Master of Urban Planning Program OverviewPresentation Transcript
MURP Program Overview Department of Urban Planning UCLA Revised September 2010
Before we get started…
Will not address concurrent degree programs (J.D., MBA, M.Arch., Latin American Studies)
Fear and relaxation
Areas of Concentration
Students may choose from five areas of concentration:
1. Community Development and Housing (CDH)
Sub-area Community Economic Development (CED)
Sub-area Housing Policies and Development (HPD)
2. Design and Development (D&D)
3. Environmental Analysis and Policy (EAP)
4. Regional and International Development (RID)
5. Transportation Policy and Planning (TPP)
Optional, not a substitute for area of concentration
Leadership and Management of Nonprofit and Community-Based Organizations
Leaders in Sustainability
Master's students must complete a minimum of 18 courses (72 units).
There are five required core courses (20 units).
Typically, there are five area of concentration courses (20 units), including basic and elective concentration courses.
The remaining units are comprised of general electives, a fieldwork course (if required; four units), and capstone courses (up to eight units).
Five required core courses (20 units):
207 Applied Microeconomics for Urban Planning
220A Quantitative Analysis in Urban Planning
220B Quantitative Analysis in Urban Planning,
222A Introduction to Histories and Theories of Planning,
and one urbanization course, chosen with regard to your area of concentration (EAP can select any one of the three)
- UP 244 (or new #) (CEDH, EAP) (new)
- UP 281 (D&D, EAP)
-UP M254 (TPP, EAP)
-UP C233 (RID, EAP)
Fieldwork Requirements Option 1
(At least 300 hours of professional planning fieldwork. Students have two options for fulfilling this requirement)
1. Enrolling in four units of UP 496 (Independent Fieldwork) during the quarter of the internship or immediately following the internship. Students enrolled in UP 496 must submit an essay and a letter of evaluation from the employer to the Graduate Advisor, Robin McCallum, no later than the last day of finals week during the quarter of UP 496 enrollment.
Fieldwork Requirements Option 2
2. Petitioning to waive the requirement. If you have had at least twelve months of full-time professional experience at a responsible level prior to entering the program, you may petition to waive. In order to petition, a 5-7 page evaluative paper (see handbook for details regarding the content of the paper) and your resume must be emailed to the Graduate Advisor, Robin McCallum, by the end of the first year of studies.