter/Institute/Program Directors - Aaron Cassill, Weldon Hammond, Joe Lazor, Ravi SandhuAssistant Dean - Garry CastellanosCOS Undergraduate Advising Director - Patti GonzalezCOS Retention and Graduation Analyst - Diane ElizondoRepresentative for Dr. Barea-Rodriguez - Hans HeidnerGuest Speakers - Amanda Beck, Stuart Birnbaum, Richard Diem, Christi Fish, Barbara Millis, AntonioRiveraSummary NotesExpert Spokesperson GuideAmanda Beck, COS Communications Specialist, introduced Christi Fish, Public Affairs Specialist, fromthe University Communications office. Amanda explained that she is involved with internal media andChristi with external media. Christi is assigned to work with two colleges - Engineering and Sciences.One project Christi is involved with is the expert spokesperson guide. It is being revamped so mediacan contact university faculty experts. The guide is not up-to-date and only 35 faculty members arelisted. Amanda and Christi are meeting once a week to discuss college activities. Christi requestedadministrators contact her about any stories that can be developed involving faculty, students, alumniand staff.ExxonMobil Science and Engineering Fair and COS Governor’s Summer CampDr. Birnbaum emphasized that the College of Sciences plays a major role in the science fair. Dates ofthe fair are March 27-30, 2009. Judging will be on Sunday, March 29. He implored department chairsto notify faculty and to encourage them to participate in this event. Faculty and graduate students areneeded to serve on the Science Review Committee (SRC). This committee reviews documents aboutprojects that provide information on how regulations and safety guidelines were followed. During thedays of the fairs volunteers are also needed. Dr. Birnbaum will follow up with the departments.Last year, Governor Perry’s office provided additional funds for a residential summer camp. Theschedule for the camp was put together quickly and included a trip to ExxonMobil. The Governor wantsto expand the camp to increase the number of student participants. The Governor also wishes toacknowledge the teachers of the winning students in some manner. We are still working out the detailsbut anticipate having up to ten teachers on campus along with the students.
  5. 5. Dr. Birnbaum requested that department chairs help him by providing a list of topical ideas that wouldbe engaging and interesting for a three to four day program. He suggested a common theme: One dayof physics, one day of chemistry, and one day of computer science. We need to find someone todevelop curriculum and have faculty run it. Field trips will again be included in the camp. There will beno more than 40 students. The time frame for the camp is the third week in June. Dr. Birnbaumrequested input from department chairs by 4 February 2009.Curriculum DevelopmentDr. Perry welcomed Dr. Richard Diem, Dean, Honors College and Dr. Barbara Millis, Director of theTeaching, Excellence and Mentoring (TEAM) Center. Dr. David Jones, Associate Dean of Admissions,UTHSCSA, was unable to attend the meeting as he was called to serve on an NIH panel. As discussedon several occasions in meetings of the Dean’s Executive Council, UTSA students are not admitted tohealth professions programs in the numbers that might be expected. This issue was discussed withProvost Frederick and a committee was formed. Dr. Diem and Dr. Millis gave a briefing on a strategyimplemented in an attempt to rectify the situation. It proposed two solutions, both revolving around pre-health professions ( PHP) students’ perceived weaknesses in the areas of critical analysis and applicationof factual material on the MCAT and similar aptitude tests.The first element in the strategy is to address PHP students’ weaknesses in the areas of critical analysisand application. It was reported that relatively few of the PHP students take MCAT preparatory classes,frequently because of the high cost involved. An MCAT preparatory course was set up and offered atabout half the cost of commercially available preparatory courses ($800 vs. $1500+). It was noted that30% of the students who signed up did not finish the course. Dr. Diem indicated that students whocompleted the preparatory course did well on the MCAT test (but no comparative data were presentedgiving the performance of those who dropped out of the course or comparable PHP students who neversigned up for it).The second element in the strategy is to address PHP students’ weaknesses in the areas of criticalanalysis and application on the MCAT somewhat more indirectly. Specifically, the goal of this elementof the strategy is to incorporate more relevant skill training in courses which are required by PHPprograms. President Romo and Provost Frederick have provided funding to bring three recognized“experts” to UTSA over the next several months to conduct workshops which will assist faculty in theirefforts to re-design courses. Dr. Millis provided handouts with information on the dates of workshopsand other scheduled activities for the Provost’s initiative to promote critical thinking.In the discussion that followed, the point was made that success in teaching has not been a majorcriterion in faculty retention, promotion, or merit. Until/unless this attitude is changed, faculty willprobably not expend the effort necessary to change their instructional strategies because of the lowexpected payoff. Another concern is that the discrepancy between students’ high grades and lowerMCAT scores may impact accreditation. This discrepancy could reflect different emphases in content ofthe test and what is being taught in the classes.Provost Frederick has provided money for curriculum development which has to be spent by August.Drs. Diem and Millis are willing to attend department meetings. Dr. Diem should be contacted if thecollege or department wants to have a workshop about best practices in teaching, 2
  6. 6. Dean’s Graduate Fellowships and other Diversity Initiatives’ AnnouncementsA draft document on COS Dean’s Fellowships for South Texas for first-year doctoral students wasprovided by Dr. Negrete. Funds from the doctoral programs will be transferred to the Dean’s office forrecruiting students from South Texas. This has support from the Provost’s office. Departments willrecommend students from recruitment pools. Departments are expected to provide support to Dean’sFellows who are in good academic standing during subsequent academic years. Dr. Perry requested thatdepartment chairs review the document and provide comments to Dr. Negrete. Department chairsshould be thinking about who they want to nominate.Associate Dean for Graduate StudiesDr. Perry stated that Dr. Tiekink was on a leave of absence. He requested administrators to send himrecommendations of faculty members who could serve in this position.Provost’s Memorandum - Course PrerequisitesAfter a discussion of the Provosts memorandum sent on prerequisites, it was decided that thedepartment chairs would let Patti Gonzalez know by April 1 how they want to handle students whorequest to waive the 08-10 prerequisites due to an earlier catalog of graduation.Scholarships and Student GrievancesIn order to advertise the college scholarships Dr. Jordan asked faculty members for their assistance inpublishing a link on their WebCT/Blackboard courses. Dr. Jordan requested faculty members to givepermission to Tamara Popescu (COS WebCT Associate) to add a link to the College of SciencesScholarships on their online courses. Dr. Jordan requested and received permission from theDepartments of Chemistry and Physics and Astronomy to add the link to all online courses from theirdepartments.Dr. Jordan mentioned student grievances and asked administrators about including a section about theprocess for filing a student grievance in a syllabus. There have been a few grievances and some studentsdo not follow the process. Dr. Tsin suggested improving links so students can find information. Dr.Baird commented that he was not sure that adding a grievance procedure to a syllabus would save timeand might generate more grievances.Step Up Undergraduate Advisors of Record (UGAR) Sessions and Strategic Planning CommitteePatti Gonzalez distributed a handout and noted the upcoming (UGAR) meetings. She mentioned theStrategic Planning Committee and said she has names of faculty representatives to serve fromGeological Sciences and Physics and Astronomy. She would like to have representatives from eachdepartment for the first meeting in mid-February. 3
  7. 7. High Achieving First-Year StudentsDiane Elizondo stated that students identified as outstanding sophomores will be eligible for ascholarship drawing on 2 February which would be an incentive for them to remain at UTSA. Areception recognizing the recipients will be held on 3 March from 2-3 p.m. in the Hidalgo Room in theUC. She also provided a handout on information gathered from students about reasons why they leftUTSA after their first year of study that was collated in summer 2008. Diane provided handouts onhigh-achieving cohort students from Fall 2008. COS has the highest number of high achieving students.These students have been sent letters with information about COS scholarships. Any suggestions onother efforts to retain students can be sent to Diane. Dr. Perry will work with Diane to have programsfor all levels.Board of Regents’ Outstanding Teaching AwardsThe deadline for nominations is 13 February to the Dean’s Office.President’s Distinguished Achievement AwardsDr. Perry encouraged department chairs to nominate at least one faculty member in each category. Hecommented that they could use the same information from last year. The deadline for nominations tothe Dean’s office is 27 February.Education Committee Report on Texas K-12 Math and Science EducationDr. Perry informed administrators that he was providing the handout he received at a Deans’ meetingwith the Provost for their information. 4
  8. 8. College of Sciences (COS) Meeting of Dean’s Executive Council 2 March 2009Present:Dean - George PerryDepartment Chairs - Edwin Barea-Rodriguez, Alan Dutton, Waldek Gorski, Miguel Jose-Yacaman, Sandy Norman, Kleanthis PsarrisAssociate Deans - Raymond Baird, Craig Jordan, George Negrete, Andy TsinCenter/Institute/Program Directors - Aaron Cassill, Joe LazorAssistant Dean - Garry CastellanosCOS Undergraduate Advising Director - Patti GonzalezCOS Retention and Graduation Analyst - Diane ElizondoGuest Speakers - Joe Fritz, John PalmerSummary NotesTextbook Ordering Review and EvaluationDr. Perry welcomed John Palmer, Director, and Joe Fritz, Text Manager, of the UTSABookstore. Mr. Palmer stated that the Bookstore wants to meet the needs of faculty and students.He has heard comments about the Bookstore under-ordering books and he and his staff wereapproaching the colleges and soliciting feedback. He said a number of factors are taken intoconsideration when ordering books. Weekly enrollment reports are reviewed. The date of issueof the book is taken into consideration. About 90% of the time the right numbers of books areordered. But it only takes one class with the incorrect number of books ordered that impactsstudents and receives much attention.About 20% of students attempt to get through class without a book. Students view the Bookstoreprices as being the highest and they are looking for the best buys on e-Bay or Amazon. Pricesare driven by the publisher. The Bookstore provides used text books. If a textbook is beingreused during the next term, the Bookstore will pay up to 50% of the new textbook priceprovided the book is in good condition.Dr. Gorski asked about e-Books. Mr. Palmer responded that this is a good option. However, thee-Book business is developing and there is no organized way to determine the standard. Theprices of e-Books vary and vendors have different policies. Dr. Barea-Rodriguez asked whatfaculty can do about the high costs of books. Mr. Palmer responded by using a book that will beused for a while and to stretch it out between editions. Customized books that use certainchapters can be sold at a lower cost. These can be ordered but the Bookstore would needassurances that books will be used for several years.Dr. Barea-Rodriguez commented that he has had discussion with publishers and making themaware that some costs of books are too expensive and he will not use them for his classes. Hefeels that you have to bargain with publishers as a way to keep costs down.
