1. Trendbüro Asia-Pacific
A Shift In Creative Industry
Key Findings www.trendbuero.com >> 1
2. Q1: In the next five years, which countries will be the most important
for the CI in a global context?
CHINA USA JAPAN GERMANY UNITED KINGDOM INDIA
Key Findings www.trendbuero.com >> 2
3. Q2: Which factors are responsible for the growing importance of the CI?
43% Fashionisation of Commodities
37% Design Becoming the Next Competitive Advantage
25% Increasing Need for Unique and Customised Products
23% Use Design to Simplify Functions of Complex Products
21% Global Shift Towards an Entertainment Society
Key Findings www.trendbuero.com >> 3
4. Q3: What are the five most important drivers of change for the CI in
– The growing importance of Intellectual Property Rights and the adoption of industry
standards on a global level is causing further internationalisation of the CI.
– Increasing competition and the availability of information, finance and resources are
making design the USP and giving well-designed products a competitive advantage.
– Global network of consumers and a shift towards digital lifestyle requires the CI to
get even closer to the individual and get even more interdisciplinary.
– Enduring saturation of mass markets and the economic empowerment of developing
countries will make niche markets and customised solutions more important.
– Decreasing product quality due to rapid development and shorter lifecycles are
triggering a counter trend where people desire quality and locally produced goods.
Key Findings www.trendbuero.com >> 4
5. Q4: What are main impacts of these changes?
– Increasing global convergence of culture, concepts and trends require improvement
of intercultural competence from companies as well as the their ability to ignite
desire for global values and visions.
– It is better to be the first with a good-enough solution than the last with a
perfection one. To satisfy increasing demands of consumers with limited purchasing
power, companies should focus on quality and the basic functionality of products.
– Product lifecycles are evolving. To keep pace with increasing consumer demands and
rapidly changing product environments, products are continuously tested, improved,
and marketed. Beta markets are the new mass markets.
– Fields such as biology, technology, social science and artificial intelligence are
increasingly important in the development of consumer-oriented solutions in a
complex and continuously changing environment.
Key Findings www.trendbuero.com >> 5
6. Q5: Which brands, products or concepts are pioneering the CI today and
in the future?
Key Findings www.trendbuero.com >> 6
7. Q6: Where will the fertile grounds for innovation in the CI be in the
77% Digital Communication
56% Entertainment and Event Marketing
15% Energy and Environment
12% Interface Design
Key Findings www.trendbuero.com >> 7
8. Q7: Which parts of the CI will grow the most within the next three
Interface Design Technology
Key Findings www.trendbuero.com >> 8
9. Q8: What are challenges the CI face today and in the immediate future?
57% Slow Unification of Laws vs. Quick
Globalization of Design
43% Disparity Between Purchasing Power and
Higher Consumer Demands
38% Lack of Cultural Understanding
24% Open-Source Culture
Key Findings www.trendbuero.com >> 9
10. Q9: Which fields within the CI are facing the most difficulties?
67% Music and Film Industry
58% Classic Forms of Advertising
38% Print Publishing
12% Fine Arts
Key Findings www.trendbuero.com >> 10
11. Q10: Which current examples best illustrate how the CI is changing?
– Consumers are more involved in product development, becoming co-producers.
– Classic product lifecycles turn into a continuously evolving process, e.g.
American Idol (research, development and promotion are occurring the same time).
– Design is becoming the crucial competitive advantage. iPod created a new product
category where traditional mp3 players cannot compete.
– Customers promote their favorite brands and products via platforms like YouTube. But
these platforms need creative minds providing content that is worth sharing.
Key Findings www.trendbuero.com >> 11
12. Research Design
– Trend Farm, Beijing: an expert workshop was conducted with 12 experts from the CI
with working experience in the EU/USA/Asia attending
– Online Expert Survey: 78 experts from the CI in the EU/Asia participated in the
– Visionairs Studio, Berlin: a one-week workshop during the Creative Industry
Conference in Berlin with 10 experts from the CI from the EU/Asia attended
Key Findings www.trendbuero.com >> 12