UNC Online Proctoring Network for Faculty - Entering Exam Details
Entering Exam Details into
Participating UNC System Campuses
ASU, ECU, ECSU, FSU, NCCU, UNCC,
UNCG, UNCP, UNCW, WCU and WSSU
Wait, before you get started…
• Did you post a proctoring statement and student
scheduling instructions in your course
• Did you include a statement regarding
proctoring fees in your course information?
• Did you explain to students that campus codes of
academic integrity and conduct apply during
proctored exam appointments?
• Are you providing students with ample time to
schedule and prepare for appointments?
Example Proctoring Statement
Students must schedule proctored exam appointments via UNC Online (http://online.northcarolina.edu/).
Appointments must be scheduled, at a minimum, two weeks prior to exam windows. To view detailed
scheduling instructions visit http://www.slideshare.net/UNCOnline/unc-online-updated
Campus codes of conduct and integrity apply during proctored exam appointments. To review these guidelines visit
(link for your campus codes of conduct here)
Students are responsible for fees related to proctored exams ; proctors’ fees are posted in UNC Online. Not all
proctors charge a fee (these locations quickly reach capacity prior to the start of peak testing periods)
Students must present a current/legible government issued photo ID prior to each appointment. Cell phones are
not permitted in testing areas (leave cell phones at home or in a locked car).
Exams for this course are online (not paper based). Therefore, students can schedule exam appointments with face-
to-face proctors or the 'Take Exam via Webcam' option via UNC Online. Online proctors are available almost 24
hours a day/7 days a week. All appointments occur in real time with live proctors. To learn more about ‘Take
Exam via Webcam’ visit http://www.slideshare.net/UNCOnline/unc-online-ta
If there are no proctors in your area (and you cannot use ‘Take Exam via Webcam’) start the invite a proctor
process as soon as possible. Visit http://online.northcarolina.edu/exams/invite.php to invite an individual to
submit a UNC proctoring application on your behalf. Note the guidelines for who can and cannot serve as a
Wait, one more important note…
Please enter the accurate duration it takes
for students to complete the exam. Do not
add extra time to the duration.
This action will ensure students are not charged for
time they do not use and proctors time/resources
Proctors are only obligated to honor the exam
duration posted into UNC Online.
Click on ‘Log In Now’ to log in
Note the 3 tabs: ‘Exams’, ‘Class
Roster’ and ‘GA/TA’
• ‘Exams’ tab: Permits faculty members to add
exam details to the system and review posted
• ‘Class Roster’ tab: Permits faculty members to
track students’ scheduling activity and access
proctors’ contact information. Faculty members
should monitor this tab on a regular basis.
• ‘GA/TA’ tab: Permits faculty members to add a
helper to the course. Helpers can add and access
Monitor ‘Class Roster’ tabs on a regular
If necessary, send scheduling reminders to
students. Setting scheduling deadlines is
The tab will populate as student schedule
appointments. Note that the ‘Class Roster’
tab filters by exam (the ‘Viewing Roster For:’
Adding Exam Details: Select the
‘Add Exam or Exam Details’ button
Follow the 4 steps: ‘Step 1: Setup’,
‘Step 2: Requirements’, ‘Step 3:
Release and Notify’ and ‘Step 4:
Faculty members can add basic exam
details to the system and exams (or exam
passwords) at a later date by selecting to
Release Exam Details only.
The sooner you enter exam details into
UNC Online, the sooner your students can
secure appointments. Many Free locations
and popular testing centers book up in the
Is UNC Online compatible with
Learning Management Systems?
• UNC Online is compatible with LMS’s
(Blackboard, Moodle, etc…).
My exam is online, do I need to
import it into UNC Online?
• However, you must create a password
protected exam via the LMS.
• Do not share the exam password with
• The case sensitive exam password must match
in the LMS and UNC Online.
Can I edit exam windows and exam
• Exam durations cannot be edited. Proctors and
students may have already confirmed
appointments and planned their schedules
around the time slot.
• Days cannot be deleted from exam windows.
Proctors and students may have already
confirmed appointments and planned their
schedules. However, days can be added to exam
windows (a good option if there is inclement
My exam is paper based, how will
it be returned?
• There are three methods of paper based exam
– The proctor can return the exam via fax (faculty
members must provide proctors with a fax number).
– The proctor can scan the exam and email it to the
– The proctor can scan the exam and upload it back to
UNC Online. A ‘Download’ icon will appear in the
faculty member’s exam icons.
– Proctors do not return exams via snail mail.
Who should I contact if a paper
based exam is not returned? Or
needs to be re-scanned?
• Contact the proctor.
• Proctors’ contact information can be accessed
via the ‘Class Roster’ tab.
What is ‘Take Exam via Webcam’?
• If an exam is online (not paper based,
online+paper or offline computer based)
students can opt to take exams with a face-to-
face proctor or ‘Take Exam via Webcam’.
• Students access the ‘Take Exam via Webcam’
option in student scheduling step 2.
• All ‘Take Exam via Webcam’ appointments
occur in real time with live proctors (proctors
do not proctor from home).
How does ‘Take Exam via Webcam’
• Proctors monitor students’ computer screens, faces and audio
• Proctors can detect virtual machines.
• Proctors have received proctor and FERPA training.
• All appointments occur in real time with live proctors.
• Proctors are based at ProctorU headquarters with a full technical
and supervisory support staff.
• Proctors remote into students’ computers to enter exam
• Students pass 3 identification checks: ID check, ID quiz and
students must log into UNC Online with their secure campus
credentials to access the appointment.
Contact us at