  9. 9. Deadlines for ordering textbooks are: Summer term - March 15 Fall term - April 15 Spring term – October 15Mr. Palmer appreciated the feedback from administrators. He stated that in the past theBookstore has worked primarily with staff in the departments. He wants to also encouragecommunication with administrators and faculty. Mr. Palmer and Mr. Fritz are available to attenddepartment faculty meetings.I ClickersDr. Dutton stated that the clicker technology should be standardized. Dr. Barea-Rodriguezcommented that he had contacted Dr. Larry Williams about standardizing clickers. Dr. Perryrequested department chairs to be thinking about moving to a standard clicker for the college.This will be discussed at the next meeting of the Dean’s Executive Council.End of Summer Research Conference and Diversity Initiatives’ ActivitiesDr. Negrete informed the forum that a summer research conference was being planned for lateAugust. Undergraduate students will present posters on their research. Dr. Negrete wants toexpand this for the entire college. Other universities would be invited to attend and the goal is tobring regional students so they can get to know UTSA. We will have an event organizer.Faculty would need to make contacts and do leg work.Dr. Tsin suggested this could be a conference to showcase the college and suggested that itinclude master’s and Ph.D. students and faculty. Dr. Negrete responded that we would needmore money and resources. After hearing input, Dr. Negrete concluded that discussions willcontinue on the plan for the conference.A committee will soon review nominations received for the Dean’s Fellows.The Lone Star Graduate Diversity Colloquium is scheduled for 27-28 March 2009 on the UTSAcampus. An estimated 55-70 students are expected to attend. Dr. Negrete is requesting thatdepartment chairs have faculty available to connect with students.Proposal Routing, CAYUSEThe CAYUSE system provides for electronic submission of proposals and routing throughadministrative levels for approvals. Dr. Tsin indicated that a problem appears to be routing.There are many proposals that need to be reviewed. Some proposals do not route to departmentchairs for approvals. Based on the Office of Sponsored Programs, a proposal is required to routethrough department chairs only if a faculty member indicates a response of “yes” to the questionsthat follow: 2
  10. 10. • Are matching funds or cost sharing included in this proposal? • Are the faculty involved in this project requesting buy-out of their teaching time? • Does the project require the hiring of new faculty? • Does this proposal involve new space or alterations to existing space within the university?The routing of proposals was discussed at earlier Chairs’ Council and Provost’s Councilmeetings. The outcome was approval for the current routing process. The Office of SponsoredProgram has informed the college that until President Romo changes the directive, departmentchairs can be bypassed on proposal routing when the areas mentioned above are not involved.Dr. Barea-Rodriguez pointed out some proposals involve buyouts and students. There is theconcern of proposals from centers and institutes in the college not routed through thedepartments thus bypassing department chairs in the approval process. Dr. Psarris indicated thatthere is a cost for research and external funding should share part of the cost. He wants to seebudgets and he commented that some proposals allow for course buyouts but faculty do notinclude them.After a discussion, the department chairs agreed that all proposals should be routed through themfor approval. Dr. Perry will request this recommendation be discussed at a future Provost’sCouncil meeting.Class SchedulesDr. Barea-Rodriguez indicated that he was a member of the university room schedulingcommittee. An issue is the number of classrooms available on campus - 104 classrooms @1604, 40 downtown. Biology majors need classes offered at the same time as classes needed bychemistry students. He mentioned the model in the College of Business where one person doesthe scheduling of classes for the college. He asked “How can we work together as departmentstoward this and have classes scheduled so they do not conflict?” Patti suggested havinga meeting with all the individuals in departments involved with scheduling classes, before theSchedule of Classes is published, so that they can consult and ensure that courses COS majorsneed are not offered at the same or overlapping times. She mentioned that she and Diane havebeen involved with the Downtown Curriculum Committee that Dr. Guentzel is chairing. Dr.Guentzel asked that she create a block schedule for FR, SO, JR, and SR biology students to takea full-load of courses at the Downtown Campus (for the spring 2008 and the fall 2009). She wasalso asked to create a block schedule for FR with non-biology COS majors to take a full-load ofcourses at the Downtown Campus (for the spring 2008 and the fall 2009). In doing so, she foundthat there were a number of time conflicts. After a discussion, Dr. Perry requested that Dr.Jordan follow up on this issue.Stimulus ImpactDr Baird summarized what he had been able to piece together from several sources regarding thepotential impact of the federal “stimulus” package on COS funding. Several agencies will haveenhanced funding (totaling several billion dollars) which will be awarded for research and 3
  11. 11. education. Most of the money is expected to be spent within 24 months and much of it willrevolve about the themes of biomedical, energy, climate change, and competitive research.There will be much pressure to spend the money well (trying to avoid ridicule from across theaisle deriving from “bridges to nowhere,” etc.). There will be additional funding for studentscholarships and work study programs. There will be some money available for rehabilitatingbuildings related to science activities, but these funds will be routed through state governmentagencies. Since many of the dollars will go to fund grant proposals (RO1’s) previously found tobe highly meritorious but not funded due to budget limitations, Dean Perry advised departmentchairs to inform applicants who had grant proposals falling into this category to contact theappropriate program officers at the granting agencies.Doctoral FacultyDr. Dutton provided a handout on the policy on funding support of doctoral aspirants/candidatesfrom the handbook on the Environmental Science and Engineering Ph.D. Program. Dr. Perryindicated that we are trying to identify a subset of the graduate faculty to serve as doctoralfaculty. These individuals would be principal advisors and supervising Ph.D. students.President’s Distinguished Achievement AwardsDr. Perry reported that he had reviewed the recommendations of the College Faculty ReviewAdvisory Committee for the awards and forwarded the college’s nominees to the Provost’sOffice. The department chairs will be informed of the nominees.Other BusinessSan Antonio Math & Science Education PartnershipDr. Cassill mentioned the very successful San Antonio Math & Science Education Partnershipmeeting with 75 K-12, community college and university teachers in attendance. Fifteen out of18 school districts were represented as well as every community college and all but one four-year university. Provost Frederick attended the meeting along with two department chairs fromthe College of Sciences, Dr. Barea-Rodriguez and Dr. Norman. The group spent three hoursdiscussing approaches to improving STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering andMathematics) education in San Antonio.Dr. Norman stated there is a big gap between what K-12 teachers are doing and what is expectedof students coming to the university. He stated we hope to bring the leadership together andhave future meetings. Dr. Lazor commented that it was important to have the presence ofdepartment chairs as we partner with districts. 4
  12. 12. College of Sciences (COS) Meeting of Dean’s Executive Council 16 March 2009Present:Dean - George PerryDepartment Chairs - Edwin Barea-Rodriguez, Waldek Gorski, Miguel Jose-Yacaman, SandyNorman, Kleanthis PsarrisAssociate Deans - Raymond Baird, Craig Jordan, George NegreteCenter/Institute/Program Directors - Aaron Cassill, Weldon Hammond, Joe LazorAssistant Dean - Garry CastellanosCOS Undergraduate Advising Director - Patti GonzalezCOS Retention and Graduation Analyst - Diane ElizondoRepresentative for Dr. Dutton - Stuart BirnbaumSummary NotesExxonMobil Texas Science and Engineering FairDr. Birnbaum informed administrators that the Science and Engineering fair was fastapproaching. As of 16 March there were 96 judges which is half of what is needed. He provideda handout with the names of judges. He requested that efforts be made to try and find judges atthe university, in our laboratories and in the community. Qualifications of judges are shownbelow: Middle School Division Senior Division  Graduate students  Ph.D. degree  Individuals working in discipline  Postdoctoral students with a bachelor’s degree  Ph.D. students who have advanced to  Retired teachers candidacy  Significant work experienceDr. Birnbaum also mentioned that volunteers are needed on 28 March. Department chairs andfaculty can contact student organizations and make them aware of the opportunity to do servicework. Volunteers do not have to be science students. Kai Kamaka can be contacted forinformation on volunteers. Set up at the convention center is Saturday, 28 March and judgingwill be Sunday, 29 March. Parking and food will be provided for volunteers.Dr. Birnbaum mentioned that at the recent Alamo Regional Science and Engineering Fair held atSt. Mary’s University, scholarships were given from UTSA. Much of the selection rested on hisshoulders as there was a small selection committee. More faculty participation is needed at theScience end Engineering fair for this effort.
