Implementation of the Convention for the Safeguarding of Intangible Cultural Heritage in Romania
ROMANIAMinistry of CultureImplementation of the Conventionfor the Safeguarding ofIntangible Cultural Heritage inRomaniaSofia, Bulgaria, 27-28th May 2013
1. Legal framework• Law no. 410/2005 on the acceptance of theConvention for the Safeguarding of IntangibleCultural Heritage• Law no. 26/2008 regarding the Protection ofIntangible Cultural Heritage• Order of the Minister of Culture and NationalHeritage no. 2491/2009 regarding the LIVINGHUMAN TREASURES Programme• Governmental decision no. 90/2010 on theestablishment of the Ministry of Culture
2. InventoriesA. The Repertory of Intangible CulturalHeritage in Romania- Drafted by The National Commission forthe Safeguarding of Intangible CulturalHeritage- Vol. I was published in 2009, vol. II A will bepublished in 2013- Vol. II B is being drawn up- Vol. III is still a project
2. InventoriesB. The National Inventory of the LivingElements of Intangible Cultural Heritage- It represents an open list based on the dataand recordings kept in unconventionalarchives- It is organized and administered by TheNational Centre for the Conservation andPromotion of Traditional Culture, an institutionthat is subordinated to the Ministry of Culture
3. DigitizationA. The Repertory of Intangible CulturalHeritage in Romania, vol. I, is availableonline, in a bilingual form, Romanian-French, on the website of the Ministry ofCulture: www.cultura.roB. The National Inventory of the LivingElements of Intangible CulturalHeritage is available online, inRomanian, on the website of the NationalCentre for the Conservation and Promotionof Traditional Culture:www.centrul-cultura-traditionala.ro
4. Consultative bodies• The National Commission for theSafeguarding of Intangible CulturalHeritage- A scientific body subordinated to the Ministry ofCulture and established in 2007- It comprises specialists representing museums,universities and the research institutions of theRomanian Academy- Its main responsibility is to “coordinate theactivities meant to protect and promoteintangible cultural heritage and conducted incompliance with the cultural policies of theMinistry of Culture”
5. CooperationA. Bilateral cooperationRomania and R. of Moldova compiled thecandidacy file “Men’s Group Colindat.Christmas Time Ritual in Romania andRepublic of Moldova” for the RepresentativeList of the Intangible Cultural Heritage ofHumanity;The decision of UNESCO will becommunicated during the IntergovernmentalCommittee in Baku (2013)
5. Cooperation• B.1 Regional cooperationCandidacy file “Spring Celebration:Hidrellez – Saint George’s Day’’, along withTurkey, Serbia, Republic ofMoldova, Croatia, FYROM for theRepresentative ListThe file was submitted to UNESCO in March2013
5. Cooperation• B.2 Regional cooperationTransnational candidacy file ofRomania, Bulgaria, R. Moldova“Mărţişorul/Martenitsa” for the RepresentativeList of the Intangible Cultural Heritage ofHumanityThe first expert meeting will take place inBucharest, on the 13th of June 2013
5. Cooperation• C. South - East European ExpertsNetwork on intangible cultural heritageOrganized in 2010 in Romania (in the town ofRâmnicu Vâlcea)
6. Major Institutions• “Constantin Brăiloiu” Institute of Ethnographyand Folklore - The Romanian Academy• The National Centre for the Conservation andPromotion of Traditional Culture• “Dimitrie Gusti” National Village Museum• The National Museum of the Romanian Peasant• The ASTRA National Museum Complex in Sibiu
7. UNESCORepresentative ListRomania - Elements included in theRepresentative List of the IntangibleCultural Heritage of Humanity• The Căluş Ritual (in 2005 included on theList of the Masterpieces of the IntangibleCultural Heritage of Humanity, since 2008 onthe Representative List)• Doina (2009, the Representative List)• Craftsmanship of Horezu ceramics(2012, the Representative List)
8. The Living HumanTreasures Programme• Romania adopted the LIVING HUMANTREASURES programme through:- Law no. 26 of February 29th, 2008 (art. 7 andart. 15) regarding the protection of intangiblecultural heritage and- Order of the Ministry of Culture and NationalHeritage no. 2491 of November 24th, 2009• so far, 3 sessions took place (2010, 2011 and2012), following which, 14 LIVING HUMANTREASURE honorary titles were awarded(2010 – 5, 2011 – 5, 2012 – 4)
9. Candidacy filesCandidacy files submitted to UNESCO forthe Representative List:• A. Trans-national files• “Men’s Group Colindat. Christmas TimeRitual in Romania and Republic of Moldova”(Romania – Republic of Moldova)• Spring Celebration: Hidrellez - St. George’sDay (Romania – Republic of Moldova – Croatia –Turkey – Serbia - FYROM)• B. National files• The pilgrimage of Moisei• The pilgrimage of Şumuleu
10. Media campaignsProject: Protocol of cooperation betweenthe Ministry of Culture and the PublicTelevisionThe purpose of the protocol is the promotion inthe public space of subjects related to nationalcultural heritage, in all its forms – intangible,mobile heritage, historical monuments andarchaeological sites.
11. Networks1. County Centres for the Conservation andPromotion of Traditional Culture2. Ethnographic museums (Association formuseums)3. Romanian Association of Ethnological Sciences(ASER )4. Research institutions of the RomanianAcademy5. Universities with ethnology study programmes(University of Bucharest, Babeş BolyaiUniversity in Cluj-Napoca, North University inBaia Mare)
12. Multimedia DatabasesThe Institute of Ethnography and Folklore of theRomanian Academy, the National Centre for theConservation and the Promotion of TraditionalCulture and the ethnographical museumsadminister digitized archives on intangiblecultural heritage.These institutions, along with the CountyCenters for the Conservation and Promotion ofTraditional Culture also created documentaryfilm archives.
13. Educational programmes• Contest for young craftsmen - ASTRANational Museum Complex.• “Summer in the lane”, Contest for youngcraftsmen - “Dimitrie Gusti” National VillageMuseum.• Educational workshops for intangible culturalheritage as a permanent programme - TheNational Museum of the Romanian Peasant.• Icons on glass - The National Centre for thePromotion and Conservation of TraditionalCulture• Local traditional weaving workshop -“Augustin Bena” Cultural Centre, Alba county
14. Cooperation at centrallevel• Protocol establishing a framework ofcooperation between the Ministry of Cultureand the Ministry of National Education withthe aim of introducing cultural heritagerelated content in the formal compulsoryeducation (pre-university), in order to fosterattitudes of respect and protection of thenational and universal cultural heritage.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION!Cristian-George ISCRUCounsellorCompartment for Intangible HeritageDirectorate for Cultural HeritageMinistry of Culture – Romaniacristian.firstname.lastname@example.org