EMBA 5202 Brand Management Home Work II
Tuna Taş Executive MBA Student No: 1168106
What associations do consumers have for milk?
What are the implications of these associations in terms of building
brand equity for and increasing the consumption of milk?
•Sold in gallons
•mainly consumed at home
•Source of calcium
•First 6 months for babies
•Not very flavored
•Not the best thirst
•Mostly seen as a
Not competitive when
compared with other
Q1b.Implications of Associations
Less Diverse Flavour
Not the best thirst quenching
Usually consumed at home
Hispanics are main consumers
Consumed mostly at some
specific time of the day
Sense of health, security
Not funny, not exciting
Positive social approval
Weak personal attachment
Low sense of community
Low active engagement
Evaluate the CMPB marketing program now and back in the early 90’s.
What do you see as its strengths and weaknesses?
What changes would you make?
Objectives of the campaign:
1. Change consumer behavior
2.Increase Sales/Halt Decline
3. Increase mind share
• %72 to %78 # of consumers who reported consuming milk at least “several times
a week” (Objective 1.)
• From %1,67 decline to %1,07 increase (From -18M$ to 13MUSD) (Objective 2)
• %6,8 sales increase at the end of the year (Objective 2)
• %60 Recall Rate within 3 months (Objective 3)
• %70 Awarenes (Objective 3)
Old Marketing Campaign New Marketing Campaign
Adequate for commodity marketing Adequate for brand marketing
Traditional communication channels used Alternative communication channels used
Focused on regular milk drinkers
Focusing on Brand Equity
Q2b.S&W of the campaign
•A very creative approach (food was shown without milk to touch senses)
•Right STP (Segmentation,Targeting,Positioning)
•Strong partnerships with Creative Agencies
•Collaborative Marketing ( with complementary foods )
•Integrative Communication&Marketing (Right communication tools
(TV,ads,billboards) @right time (morning,late at noon,late at night))
•Not commodity anymore,it became a brand “Got Milk?”
•Because of time,only regular users (%70 of market) were targeted
•Deprivation concept was not effective on the Hispanics
Evaluate their Hispanic marketing initiatives.
Does the CMPB risk alienating its current consumer base?
The right targeting because
• Hispanics have a large representation in California population (%32,5) and population is
• Hispanics are the major group that spend more on milk than other groups (heavy milk
They didnt think of the cultural differences between two cultures because
• Not the idea of having milk was not something found funny by Hispanics
• When translated into Spanish,”Got Milk” means “Are you lactating?”
• They created a series of ads: Sacred ingredient: family, love & milk
• Got Milk was left untranslated
• They used a Spanish Language TV spot-La lorona
Hispanics felt that their culture were understood and the campaign was succesfull so
riskalienating probability seems to be low
There are several areas of growth that lay ahead of the CMPB—health, cheese, Hispanic,
and new channels of distribution. Given the trends, what should they do and how should
they do it?
They should keep on focusing:
• Health association of milk, because it is the strongest association. A contract with the government
would be beneficial to spend time on for the free of charge milk distribution to primary school
• Hispanics because their population thus consumption of milk is increasing
• Promoting the usage of cheese in both normal and diet(to keep he health as a strong association).
• Expand the usage of milk by solving portability problem by partnering with experienced goods
• Expand the usage of milk by solving monotonous flavor problem by investing more into R&D to find
different flavors (R&D should have input from farmers,processors and retailers)
• Expand the usage of milk by solving its image problem because most of the people think that it can be
just consumed at home . Co-Marketing with big food chains for attractive and special milk products
will be a good idea(Milk Shake i.e.).
• More emphasis on event marketing should be followed. (World Milk Day,1st of June)
• And all such activities will be supported by related advirtesements such as TV adds,online media,
How long can the CMPB keep running the “got milk?” campaign? What can they do to
keep the message and strategy fresh in the consumer’s minds? Are there other examples
of other successful campaigns that ran this long?
•Got Milk is in the market since 1993. (nearly 20 years)
•In that 20 years , majors changes in the world as well as in the branding concept. (new
communication channels and touch points are defined,STP is in life i.e. )
•So,CMPB has to refresh/update its advertising campaign.
•Transportation has become cheaper, production in Emerging Markets has become
cheaper so CMPB should think of globalization
Other Succesful Cammpaigns
•“Just do IT”,Nike,Late 80’s
•“Marlboro Man”,Marlboro,Late 50’s
•“Think Small”,Wolksvagen,Mid 50’s
•“The pause that refreshes”,Coca Cola,Late 30’s
•“We try harder”,Avis,Mid 50’s
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.