  13. 13. Dr. Perry asked if faculty participation factored in for community service and the merit process.Dr. Psarris responded that faculty can include this information in their annual reports and it willbe reviewed.Information on the fair can be accessed at: www.emtsef.orgReport on “Designing Texas Undergraduate Education in the 21st Century”Dr. Perry referenced the copy of the memorandum from the Coordinating Board. TheCommissioner of Higher Education authorized the creation of a standing advisory committee tostudy and make recommendations for improving the quality of undergraduate education inTexas. The recommendations were listed in the memorandum. Dr. Perry mentioned that thisreflected continued scrutiny of how we are graduating students.There followed an extended discussion revolving around teaching. Summary comments byattendees are provided below:Dr. Barea-Rodriguez: When assistant professors are recruited, an emphasis is placed onresearch. Message is that if you focus on teaching and not research, you will not get promoted.This gets passed on and shows up in attitudes of tenured faculty. Faculty need to receive themessage that teaching is important here. (Parenthetically, he ventured that the proposed teachingtrack is unrealistic; number of courses one would have to teach is not doable.)Great research universities have great teachers; but classes are small, student-to-teacher ratio issmall. We need to learn how to let the teachers teach and the researchers do research - both helpthe university.Dr. Norman: Observed that he sees people going into teaching who will not be good teachers.Dr. Psarris: Expressed the opinion that teaching and research are not mutually exclusive. Thebest scholars can also be the best teachers. (Others questioned whether that was universallytrue.) With the focus on UTSA becoming a top-tier university there is the misconception thatteaching is not important. Top-tier universities also value teaching as much as they valueresearch.Dr. Cassill: He has heard that the Provost wants faculty to be better teachers. However, thefaculty are not participating in the discussions. The University needs to ask faculty “what is ityou need to motivate you and what will make you participate?” He also mentioned the fact thatsince superior teaching figures little in promotion decisions, good teachers are denied the largeraises associated with promotion.Dr. Baird: Mentioned the handout prepared by the associate deans addressing the issue ofmeasuring teaching in a valid fashion. When and if those options are adopted, department chairswill have means to distribute merit raises so as to reflect superior teaching as well as superiorresearch - those financial resources are already available. 2
  14. 14. Dr. Lazor: Recalled that he had met Sandy Norman 17 years ago, when the first standardizedmathematics achievement tests were being imposed on the public schools. In the early results,only 7% of students passed. We are at a similar place now at the university. He noted that themeasures, external or internal, had to be objective and rigorous, and there had to be a standard.When these were in place, the public school teachers responded with innovation andimprovement and now generally meet the standards. He said the expectation had to be thatfailure is not acceptable.Dr. Birnbaum: Noted that the American Chemical Society (ACS) has standards and tests whichare used in several chemistry courses. He inquired if any departments had evaluations/standardslike the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc. (ABET)?Patti Gonzalez: Observed that from the discussion it sounds like there are good teachers inevery department. Perhaps together they could make up a college teaching effectiveness taskforce which could help develop standards and best practices. She noted that even if we did notget extra financial resources, if we agreed on some measures of success then department chairscould allocate the merit monies in ways that would reward superior teaching.Dr. Gorski: Noted that we faculty know how to do research because we have been trained to doso. We do not know how to teach. He suggested that we conduct classes for faculty - severalclasses a semester, demonstrating what a good teacher should do. He noted that in Chemistry,when they do recruiting they are talking research expertise, can candidate bring grant money.They ask candidate to submit one page of teaching philosophy and this is reviewed by therecruitment committee.Dr. Psarris: Was of the opinion that departments cannot evaluate teaching on a recruitmentvisit.Dr. Baird: Suggested that young faculty should be mentored by master teachers when theyarrive. Frequently, under present procedures, there is little teaching in the first few years. Newfaculty should be doing some teaching under supervision so they gradually develop someteaching skills before they have to face a full-time teaching load.Dr. Lazor: Suggested teaching partnerships - have faculty pair themselves. If they sat in oneach others classes, it would help in both ways. But there has to be an agreement.Dr. Gorski: Said he had tried to do formal mentoring. The major issue encountered is that someyoung faculty members said they already knew what was necessary for career development. Dr.Baird suggested that this “arrangement” be discussed with prospective hires at time ofrecruitment.Garry Castellanos: Suggested that the importance of teaching could be reflected in a strategicplan or workload policy or handbook. 3
  15. 15. Dr. Perry: Reiterated that the message from Provost and President is unambiguous - thatteaching is an important part of the faculty role. He also emphasized that departments canreward top teachers by using merit process.Dr. Birnbaum: Discussion has come back to a point made earlier: we have no effective meansof identifying who are superior teachers.Dr. Perry: Discussion will continue at next meeting.Faculty Promotion GuidelinesA draft document from the Provost’s Office was provided. Dr. Barea-Rodriguez noted that achange in procedure will provide for department chairs to attend DFRAC meetings. Commentson the document can be sent either to Dr. Frederick or Dr. Perry. [Since the meeting the finaldocument has been distributed.]Dr. Yacaman indicated his concern that a past mentor could not serve as an external reviewer.Dr. Baird responded that this was a conflict of interest.Dissemination of Information from Dean’s Executive Council MeetingsDr. Perry asked if information from meetings of the Dean’s Executive Council meetings wasbeing passed to faculty. Some department chairs responded only if the information wasapplicable. After a discussion, it was agreed that the notes would be posted to the college’shomepage.Doctoral FacultyWith the exception of the Department of Geological Sciences, the department chairs haveindicated they now have a policy.I-Clickers - George PerryDr. Perry reminded department chairs that they were requested to obtain information on thistopic from the last meeting. He asked if the college should adopt a standard clicker. Dr. Normanmentioned that a representative for the I-Clicker system will be providing a demonstration andtraining session on how these can be used in classes at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, 27 March 2009 inRoom 2.03.10 MS. Dr. Barea-Rodriguez indicated that he had e-mailed Larry Williams aboutadopting a common clicker. Dr. Birnbaum stated that there seems to be a trend toward usingTurning Point. Dr. Perry encouraged department chairs to continue to obtain more informationon clickers.2008-2010 PrerequisitesPatti distributed a handout of the 2008-2010 prerequisites that will be entered and enforced forfall (registration starts April 6). Any changes the department chairs wish to make (to avoid 4
  16. 16. excessive Prereq Override Requests) should be sent via email to Barbara Smith with a copy toPatti Gonzalez.Jump Start ProgramDiane Elizondo provided a handout on the “Jump Start 2009 Update.” As of 3 March 2009,1,527 students have been admitted to the COS as freshman (FR) for fall 2009. Theirmathematics readiness skills are shown below: • 506 of these students are eligible for college algebra. • 720 are considered college ready (CR) in mathematics, but not eligible for college algebra without the mathematics placement examination. • 301 are considered not college ready (NCR) in mathematics.Invitations were sent to students to participate in Jump Start, an intensive, one-day mathematicsrefresher course. This new program helps incoming freshmen in the Colleges of Engineeringand Sciences prepare for the calculus placement examination and is offered the day beforefreshman orientation sessions.Other BusinessClass SchedulesDepartments will be requested to post course schedules for future semesters on web sites. It isexpected that schedules would be subject to change. 5
