• Pick an age range (0-3, 4-7, 8-10, 11-13)
• Pick a main character
• Think about having an animal as a character
• Choose plot(intro, problem, solve, resolved situation)
• Keep description to a minimum and use speech to keep things
• Think of a moral that you want to include
• Try and keep the book short
• Use only simple or compound sentences
• Use basic vocabulary but choose a couple of complex words to help
kids develop language
• Think of a happy ending
• Expresses a short simple idea in a single
• An independent clause expresses a complete
• E.g. I hate graffiti.
• A sentence that contains two independent
clauses that are joined
• E.g. I love graffiti, and I wish graffiti artists
were paid for what they do.
• Contain an dependent and independent clause
• A dependent clause expresses an incomplete idea
• E.g. When I wake up
• This idea needs is dependent on more information to make sense.
This is why it is called a dependent clause
• An independent clause expresses a complete idea
• E.g. I eat breakfast.
• This idea makes sense independent of any other information. This
is why it is called an independent clause.
• E.g. When I wake up, I eat breakfast.
• This is a complex sentence because it is a complete idea that is
created by combining a dependent and independent clause
Book Description Speech Moral Plot Simple