4. What do hurricanes have to do with the Swedish chef from the Muppets? Yorn desh born, Bork, Bork, Bork! It needs the right ingredients to form!
5. World Sea Temperatures Warm sea temperatures needed for cyclones!
6. Cyclone components Consequences (what are the problems caused) Characteristics (what things go on in cyclones) Causes (what makes it happen)
7. Strong winds (150-200kph) Buildings blown down Warm ocean waters (above 25 °C) Descending air forming calm eye Large waves onto shore Thunderstorms Low-lying areas flooded Low pressure with rising air Large cumulonimbus clouds Tropical latitudes Extremely heavy rainfall Anti-clockwise rotation in Northern hemisphere Word Bank
8. 1. Ground heated in summer Low Low 2. Hot air rises (think of convectional rainfall) 3. Hot air moves out and cools down Towards Northern hemisphere (India) Towards Equator 4. An area of low pressure is created 5. Air from around the system is sucked in, causing ‘spinning’ winds 6. Cool air is pulled in to balance the pressure, causing the ‘eye’ – calm conditions 7. Cooled air returns to the system SUN
11. Why does the system rotate? <ul><li>Rotation is anti-clockwise in the Northern hemisphere, opposite in the Southern hemisphere </li></ul><ul><li>Coriolis force – the winds are moving straight, but because the Earth is rotating and moves underneath it, it appears to be deflected </li></ul><ul><li>The paths of hurricanes are not usually straight and are unpredictable </li></ul>
15. <ul><li>Rescue services couldn’t get to the area so people died due to lack of food, clean water etc </li></ul><ul><li>Crops destroyed so people starved </li></ul><ul><li>Contaminated water spread diseases e.g. cholera </li></ul><ul><li>No crops = no income so people poor </li></ul><ul><li>Trauma from loss of family members </li></ul><ul><li>Flooding of villages and farmland </li></ul><ul><li>Loss of houses, animals and crops </li></ul><ul><li>People drowned </li></ul><ul><li>Communication links like roads and telephone wires, broken </li></ul><ul><li>Contaminated drinking water </li></ul>Secondary effects (later) Primary effects (immediate)