Role of Public Relation in Health Care Centres
Health - generally defined as the state of being free from
illness or injury.
It also indicates a person's mental or physical condition.
World Health Organization (WHO) defined
“Health is a state of complete physical, mental and
social well-being and not merely an absence of diseases
Illness - attributed to evil spirits, witchcraft, demons, adverse
astral influence, or the will of the gods.
Appeasing of gods by prayers, rituals and sacrifices were
carried out as curative measures
PAST REPORTS EXAMPLE:
“….. Montreal was afflicted with smallpox this Summer because
the Montreal people had a carnival last winter. It is to punish
our pride, the GOD sent us smallpox.”… The Preacher said.
“…..Superstition that nullified efforts to deal scientifically and
effectively with cholera in the Spanish and Italian
-The NewYork Times
September 15, 1885.
Medicine is the science and art of healing.
Encompasses a variety of health care practices
- maintain and restore health by prevention & treatment of illness.
- All human societies have medical beliefs that provide
explanations for birth, death, and disease.
Early records on Medicine
- Ancient Egyptian, Babylonian, Greek, Roman medicine
- Ayurvedic medicine in Indian subcontinent
- classical Chinese medicine
Since health is the concern of everyone for
everyone, health communication becomes
important in people.
Health Communication cater to the following
Declaration of Alma - Ata (1978)
“A process aimed at encouraging people to want to be healthy, to know
how to stay healthy, to do what they can individually and collectively to
maintain health, and to seek help when needed.”
Health Education can bring about changes in lifestyles and risk factors of
diseases. Most of the premature and health problems can be prevented
by early caretaking of human behaviour at low cost. The target
population must have access to proven preventive measures /and
Approaches of Health Education
1. Regulatory Approach: The Legislatives for imprisonment or punishment.
2. Service Approach : Basic Health Services in the 1960s
3. Health Education Approach: Conscious reasoning
4. Primary Health Care Approach: Self-reliable factors
5. Health Education Versus Propaganda
Models of Health Education
A method of communication that allow acquiring or accepting new
ideas and perceptions so that they become part of existing values.
Social Intervention Model
• Newly introduced ideas into existing society.
Contents of Health Education
Human Biology: Immunization programmes
Hygiene: Environmental Sanitation programmes
Family Health: Mother and Child Tracking System
Disease Prevention and Control: AYUSH -Long Lasting Insecticide
Treated Bed Nets
Mental Health: Counselling
Prevention of accidents: Engineers
Use of Health Services: Doctors and patients
Cold chain is the process used to maintain
vaccines, which is transferred from the
place of vaccine to the concerned clients.
Health Care Centres
• Primary Health Sub-Centres
• Primary Health Centres
• Community Health Centres
Primary Health Sub-Centres:
• A male health worker and a female health worker
Provision of medicines
• Consultation at critical stage
Primary Health Centres:
• Medical Care
• Education concerning prevailing health problems and the methods of
preventing and controlling them
• Promotion of food supply and nutrition
• Maternal and Child Health Care including family planning
• Immunization against infectious diseases
• Appropriate treatment of common diseases
• Provision of essential drugs
Community Health Care:
• 7 years of service in Primary Health Care
• Blood Storage facility
• Referral (transport) services
• Care of routine and emergency
• Anaesthetist, Dental Surgeon, Medical Officer of
District and State Hospitals:
• Multi-disciplinary professionals
• Integrated services
• Preventive, promoting and curative
PRACTICE OF HEALTH EDUCATION
Combined A-V Aids
METHOD OF HEALTH COMMUNICATION
National Aids Control Programme
National Vector Born Diseases Control Programme
National Leprosy Eradication Programme
Integrated Disease Surveillance Projects
In Manipur several hospitals are located with multidisciplinary
doctors and some trainees i.e.basic health workers are opening
private health care centres. A multidisciplinary doctor will know
how to cure the disease but not reach out for a healthy life for the
people living in far off places and other considerable matters. A
specialist can only work for the rarest of the rare occasions. Thus it
becomes important for all the people to become aware of the
health concerns and be more self-reliant of their own behaviour
for a healthy state.