  17. 17. College of Sciences (COS) Meeting of Dean’s Executive Council 13 April 2009Present:Dean - George PerryDepartment Chairs - Edwin Barea-Rodriguez, Alan Dutton, Waldek Gorski, Miguel Jose-Yacaman, Sandy Norman, Kleanthis PsarrisAssociate Deans - Raymond Baird, Craig Jordan, George NegreteCenter/Institute/Program Directors - Aaron Cassill, Joe LazorAssistant Dean - Garry CastellanosCOS Undergraduate Advising Director - Patti GonzalezCOS Retention and Graduation Analyst - Diane ElizondoSummary NotesStatus of Annual Faculty Performance AppraisalsDr. Baird reminded department chairs that faculty appraisals need to be completed. He askeddepartment chairs about the status of appraisals in their departments. Their responses are notedbelow: Biology Only seven appraisals need to be completed Chemistry Will be completed in two to three days Computer Science Will be completed by the end of the semester Environmental Science 1/3 done; 1/3 scheduled; 1/3 pending Geological Sciences Appraisals have been completed Mathematics Will be completed by next week Physics and Astronomy Appraisals will be completed in two weeksDr. Gorski commented that he is planning for a more meaningful assessment of teachingeffectiveness for faculty appraisals for next year. He has talked with Barbara Millis, Director,Teaching, Excellence, Advancement, and Mentoring (TEAM) Center. He will be adding arequirement for chemistry faculty to attend one to two TEAM teaching workshops. Faculty will beable to add points in the teaching segment of the appraisal. If they do not participate, they willreceive zero (0) in the category. Dr. Gorski feels in the long run this may help teaching skills.ResearcherID LinkDr. Perry informed the forum that he had found a site, ResearcherID, which was easier to use forevaluating faculty for citations. He is requesting that faculty being reviewed for promotion/tenureor post tenure review register at the site. Faculty members will need to create their own profile.The site is linked to the Web of Knowledge. Dr. Yacaman mentioned one would have to domultiple searches because of the different way names are spelled. Dr. Perry felt that the variouslistings could be checked. The site can be accessed at:
  18. 18. Campus-Wide AuditGarry referenced the memorandum dated 7 April 2009 from Dr. Frederick on the “Campus-WideAudit.” There will be an audit that will review how information technology assets are managed,funded and secured efficiently and effectively. Paul Tyler and Carol Rapps will be contacting areaindividuals to see what resources we own and are responsible for. This information will be helpfulfor the new Chief Information Officer coming to UTSA.Fall 2005-2008 ComparisonDr. Perry provided the handout on “Fall 2005-2008 Comparison” which was distributed at aStrategic Resource Planning Council meeting. This is information reported to the CoordinatingBoard and is something like a breakeven analysis. The data will be a major driver for facultyrecruitment. There were questions about the data asked by the department chairs - number offaculty in departments, why are there fractions, were NTT faculty included, comparison to othercomponents in the UT System. Mr. George Jeffery, Provost’s Office, will be invited to attend afuture meeting of the Dean’s Executive Council to discuss the spreadsheet.Course PrerequisitesDr. Perry stated he would be asking each of the department chairs for confirmation of two items: 1. Whether a department’s schedule of classes will look the same as in the past. We need to make sure that prerequisites will be factored. 2. Are there unhidden prerequisites or prerequisites that are unnecessary.Departments need to give due consideration so that we do not have obstacles preventing studentsfrom graduating. Patti commented that there are a lot of overrides of prerequisites. Patti asked thedepartment chairs for a definition of a prerequisite. The answer was a course necessary prior to dowell in the requisite course.External Reviewer’s Format LetterThere was a discussion about the sections in the sample letter from the Provost’s Office on“evaluating research/scholarly/creative accomplishment” and not evaluating teaching. The letteralso informs external reviewers that their evaluation will be made available if someone requests tosee it. Dr. Yacaman conveyed that this was not an appropriate letter to be sent to externalreviewers and questioned why external reviewers could not comment on teaching. Dr. Perrymentioned that he had samples of letters from universities asking him for an evaluation. Copies ofthese letters will be sent to Dr. Barea-Rodriguez and Dr. Yacaman.Spring Fling 2009Patti reminded the forum about Spring Fling 2009 which is scheduled for Saturday, 18 April 2009,on campus. This event is for juniors and their parents. If departments are interested inparticipating, reservations forms need to be submitted by April 15. 2
  19. 19. Dr. Norman commented that he had reviewed the spring 2009 Graduation Initiative newsletter. Hestated that the article was unreasonably and universally critical about advising. He felt that thecomments made did not apply and that he has witnessed COS advisors being more proactive.Diane commented that the article came from data in the Report of the Blue Ribbon Committee onthe Undergraduate Experience and the report about barriers to graduation compiled from theGraduation Initiative, which included a student feedback report from two years ago. She statedthat students might incorrectly state academic advising is a problem for some issues that theadvising centers have no purview (e.g. when and what courses are offered each semester - adepartment responsibility).Dr. Jordan conveyed that he was attending a weekly group meeting with Dr. Williams. Dr.Frederick has requested a report by mid-May to deal with problems of advising. The group istrying to determine what is the scope of the problem. Are complaints by students about an advisoror an advising center?Dr. Norman stated that if department chairs have opportunity for input, he would like to providesome. He sees the COS advisors as being more proactive plus the Advising Center operates with alimited budget. Dr. Barea-Rodriguez agreed with Dr. Norman’s comments.Diane commented that an outside consultant will be used to evaluate advising. Patti respondedthat there was an external review in 2005 and recommendations were made.Diane noted that we need to advocate to and inform the Provost about our proactive activities. Dr.Jordan emphasized that the COS Undergraduate Advising Center is trying to reach out to students.He pointed out that Patti has to go through Barbara Smith, Executive Director of Advising. Pattistated that she and the advisors have good ideas but not the support. Dr. Norman suggested thatadministrators work to have the COS Undergraduate Advising Center assigned back to the Collegeof Sciences. The advising centers are supported by student fees. Garry mentioned that he had metwith Dr. Williams. Of the money collected, Dr. Williams has to fund all the advising centers.Dr. Lazor suggested that COS conduct an analysis of services. He stated that the information inthe report might need to be challenged because if it is an attitude survey it is not usefulinformation.Another hindrance is that students are receiving advising from four offices - COS UndergraduateAdvising Center, Honors College, University Health Professions Office, and Athletics Advising ifa student-athlete.New BusinessDr. Yacaman commented that meetings of the Dean’s Executive Council were scheduled too closetogether and recommended that they be scheduled every three weeks. Dr. Perry asked the forumfor their comments and there was agreement.Diane requested that Dr. Gloria Crisp, College of Education and Human Development, be invitedto speak at a future meeting to talk about Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics(STEM) majors. 3
  20. 20. College of Sciences (COS) Meeting of Dean’s Executive Council 4 May 2009Present:Dean - George PerryDepartment Chairs - Edwin Barea-Rodriguez, Alan Dutton, Waldek Gorski, Sandy NormanAssociate Deans - Raymond Baird, Craig JordanCenter/Institute/Program Directors - Aaron Cassill, Joe Lazor, Ravi SandhuAssistant Dean - Garry CastellanosCOS Undergraduate Advising Director - Patti GonzalezAssistant Department Chair, Biology - Hans HeidnerGuest Speakers - Edward (Ted) Early, Peter SmithSummary NotesStatus of Annual Faculty Performance AppraisalsDr. Baird informed department chairs that it was important that they conclude their annualfaculty performance appraisals as faculty would soon be departing and appraisals are required formerit consideration.Partnerships with Northrop GrummanDr. Perry introduced Edward (Ted) Early, Ph.D. and Peter Smith, Ph.D. of Northrop GrummanCorporation (NGC). Northrop Grumman is a first tier defense company and involved withresearch development. Both individuals spoke during their PowerPoint presentation. Dr. Smithextended thanks for the long-standing relationship with Northrop Grumman and conveyed hiscompany wants to continue to develop partnerships with UTSA. Dr. Smith indicated that NGCis a less familiar company and was having difficulty attracting individuals to work in Texas andthey were now taking an approach of looking for individuals at their own doorstep.Northrop Grumman is involved with research, providing information, and advising thegovernment on the best strategy of an application. It is also involved with laser research andproviding biological data for laser safety standards. Dr. Early stated that despite being a militaryresearch environment, publications are generated at NGC.Northrop Grumman is committed to education. The company offers an educational assistanceprogram and has an internship program with UTSA for all science backgrounds. Summerinternships could be developed. Dr. Smith stated that representatives from his company will beable to attend student group meetings.Garry mentioned the teaming agreement between the College of Sciences, UTSA and NorthropGrumman Information Technology Inc., a Northrop Grumman Company. He mentioned thepossibility of developing an agreement that would allow using a Northrop Grumman securecomputing facility in lieu of duplicating a similar facility at UTSA. This would be beneficialfor UTSAs Institute for Cyber Security.
