Social Media Etiquette 101
You Have to Give a Little, to Get a Lot.
To Take Advantage of any Social Network
to Increase Business Volume,
You Must First Join & Share.
To be Successful, You Must First Participate in that Social
#1. Why Social Media is Important ?
• 1. Protect your Reputation – Reviews Influence
• 2. Grow Your Audience: Target Ads, Content Posts
that Help to Grow Your Potential Customers to
• 3. Engage and Motivate Your Audience to Buy:
Social sharing of content drives traffic ( customers)
• 4. Track Your Results: Reporting by social media
platforms provide valuable insight into:
( a ) Interests; ( b ) Issues; and, ( c ) Intent.
Master Social Media’s Five
• #1. Why: Your Risk in Reputation Management;
• #2. Which: Current Top Performers for Food Service;
• #3. Where: Web site is Hub, Social is Distribution Effect;
• #4. What: Build Interest, Be Relevant, & Be Personal;
• #5. When: Timing Increases Reach, Frequency, &
• and, the How: Best Practices in Social Media
Messaging, Marketing &
#1. WHY: Social Media’s
Impact on Revenue:
• 7 out of 10 Consumers: Look Online First for Local
Business information. ( Your Web Presence VIP )
• 80% of Consumers: More Likely to Try New Things
Based on Social Media Friends’ Suggestions.
• 81% of Consumers: Say it’s Important for
Businesses to Respond to Reviews.
#1. WHY: Social Media’s Impact
• 51% of Facebook Users,, and 64% of Twitter Users,
are more likely to buy products and services from
businesses they ‘like’ or follow. ( Brand Visibility )
• 8 out of 10 Consumers: Likely to Seek the Opinions
of Others Online Before Buying Goods or Services.
• 64% of Consumers: Have Changed their Minds
Because of Those Opinions. ( Social Proof in Action )
Focus on Menu Graphics, Descriptions &
Restaurant’s Website is Designed to
“Restaurants and food outlets are among
the businesses that stand to benefit most
from the boom in mobile search, as
dining out is often an impulse decision
made while on-the-go.”
Your Restaurant’s Website:
Hub of Social Content, & Strategy
“Restaurants Need to Think About Mobile Web
for Customers: Make it Easy to See What You
“I ate in probably the best Italian restaurant
I’ve ever been in”
If Your Time, Budget are an Issue,
Focus on these Top 3 First
Critical To Be Found: Google+ Page,
With Business Location Registration.
• Critical to Control Your Online Message: By
• Critical to Leverage Facebook: Referrals, & Visibility
Managing Your Social Media Message
• Like it or not, Customers are Talking
about You Online. Even more are
#4 WHAT: Blog is Effective Social
A Blog is Interactive Centerpiece for Customer
#4 WHAT: Optimize Everything
• Add a Blog to Your Web Site; – Personalize your Relationship
with Existing Customers. - - Helps to Solicit New Ones with
Personality, Content, Photos, Recipes, and local Community
• Create Customer Contests and Give-a-ways, Write about how
various community groups are building a Better Community.
Celebrate the Community Builders in Your Area.
• This Content Strategy is what you post links and photos to on
the appropriate Social Platforms. Community Rocks
#4 WHAT: Pinterest for Fashion,
Décor & Food Visuals
Pinterest Shares are
Meant to Create Desire
Pinterest’s Best Use: To Create Links Back to
Your Menu Specials, Plate Presentations &
#4 WHAT: Pinterest: Power of Visual Imagery
Post Creative Photos of Menu Dishes on Pinterest to Attract New
Pinterest Important for
Developing Desire to Have
Pinterest Product Visuals and Facebook Community
Sharing are Driving Online Retail Sales.
• Link your Images to Facebook Ad Offers, or to your
Web Site’s Menu Display Page. Invite visitors to try a
• The 2 mile radius around your restaurant is the vital
80% of the Pareto Principle of 80/20.
• This is why Facebook is the most effective
restaurant marketing platform right now. It allows
you to promote by location. ( Especially their Ad
Display Location Settings)
#4 WHAT: LinkedIn, Yelp &
Local Business Directories Important
Make sure that Wherever a Customer Looks, Your
Restaurant is Found, & Listing Info is Accurate.
LinkedIn: Valuable for Staff Recruitment, Create a
Business Profile for your Restaurant’s Catering Plan
Local Business Directories like Yelp, Yellow Pages, &
TripAdvisor / Travel Sites should be Checked for
Accuracy, Links and User Reviews for Highlighting on
Your Social Sites.
HOW You Can Use Social Media
• You do not have to do everything at once. It is
intimidating. You do not have to use all the available
• However, the more you do to promote your location, and
the more that you engage with customers online, the
more you will stay in their top-of-the-mind awareness. (
Brand Recall )
• Awareness that will drive decisions as to where to dine,
or entertain with their friends next. Social referral is
Case Study in Restaurant Using
Social Platforms Effectively
Facebook Ads – Boosted Posts:
Actual Campaign Spend & Results
Additional Reference Material
Regular Blog Updates Increase Visitors to Your
# 4 WHAT: Blog Content is Social
Blog Content Suggestions:
• Education: Explain How You Develop Your
• Opinion/Newsletter: Be Your Community’s
• Guest Blogging: Invite Community Chairpersons
to Tell Their Organization’s Story.
• Website Search Optimization (SEO): Add Current
Content on a Regular Schedule. Retain a Freelancer.
65% CDN’s 14+, On Facebook
At Least Once a Month
29 Million Canadians are Over the Age of