UFI Marketing Focus Meeting - Amsterdam 2009 - Peter Boodts
UFI 2009 - Amsterdam
Marketing Focus Meeting
The exhibitor’s point of view:
The value of exhibitions.
Marketing Communications Manager - Agfa Graphics
Agfa Graphics in the Agfa-Gevaert Group
GLOBAL TURNOVER 2008
3,1 billion euro
50% AGFA GRAPHICS
43% AGFA HEALTHCARE
7% AGFA SPECIALTY PRODUCTS
Agfa Graphics: Facts and Figures
Turnover 2008: 1.5 billion € 57%
Personnel 4700 worldwide
• Nr. 1 WW:
• In newspaper printing
• in newspaper CtP
• Nr. 1 in Europe: Sales office
• in offset plates Manufacturing site
• in CtP systems
A traditional media mix
We are active in a global B-to-B niche market.
• Print, Print, Print!
• Trade press advertising
• Web 1.0
• TRADE SHOWS!
MarCom budget: An inconvenient truth
How much do we spend on exhibitions?
• In 2000 33%
• In 2009 >50%
Trade shows are great!
• They are expensive.
• They are complex to manage.
• They are difficult to defend to the bean counters.
• They give you a terrible head-ache.
A trade show is the only medium that
allows face-to-face communication with
engaged customers & prospects.
Administration & budget
Things that make our lives easy/difficult.
• Order forms
• Standard vs. Optional Services
• Eg. Wi-Fi
• Sub contractor monopolies
• Travel cost
• Planes, trains, hotels, taxis…
Features that make or break an exhibition for us
• Guarantee that our competitors are there
• Hall aesthetics
• Stick to the floor plan as much as possible
• Building height
• Mixing Shell scheme and custom build
• Statistics accuracy
• Double counting, exhibitor counting,…