  21. 21. Strategic Plan, College of SciencesDr. Perry informed the forum that a brochure would be developed from the strategic plan for theCollege of Sciences. A copy of the strategic plan was provided and he requested thatadministrators review the document and send any changes to him.Professional Science Teaching TrackDr. Baird reported that he and Dr. Perry had a good meeting with Provost Frederick on the topicof the professional science and mathematics teaching track. Dr. Frederick gave his approval forthe college to begin identifying faculty. Dr. Baird will be following up with department chairsfor suggestions regarding faculty who might be good candidates. This teaching track will not beavailable for assistant professors.Department ReviewsDr. Perry noted the handout on department reviews. Dr. Frederick is requesting that departmentshave periodic reviews. Three departments need to be scheduled. Dr. Barea-Rodriquez asked ifthere was a template. Dr. Gorski mentioned that the department was reviewed periodically bythe American Chemical Society and he asked if this review would be sufficient. Dr. Perry willfollow-up and e-mail department chairs information regarding reviews given to him by Dr.Frederick.Communications from Laboratory Safety OfficerDr. Perry referenced two handouts from Wendy McCoy, Laboratory Safety Officer. Sheprovided a listing of all required training courses for graduate students. She also sent an e-mailabout complaints received regarding laboratory personnel wearing gloves in common areas.Department chairs were requested to follow up with laboratories in their areas.New Faculty Orientation and Prerequisite Checking, Summer and FallBarbara Smith, Executive Director of Advising, informed Patti that summer prerequisitechecking is being turned off. This has been the practice for past summers. Faculty will have tocheck themselves. Patti also commented that there was a problem which resulted in prerequisitechecking for fall being turned off for a few hours. Those students will eventually be droppedfrom these courses, probably after spring grades roll. Dr. Perry will request that this topic bediscussed at a future meeting of Deans’ Council.New BusinessTravelGarry mentioned the advisories that had been issued about Influenza H1N1 (swine flu). TheUTSA Police Department distributed information on the UT System Travel recommendationsindicating that all non-essential travel to Mexico be suspended. Mr. Gribou, Executive ViceProvost, distributed an e-mail regarding UTSA study abroad and exchange programs in Mexico. 2
  22. 22. Research OpportunitiesDr. Perry stated that he had attended a meeting of the associate vice presidents for research.Information on opportunities through the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of2009 was discussed. Dr. Tsin will send information to department chairs and directors ofcenters/institutes. There will be increased reports and monitoring with all grants that will beawarded through the ARRA. Report processing will be delegated to departments.Equipment ListGarry mentioned that he had received inputs from department chairs and directors ofcenters/institutes. He distributed copies of the consolidated equipment list inputs to departmentchairs and requested it be reviewed. Dr. Perry requested that administrators scrutinize the listand maintain a current list of equipment needs so that if funds become available unexpectedly wewould be prepared to submit our requests. 3
  23. 23. College of Sciences (COS) Meeting of Dean’s Executive Council 15 June 2009Present:Dean – George PerryDepartment Chairs – Alan Dutton, Waldek Gorski, Sandy NormanAssociate Deans – Raymond Baird, Craig Jordan, George Negrete, Andy TsinCenter/Institute/Program Directors – Weldon Hammond, Joe Lazor, John McCarreyAssistant Dean – Garry CastellanosDirector of Development – Kim FischerUndergraduate Advising Director and Staff – Patti Gonzalez, Paul Machen, Kim RolfRetention and Graduation Analyst – Diane ElizondoRepresentative for Dr. Barea-Rodriguez – Martha LundellRepresentative for Dr. Yacaman – Rafael López-MobiliaGuest Speaker – Gloria CrispSummary NotesIntroduction of Kim Fischer, COS Director of DevelopmentDr. Perry introduced Kim Fischer who has been appointed COS Director of Development. Shehas more than 15 years in public relations and development. She lived in New Mexico for 25years before moving to San Antonio nine years ago. During that time, she has been adevelopment consultant for numerous non-profit organizations, including the Cancer Therapyand Research Center.Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) MajorsDr. Perry introduced Gloria Crisp, Ed.D., Assistant Professor, College of Education and HumanDevelopment. She discussed her research study that examined underrepresented undergraduatestudent groups and their success. The findings were also provided in the handout she distributed.Dr. Negrete suggested a follow-up study as to how intervention program are useful to the successof students.Diane Elizondo asked about the role of faculty mentoring with undergraduates and suggestedthat introductory science and mathematics courses not be large to create a small collegeexperience. In addition, introductory seminars can also be created, like learning communities.Dr. Crisp stated that research supports that this experience within the first year is positive andmentoring is important.Dr. Perry mentioned he had received information from the Association of Public and Land-GrantUniversities. The information indicates recitation courses increase social interaction and studentperformance. Dr. Norman recommended an introductory seminar course so students know whatto expect. Dr. Perry and Dr. Jordan will have continued discussions.
  24. 24. COS BudgetGarry Castellanos distributed a handout to department chairs regarding FY 10 BudgetAllocations. The good news is that we have more money. Over two years, we asked for $14Mwith infusion of new faculty. This included associated start-up costs as there can be multipleyears of appointments. The permanent funding received for the college is $272,000 spread overacademic units for the coming year. The better news is that we are recruiting 16 new faculty. Atotal of 11 individuals have signed acceptance letters (one offer still pending). An amount of$1.6M has been committed for these new faculty. Lapsed salaries can be used by departmentchairs to hire NTT faculty and other initiatives to grow departments.Dr. Perry indicated that we need to be starting faculty searches earlier. Departments should benetworking with colleagues at UTSA and elsewhere, leaders in the field of the search, andplacing advertisements in pivotal publications for the field.Funding for the San Antonio Life Sciences Institute (SALSI) has been approved.American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009 Reporting RequirementsGarry referenced the handout and stated that Dr. Tsin had also sent information on reportingguidelines to departments. The handout provided summary information on reportingrequirements, there may be additional reporting requirements. UTSA will hire someone to assistwith data collection. The Office of Sponsored Projects does not have a template yet. Somerequired reporting will be the number of jobs created from funding received. Quarterly reportswill be due soon. ARRA awards are to be flagged.Two Special One-time Funding Opportunities at NSF (MRI and ARI)Dr. Perry stated that Dr. Yacaman had requested this topic be discussed but he was unable toattend the meeting. Dr. Perry asked “How do we choose limited submission grants? Do we needa special meeting?” He indicated that the process raises a lot of questions. While it is not ideal,there is representation for every group in the selection process. Dr. Dutton suggested that thiscould be directed to the College Policy Committee. After a discussion it was decided that Dr.Perry will follow up with a meeting with Dr. Gracy and Dr. Tsin.Procedures for Tenured Faculty Performance Improvement PlansProvost Frederick distributed the above-mentioned policy. Dr. Norman said he had concernsabout the statement: If a Department Chair determines through the annual evaluation/merit review process that a tenured faculty member is, in the Chair’s judgment, not meeting expectations in the performance of their duties, the Chair should initiate a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) for that individual.This information is neither in the UTSA Handbook of Operating Procedures nor the RegentsRules. He noted that faculty should have been included in discussions about this policy. 2
  25. 25. He feels there is an opportunity for abuse (e.g., do not like clothes, whim of the departmentchair).Dr. Norman has discussed this with the Provost and he may withdraw the policy until the FacultySenate has an opportunity to review. Dr. Perry did not see an advantage to the policy as there areample opportunities for feedback with current reviews. Dr. Perry advised department chairs tonot act or rush on this policy.Approval for Appointment of Research Faculty, DFRACDr. Perry informed the forum that Provost Frederick inquired about the appointment of researchfaculty. Research faculty are appointed through grants by principal investigators. Dr. Perryasked “How are research faculty appointed? Do you involve the faculty? Do appointments gothrough the DFRAC?” Based on the discussion, there appears to be no policies at the departmentlevel. Dr. Perry suggested there be faculty input at the department level. It was agreed that Dr.Perry meet with the College Policy Committee to discuss a policy.Course SchedulesDr. Perry recently attended a meeting with Dr. Larry Williams, Dean of Undergraduate Students.Dr. Williams referenced the posting of three-year course schedules by departments in the Collegeof Public Policy and indicated that other colleges should be following this model. Dr. Perryrequested department chairs develop three-year schedules. While he realizes that it may bedifficult to have information up-to-date, he requested that department chairs do the best jobpossible. Dr. Gorski mentioned that Chemistry should have their three-year schedule ready intwo to three weeks. Dr. Jordan mentioned that we should try and include the summer term.Promotion Deadlines, 2009Deadlines were provided for faculty reviews. Dr. Gorski reported that Bennie Keckler, Office ofAcademic and Faculty Support, will follow-up with the procedure for boxless submissions ofpromotion reviews.Manual Prerequisite Check for SummerPatti Gonzalez provided a handout on “Pre-Requisite Issues in the College of Sciences.” Thissheet provided the history of recent prerequisite checking and the burden placed on the COSAdvising Center staff. Dr. Williams has conveyed that the burden for enrolling in prerequisitecourses should rest with the student. Patti indicated that students are likely to complain andblame advisors when there are problems. They may also complain to departments. After adiscussion, it was decided that a meeting will be scheduled with Dr. Williams, Barbara Smith,Dr. Perry, COS Advising staff, department chairs and associate deans.New BusinessDr. Perry received an e-mail from Provost Frederick about faculty merit guidelines. There wasan issue about faculty being eligible for merit with a rating of 2.5. The e-mail will be forwardedto department chairs. 3
  26. 26. College of Sciences (COS) Meeting of Dean’s Executive Council 13 July 2009Present:Dean – George PerryDepartment Chairs – Edwin Barea-Rodriguez, Waldek Gorski, Miguel Jose-YacamanAssociate Deans – Neal Guentzel, Craig Jordan, George Negrete, Andy TsinAssistant Dean – Garry CastellanosDirector of Development – Kim FischerUndergraduate Advising Center – Paul MachenRetention and Graduation Analyst – Diane ElizondoRepresentative for Dr. Dutton – Eric SwansonRepresentative for Dr. Psarris – Tom BylanderGuest Speakers – Lorena Claeys, Ellen Clark, Nidia TijerinaSummary NotesDr. Perry welcomed the individuals listed below from the Academy for Teacher Excellence(ATE): Lorena Claeys, Executive Director Ellen Clark, Ph.D., Professor Nidia Tijerina, Recruiting CoordinatorThe Academy for Teacher Excellence is based in the College of Education and HumanDevelopment. Lorena Claeys gave an overview of the Academy’s activities using a PowerPointpresentation. She emphasized their goals of increasing the number of teachers in bilingual,mathematics, science and special education. Public and private universities are not graduatingenough teachers to serve the community. The Academy has received five federal grants. Strongsupport is given to students through learning communities. The ATE is particularly focused onincreasing the number of teachers in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics(STEM) areas.Dr. Jordan asked how the program was recruiting. Dr. Clark responded through Career Services,their website, and in the STEM areas. Dr. Barea-Rodriguez indicated that he has sentinformation to the biology faculty. He mentioned that a strong component of the ATE programwas mentoring.Dr. Negrete asked how the College of Sciences can partner with the Academy. Lorena statedthat informal relationships with COS have already been developed with Drs. Barea-Rodriguez,Cassill, Lazor and Travis. Dr. Clark indicated that she would like to have a formal relationshipwith more faculty involved. These partnerships can be especially fruitful since faculty in theCollege of Sciences are experts of content and faculty in College of Education and HumanDevelopment are involved with the pedagogical style. Dr. Clark is available to meet withfaculty.Dr. Clark asked if there was a way to communicate by e-mail with the COS student community.Dr. Barea-Rodriguez responded that the college’s Undergraduate Advising Center has worked on
  27. 27. ways to communicate with students (e.g., e-newsletter, working on facebook page) and thatoffice could be contacted.In recent discussions with department chairs about teaching enhancement, Dr. Perry mentionedthat faculty names had been collected from department chairs. These names will be sent to Dr.Clark.The Academy will be hiring undergraduate and graduate students. Dr. Yacaman stated thatproposals being submitted to funding agencies (e.g., NSF, Department of Energy, andDepartment of Defense) need to include information about outreach efforts. Dr. Yacaman willrecommend that faculty in his department contact the Academy.Lorena provided summary information below about collaborations with COS and the goals of theAcademy for Teacher Excellence:Collaborations: • Establish the e-community as a way of creating a virtual discussion between faculty from both colleges. This will start the dialogue regarding science coursework and TExES content alignment. In addition, the e-community can be a way of discussing grant funding opportunities. • Identify the most challenging science concepts for teacher candidates and create science content videos on demand based on those. • Review the TExES Examination and how it aligns with the science coursework. • The Academy’s Equity, Education, and Entrepreneurship (E3) grant is currently hiring undergraduate and graduate research assistants. Their duties will include face to face and online tutoring to E3 participants, in addition to entering and collecting data and preparing literature reviews. • Grant writing is a major component of ATE’s sustainment and effectiveness. ATE is open to the possibility of collaborating to co-write and prepare proposals and grants.Goals for ATE include: • Develop and maintain the e-community platform. Ms. Lucretia Fraga, ATE Instructional Technology Manager, will be sending an invitation to all of the faculty and staff that were present at the meeting to join the e-community. Once they are members of the e- community, they will have the capability to invite other faculty to join as well. • In order to create the science videos on demand, ATE will identify Interdisciplinary Learning and Teaching Faculty members to work with COS faculty members. The participating faculty members from both colleges will be compensated for a course buyout from the E3 grant. 2
  28. 28. • ATE will provide the content review materials for the TExES examination 4-8 and 8-12 grades. • ATE will forward the research assistants job postings to be disseminated to COS. • ATE is open to consider grant writing opportunities that are aligned to the Academy’s mission and vision.COS Equipment ListDr. Perry noted that the Office of the Dean maintains a list of equipment needs for ourdepartments. It is to our benefit to keep the lists current for those occasions where the Office ofthe Provost or the Office of the Vice President for Research informs the COS that funds areavailable for equipment purchases. Dr. Perry indicated that departments have copies of the lists.Dr. Yacaman mentioned that it may be beneficial for department chairs to meet to discuss whatequipment is lacking. This would help with new faculty hires to make sure they have neededequipment.Garry mentioned there are several lists: 1. Academic Enhancement Equipment (Higher Education Incentive Funding) - This was a one-time allocation made to several areas across campus to support improvements to instructional delivery capabilities and included support for: a. Department of Biology to upgrade undergraduate teaching laboratories ($163, 302) b. Department of Chemistry to modernize freshman chemistry lab ($142,330) c. Department of Computer Science to upgrade computers in instructional support labs ($304,800) d. Department of Physics and Astronomy to equip instructional support labs used for introductory courses, advanced physics labs and graduate seminars ($200,671) e. Department of Mathematics received funding to execute Math Summer Boot Camp, summer 2009 ($20,000) 2. Ongoing Research Equipment - this is a multiple department list and has evolved over two years. Some equipment was purchased by COS and funding was also provided by the Office the Provost, Office of the Vice President for Research, COS gifts and external funding. Some purchases were made and some are in progress. The list was sent to department chairs last spring.Garry suggested that directors of centers and institutes also be invited to attend a future meetingto discuss equipment lists. Garry will send equipment lists to COS Chairs. (Lists were sent onJuly 16 via e-mail to department chairs.)Laboratory Safety CommitteeDr. Perry mentioned the copy of the e-mail from Mr. Gribou, Executive Vice Provost, requestinga representative from the COS to serve on a university laboratory safety committee. Dr. Gorski 3
  29. 29. will follow up with a teaching laboratory coordinator in chemistry to see if he would be able toserve on the committee.Professional Science Master’s DegreeDr. Perry referenced a copy of the e-mail from Dr. Keith McDowell, UT System, about thedevelopment of a professional science master’s degree. Dr. Perry and Dr. Barea-Rodriguez havemet with Dr. Flannagan about the degree. Department chairs should review the e-mail and ifthere is interest, they should contact Dr. Perry.Doctoral Degree in Translational ScienceDr. Jordan referenced the handout on the doctoral degree in Translational Science. Thissummary document explains that Translational Science is emerging as an academic and scientificdiscipline. “Translational research aims to utilize systematic assessments of scientific evidenceto close the gaps between knowledge gained at the different levels of the research process – thebasic science laboratory, the clinical research discoveries, and application of these researchfindings toward prevention, disease management, and strategies to improve health outcomes.”UTSA is one of four components in the UT System involved with this joint degree. Approval bythe Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board is contingent on multi component involvement.Dr. Perry feels the degree is related to the large grant, Clinical and Translational Science Award(CTSA), awarded to the UT Health Science Center in 2008. UTSA is a component of the grant.Dr. Jordan has a complete copy of the proposal.Informing Leadership Chain of Events and Activities and Status of Faculty, Students andStaffDr. Perry requested that college administrators inform the Dean’s Office about any injuries andhe will obtain information about employees with zero percent appointment who are injured.Four-year Graduation RecognitionDr. Perry stated that he has been working with Amanda Beck and Diane Elizondo to providespecial recognition of students who graduate in four years. One possible way would be a COScord worn at commencement. Dr. Perry asked members of the Dean’s Executive Council forpermission to proceed and they agreed.Spring 2009 Strategies for Academic Success ReportPaul Machen, COS Undergraduate Advising Center, distributed a probation report for Spring2009. When the GPA of a COS major falls below 2.0, the student has to meet with an advisorfor an assessment. Strategies are identified and an advisor will track progress to see if efforts arehelping the goal of improving the GPA. Paul reviewed some of the pages of the report withadministrators. The report shows that those students who pursue recommended strategiesimprove in academic performance. Specific questions about the report can be directed to PaulMachen and Kim Rolf in the COS Undergraduate Advising Center. 4
  30. 30. New BusinessDr. Jordan informed administrators that the Graduate School will now be in the approval processfor graduate and research assistant appointments.Dr. Jordan stated that he had received information from Lorraine Harrison, Disability Services,about the loss of space for that office. Ms. Harrison was inquiring as to the possibility of thevarious departments assuming some of the responsibility for administering exams to studentsregistered with disability services that require extended time to complete exams. This wouldrequire proctoring as well as providing necessary space and desks. Some departments would beimpacted more than others. Dr. Perry suggested meeting with Daniel Sibley. Dr. Barea-Rodriguez asked if the Tomas Rivera Center could assist.Dr. Gorski asked the other department chairs if they had any issues with working relationshipsbetween post doctoral fellows and principal investigators. Dr. Gorski was dealing with an issuein his department. He explained that often post doctoral fellows are foreigners with limitedlanguage skills. They sometimes do not understand their employee rights and are afraid tocomplain. He suggested an orientation for post doctoral fellows. Garry felt this might fall underthe purview of Dr. Tsin. Dr. Perry and Dr. Gorski will meet for follow-up discussions. 5
  31. 31. College of Sciences (COS) Meeting of Dean’s Executive Council 10 August 2009Present:Dean – George PerryDepartment Chairs – Edwin Barea-Rodriguez, Alan Dutton, Waldek Gorski, Sandy NormanAssociate Deans – Raymond Baird, Neal Guentzel, George Negrete, Andy TsinCenter/Institute/Program Directors – Aaron Cassill, Weldon Hammond, Joe Lazor, Greg WhiteDirector of Development – Kim FischerUndergraduate Advising Director – Patti GonzalezRepresentative for Dr. Yacaman – Rafael López-MobiliaGuest Speaker – Carol RappsSummary NotesAsset Management AuditDr. Perry introduced Carol Rapps, UTSA Auditing and Consulting Services. She provided ahandout and overview of ongoing audits: • IT Funding – how much are we spending across the university, are we managing funds in an efficient and effective manner • IT Asset Management – tracking purchases, inventory, maintenance, security of information, and software licensing • Tac202 Security Standards Policy – compliance audit must be done every two yearsMatthew Marr is the universitys software coordinator (PP Bldg 2nd floor, (210) 458-7271, and is working with departments. Information Technology has asoftware coordination website: Chairs should inform faculty about the site and the software coordinator. Dr.Cassill commented that the reason that so many faculty are holding on to old computers is thatthere is no university policy guaranteeing a faculty member a basic computer so we have tohold on to old ones as replacements if the current one gives out. Dr. Perry remarked that wedo not have any maintenance plans to fix broken computers. Dr. Cassill pointed out that if wetook the money to provide warranties on every computer the university buys, we couldprobably contract for maintenance with the Health Science Center or a private company orprovide replacement units for much less money.Carol requested help with recommendations regarding the audits. She is available to meet withindividuals or communicate by e-mail. The audit report will be sent to Provost Frederick andThe University of Texas System.
  32. 32. San Antonio Life Sciences Institute (SALSI) GrantsDr. Tsin informed the forum that the SALSI has received funding of $8M for UTSA and UT HealthScience Center for two years. Each institution will receive $2M in the first year and $2M in thesecond year. The Vice Presidents for Research from both institutions decided on the targetareas as follows: • Health Disparities – Thankam Sunil (Sociology) • Medicinal Chemistry – George Negrete (Chemistry) • Biomedical Engineering – Miguel Jose-Yacaman (Physics and Astronomy) and Anson Ong (Biomedical Engineering) • Neuroscience – Charles Wilson (Biology)Faculty members with life sciences research topics that do not fall in the above mentionedcategories can also submit proposals for consideration. Funds have also been set aside forinnovative, non-research programs, including joint educational efforts.The proposal deadline is October 1 and the budget period will be 2010-2011. Proposals musthave a collaborator from the UT Health Science Center identified. It is expected thatapplication proposals will be short and will be reviewed for their scientific quality. Outsidereviewers will be used. Dr. Perry requested administrators inform faculty about proposals.For details, please visit www.UTSalsi.orgPostdoctoral Fellow AppointmentsDr. Perry indicated that Dr. Jordan has been collecting information about post doctoral fellows.The HOP procedure 9.32 (J) was provided as a handout. Dr. Perry remarked that theDepartment of Biology is following the procedure. Dr. Jordan is working with Gail Jensen, LegalAffairs on a standard appointment letter.Dr. Perry conveyed that across the country post doctoral fellows are asking for definedpositions. We should be thinking about developing a program so that postdoctoral fellowswould have dossiers. He referenced the handouts of current programs. A program couldinclude career development, grant writing, guest speakers, and participation in sessions in theTeaching and Learning Center.Dr. Barea-Rodriguez noted that UT Austin has a well developed program. Dr. Perry requestedthat department chairs discuss with the faculty. He indicated that we are not limited to theexamples provided in the handouts. Dr. Perry reminded department chairs to follow theprocedures in the HOP for the appointment of postdoctoral fellows. 2
  33. 33. Mentoring Students/Learning Assistance and Article from Chemical and Engineering NewsDr. Perry referenced the two handouts on student learning assistance. Information about theLearning Assistant (LA) Model at the University of Colorado, Boulder, was provided by Dr. Perryto department chairs earlier and Dr. Negrete provided the article on peer-led team learning atUT El Paso. While our departments have student mentoring programs, the handouts provideinformation about programs that are better developed.Dr. Negrete stated that the UTSA Supplemental Instruction (SI) model is working and that it isdifficult to find faculty who can provide the kind of commitment needed for learning assistanceprograms. The time and effort devoted to the UT El Paso peer-led team learning showsenhanced student success. The Teaching and Learning Center and SI are not integrated. After adiscussion it was agreed that Dr. Jordan will meet with Dr. Perry to discuss the possibility of abringing a guest speaker from UT Dallas or the University of Colorado to visit UTSA.Faculty MentoringDr. Perry stated that he would like for all departments to have mentoring programs. Heindicated that two departments, Chemistry and Computer Science, have programs. Dr. Barea-Rodriguez indicated that some faculty do not want to be mentored. Dr. Gorski commented thathis department policy will be given to new faculty so they are aware of the opportunity. After adiscussion it was agreed that Dr. Perry and Dr. Tsin will meet to discuss a college facultymentoring program.International VisaDr. Perry stated that when departments/centers/institutes are making appointments,administrators are guaranteeing there is a job and the salary is guaranteed (unless rules ofemployment are violated). Dr. Perry said we should be concerned when individuals are comingfrom outside the country. There is the expectation that money is available anddepartments/centers/institutes should have funding.Fall 2008 versus Fall 2009 Enrollment ComparisonDr. Perry referenced the handout and noted enrollment has dropped over the last two years.Dr. Barea-Rodriguez responded that we have been raising standards and improving quality.SACS Accreditation Visit (March 23-25, 2010), Quality Enhancement Plan, Web LinksDr. Perry advised the forum to not update or delete links that were used for SACS reports as theoutside reviewers will be reviewing UTSA’s reports this fall. The on-campus accreditation visit is 3
  34. 34. scheduled for March 23-25, 2010. Faculty, staff and students are expected to be familiar withthe Quality Enhancement Plan - Quantitative Scholarship: From Literary to Mastery: Perry requested faculty be informed at department meetings.Dean’s Future Scholars ProgramDr. Perry referenced the handout on the Dean’s Future Scholars. He will be working with Dr.Negrete and Dr. Tsin on this program as a way to develop a pipeline of students. Dr. JudeValdez is also interested in working with COS.House Bill 2504Dr. George Perry informed the forum about a new legislative bill, House Bill 2504. This willrequire positing of information at websites to include faculty evaluations, syllabi, and budgets.Implementation of the bill has not been finalized. The timeline is unknown. The Faculty Senateis also reviewing the bill. Information can be found at: 2009 PrerequisitesPatti informed the forum that the Advising Center was again requested to do manualprerequisite checking for the fall term. She stated 15% errors were identified. Dr. Gorskicommented that it appeared no progress had been made since the meeting with Dr. LarryWilliams. There was a suggestion to invite the new Chief Information Officer to a meeting ofthe Dean’s Executive Council. Patti will draft a memo to Provost Frederick from Dr. Perry anddepartment chairs about the need for computerized checking for prerequisites. [Patti sent thee-mail draft to Dean Perry on 11 August. The COS Advising Center and the UndergraduateStudies Support and Technology Services (USSTS) office met on 14 August and analyzed severalstudent cases and came up with plans of action that should reduce the number of students onthe list in future semesters.]Reminder about Proposals for the Core Values Initiative ProgramThe deadline for submission of proposals to the Dean’s Office is Thursday, August 27.Reminder about Textbook AdoptionsDr. Perry reminded department chairs that they should follow up with the Bookstore to ensuretextbooks have been ordered for classes. If a course does not require a textbook, theBookstore should be informed. 4
  35. 35. Information Booklet – Texas A&M UniversityDr. Perry referenced the informational booklet from Texas A&M University. Dr. Barea-Rodriguez responded that the Department of Biology has a booklet. Dr. Perry encourageddepartments to have one that introduces students to the key elements of success.Fall Meetings of Dean’s Executive CouncilMeetings will be scheduled every three weeks in the fall. Mary Alice will follow up withcontacting administrators to try and find a two-hour block of time.New BusinessDr. Guentzel complimented Dr. Negrete on the successful COS Research Conference. Dr.Negrete acknowledged Dr. Tsin’s contributions. 5
  36. 36. College of Sciences (COS) Meeting of Dean’s Executive Council 31 August 2009Present:Dean – George PerryDepartment Chairs – Edwin Barea-Rodriguez, Alan Dutton, Waldek Gorski, Miguel Jose-Yacaman, Sandy Norman, Kleanthis PsarrisAssociate Deans – Raymond Baird, Neal Guentzel, Craig Jordan, George NegreteCenter/Institute/Program Directors – Aaron Cassill, Weldon Hammond, Joe LazorAssistant Dean – Garry CastellanosUndergraduate Advising Director – Patti GonzalezRetention and Graduation Analyst – Diane ElizondoSummary NotesUpdates, Handbook of Operating ProcedureDr. Baird informed the group about the recent updates to some procedures in the UTSAHandbook of Operating Procedures. Copies of the revised procedures were provided toadministrators: ● 2.10 Faculty Reappointment, Promotion, and Tenure ● 2.11 Annual Faculty Performance Appraisals for Merit Pay Consideration ● 2.14 Faculty Workload and Minimum Faculty Teaching Requirement ● 2.22 Periodic Performance Evaluation of Tenured Faculty ● 2.23 Professional Expectations for Faculty ● 2.24 Third-Year ReviewDr. Baird highlighted some of the changes and requested department chairs review thedocuments and inform appropriate staff in the departments of the updates. The Dean’s officeis checking on deadlines related to periodic performance evaluations and third-year reviews.STARS FundingGarry indicated that COS had received $1.6M for new faculty salaries and start-up packages. Anamount of $1.4M has been committed for this plus the purchase of microscopes. Dr. Frederickand Dr. Gracy have requested faculty recruitment plans for the next cycle. At this time 12faculty positions have been requested in our departments, this does not include replacementpositions. We have not been receiving STARS funding and department chairs were encouragedto recruit for STARS faculty. Garry will send the COS faculty recruitment plan summary todepartment chairs. Dr. Negrete reminded department chairs that as we initiate anotherrecruiting cycle, work must be done in advance to make connections with minority scholars. Hementioned that the Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Sciences(SACNAS) meeting will be held on October 15-18 in Dallas and this is a good opportunity to
  37. 37. establish contacts. [Since the meeting Garry e-mailed information on COS faculty recruitmentfor this fiscal year and information on STARS funding.]Academic Program Review by DepartmentsDr. Perry referenced the handout on the listing of programs scheduled for external reviews andthe timeline provided by the Office of the Provost. Reviews for COS are scheduled in 2013-14.Graduate Student OrganizationsDr. Perry stated that Dr. Kay Robbins has suggested that COS have more graduate studentorganizations. Dr. Gorski commented that the student organization in Chemistry was not veryactive. Dr. Psarris indicated that the CS Graduate Student Association has a faculty advisor andhas been active in organizing activities, bi-monthly meetings and helping with open houseevents. The organization has assisted with recruitment in answering questions fromprospective students.Access ControlDr. Barea-Rodriguez stated that the safety office informed him that a door had to be locked inBSB. He requested the door remain open and he was sent a cost estimate of $3,000 to installcard access. Other department chairs commented that there were some instances withindividuals not having access to laboratories and they indicated that this was probably due toaccess logs not being up-to-date. Mr. Kerry Kennedy, Vice President for Business Affairs, andDan Pena, Interim Chief of Police, have been invited to attend the 14 September meeting of theDean’s Executive Council.Dinner for Seminar SpeakersDr. Barea-Rodriguez commented that the graduate services fee account cannot be used fordinner for seminar speakers. Garry requested that departments send him a realistic total dollarestimate of funds needed for these special occasions.House Bill 2054Dr. Perry reviewed the handout of the bill which relates to "requiring a public institution ofhigher education to establish uniform standards for publishing cost of attendance information,to conduct student course evaluations of faculty, and to make certain information is availableon the Internet." He indicated this is now law and extensive information listed in the handoutneeds to be posted. He asked the group if a committee should be formed. After a discussionDr. Perry requested Dr. Jordan follow-up on implementation. 2
  38. 38. NTT Faculty Searches and Use of NTT Faculty to Meet Academic Mission NeedsDr. Perry informed the group that Dr. Frederick is recommending all colleges implementorganized searches for non tenure-track (NTT) faculty when seeking out candidates to fillacademic area needs. Dr. Baird added that a coordinated, college-wide advertisement,announcing NTT opportunities, could be implemented by placing “College NTT Opportunities”advertisements in our local newspaper every fall or spring.Garry suggested that each department work toward identifying an optimum blend of T/TT andNTT to better meet individual department needs. With an optimum balance of T/TT and NTTfaculty our college’s departments total academic stream funding could be better distributed toour departments. Dr. Perry indicated that this could be an opportunity to hire new NTT andT/TT faculty to meet the college’s needs and indicated that this could be done over the nextcouple of months.Information from an American Association of University Professors (AAUP) committee reporttitled: The Status of Non-Tenure Track Faculty is available at: (downloaded 9/4/09 GDC)E-mailsDr. Perry requested that administrators be attentive to e-mails they send as they could berequested through the Texas Public Information Act. Some e-mails can be inflammatory.SACS Compliance Report Web LinksReviewers for the accreditation visit have received reports from UTSA. The reports makereference to links on websites. Links should not be changed and should remain active.CPRIT (Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas) GrantsInformation about grants was provided in the handout. Dr. Perry will work with Dr. Tsin on thislimited submission proposal.Workers Compensation Coverage of Employees Outside of Official AppointmentsDr. Perry referenced the copy of an e-mail from John DeLaHunt regarding workerscompensation. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis.Dr. Norman commented that he had heard appointments at 0% would no longer be processed.Garry responded that he would follow up. [After the meeting Garry e-mailed Bruce Tingle,Human Resources Management and Development, who indicated that 0% appointments wouldcontinue. Additional information was provided in e-mail exchanges.] 3
  39. 39. Dr. Perry reminded administrators that the Dean’s office should be informed of injuries within24 hours.Academic Continuity PlansDr. Frederick is requesting plans be developed in the event the swine flu becomes serious oncampus. A copy of an e-mail from Dr. Frederick and information from the U.S. Department ofEducation were provided in handouts. Information is available at: Jordan will obtain additional information.Post Doctoral FellowsDr. Jordan noted that he was not at the last meeting but handouts had been provided and initialdiscussions had taken place. A circumstance in one department brought to attention thatprocedures for appointment of post doctoral fellows in HOP 9.32(J) need to be followed. Anoffer letter should be sent to Dr. Perry for review prior to communicating the letter to thecandidate and copies of appointment documentation need to be filed in the Deans office.The Association of American Medical Colleges has drafted a compact that post docs andprinciple investigators may adopt. Their compact speaks to the relationships and responsibilitiesbetween the parties. Some schools have established a policy of using the compact. Dr. Jordansuggested that we might consider having such a document so as to avoid the type of difficultieswe are currently experiencing. Dr. Jordan will draft a template offer letter or develop a checklistof items that should be included in on offer letter for the departments to review. It is not clearthat a single template letter will be appropriate for all departments to use and therefore achecklist may be the most appropriate approach.Dr. Barea-Rodriguez commented that after the last DEC meeting he relayed information tofaculty about the suggestion of developing a compact for post doctoral fellows. The feedbackfrom the faculty was they do not want post doctoral fellows involved in activities that are goingto involve too much of their time. They suggested one workshop a year might be sufficient.Dr. Yacaman indicated that post doctoral fellows have an obligation to teach students and hedoes not want to see a lot of rules.Departments should continue to follow HOP 9.32J for appointing post doctoral fellows.Jump Start Program; Dialing for Freshmen Programs; COS Student Profile ReportDiane provided statistical handouts for the above mentioned topics.  Jump Start - This is the second year of the program and seven programs were offered. Some students improved their math placement by at least one semester. The program involves housing, tutoring, testing and meals. Funding and a location for a 4
  40. 40. coordinator of the program are being reviewed in order for the program to continue. The program has been effective as participants develop a rapport with program staff and tutors. Cost of the program is $10,000.  Dialing For Freshmen 2008-09 - Any cohort freshman who had not registered by June was contacted. Students provided reasons where they went not returning to UTSA and they are listed in the handout.  Student Profile - The profile was provided for spring 2009. Diane will be meeting with department chairs with their individual profiles. Our cohort will now include CAP students which may affect our graduation rate. We need to try and retain these students.DEC Meeting Schedule ChangesMeetings for fall 2009 were to be scheduled every three weeks. Due to some trips on Dr.Perrys calendar, some adjustments have been made to meeting dates.Woodrow Wilson Indiana Teaching FellowshipsAn informational handout was provided on these fellowships.New BusinessDr. Perry indicated that an offer had been extended for the position of Associate Dean forGraduate Studies and he was awaiting a response. 5
  41. 41. College of Sciences (COS)  Meeting of Dean’s Executive Council  14 September 2009  Present:   Dean – George Perry Department  Chairs  –  Edwin  Barea‐Rodriguez,  Waldek  Gorski,  Miguel  Jose‐Yacaman,  Sandy Norman  Associate Deans – Raymond Baird, Craig Jordan, George Negrete  Center/Institute/Program Directors – Aaron Cassill, Weldon Hammond, Joe Lazor  Undergraduate Advising Director – Patti Gonzalez Representative for Dr. Dutton – Stuart Birnbaum Retention and Graduation Analyst – Diane Elizondo Guest Speakers – Kerry Kenney, Dan Pena, David De Los Santos   Summary Notes  Access Control   Dr. Perry welcomed the individuals listed below to the meeting:    Kerry Kennedy, Vice President for Business Affairs   Dan Pena, Interim Chief of Police   David De Los Santos, Director, Security Systems  Mr.  Kennedy  stated  that  he  and  his  staff  are  here  to  serve  faculty  and  staff  with  the  highest level  of  service  and  they  appreciated  the  opportunity  to  hear  from  the  group.    He  indicated changes have been made in Access Control and he knows there is room for improvement.  Mr.  Kennedy  introduced  David  De  Los  Santos,  new  Director  of  Security  Systems.    David commented  that  he  has  been  making  changes  and  appreciated  the  opportunity  to  hear comments and concerns.  Chief Pena explained that he is continually working to streamline processes and he recently met with  Dr.  Barea‐Rodriguez.    He  commented  that  Access  Control  is  trying  to  adapt  services  to provide  the  level  of  access  needed  by  different  areas.    Some  areas  have  Locknitics,  which requires making changes on a computer and then going to the location and physically making the  change  on  the  machine.    With  the  DSX  system,  changes  only  need  to  be  made  on  the computer.  Dr.  Gorski  mentioned  that  there  was  an  egress  issue  with  a  lab  on  the  4th  floor  of  BSE.    His concern was that toxic chemicals could be removed.  He also mentioned that his card swipe did not always work consistently at two exterior doors of BSE.  Chief Pena will follow up with Dr. Gorski  to  check  his  card  and  the  card  swipe  units  as€